PDA

View Full Version : What's the Disney Difference?

thejens
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
For those of you who have been on other cruises also, I wonder what is the difference. I loved a recent cruise on the Norwegien Cruise Line Jewel. It was a new ship, great food, shows etc. I liked the idea of eating when and where I wanted. I love Disney World and have 2 kids so am considering Disney for a future cruise. I can't help but think the flexibility of the freestyle dining is a lot easier with kids however. Would love comparisons.

TammiMcMan
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I liked the idea of eating when and where I wanted. I love Disney World and have 2 kids so am considering Disney for a future cruise. I can't help but think the flexibility of the freestyle dining is a lot easier with kids however.The only restrictions are on the main dining rooms for dinner. If you want flexibility, you have room service, Topsiders/Beach Blanket buffet, Pluto's Dog House, plus a couple of other counter service dining. It was nice taking the time to go through all the restaurants on our first trip, but since then, we've skipped them a few times and just done dinners on our own.

PirateStitch
04-05-2007, 01:48 AM
When comparing cruises and asking what the difference is... DISNEY, disney is the difference. Disney offers different experiences for everyone at any age. Disney goes that extra mile to make your dreams come true. Disney, is the only cruiseline that offers rotational dining. Which means that your going to be eating in different resturants each night of your cruise. In addition, your waitstaff travels with you to each new and exciting place. They offer early and late dinner times, as well as buffets, pizza, hotdogs, etc. There is something truly for everyone. Not to mention the Adult Only Dining at Palo. Which is beyound your wildest dreams .
Another interesting fact is that Disney is the only cruisline that is able to light fireworks off at sea. Which is breathtaking to see on the water under the sky. Disney does a great job at involving you, your significant other, and or family into everything! Each cast member is happy to assit with anything. Oh, and I can't put words to the Disney Shows! It was just like watching Disney on broadway, or even disney on ice.
The onboard experience is truly never ending. Theres differnt pools for kids, family, and adults only. Constantly different activites going on such as wine tasting, learning to draw, trivia, bingo, singing, pin trading etc. Also, don't forget to check out Disneys area for kids only! I don't have children of my own, but during our trip in March at dinner kids at the table coudln't wait to go back to their age specific clubs! So, you'll have fun knowing your kids are having fun while enjoying some relaxation.
Just here me out when I say that taking a Disney Cruise gives you so much peace at mind. Everything is done to make sure you have the best time ever! I went on my first Disney 4 night cruise in March, and turned around and booked a 7 night Eastern Cruise at the very end of April. So, if that gives you any insight into how great Disney is. I can't wait to have children of my own to take one day. Currently its just my husband and I ! I hope this helped. I've been on Carnival as well. And they can't even hold a candle to Disney Cruiseline. Goodluck. Hopefully, you'll be joining the rest of us as Castaway Club members after your first cruise !

atruman
04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
The shows on Disney cruises are award-winning. That combined with the fireworks, the quality of the Sail away party, and other on board parties, not to mention that it is one of the few cruise lines where soft drinks are included in your sailing price, there is a fair amount of Disney Difference on board a Disney Ship.

And, as mentioned by the previous posters, there are places you can eat out side of the times you are booked. Those times only refer to the seatings at the restaurants. That said, if you want to see something with a lot of Disney flair, don't miss your seating at the Animator's Palette.

I can't wait to go again.

thejens
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Wow, now I am really wishing I had more vacation time and more money!!! Common Disney addict wishes I suppose!

richardsa98
04-06-2007, 07:14 AM
After reading these posts, I can not wait until August 2008 when I go on my first "Disney" cruise. I too was worried if it would match up to the great treatment I received on Royal Carribean, but I am not worried anymore:party: Thanks everyone...

stitchfan
04-12-2007, 12:24 AM
The difference between other cruise lines and Disney is the same as between other theme/amusement parks and WDW.

Other posters have given all kinds of details, but that's the essence of the difference. You are entering the House of Mouse, this time at sea. If you like cruises and are a Disney fan, it just doesn't get any better.

Stitchfan

DisneyDudet
04-21-2007, 01:51 AM
My parents have been on another cruise line before, and my grandparents have as well. Depending on the type of person you are, you may or may not enjoy the DCL. My grandparents really only want to sit around and do nothing on the ship, so they were content, and thought that it ranked the same on their scale (they're weird old people any way).

My parents, on the other hand, LOVED the cruise. My dad loved Disney's Art of Entertaining series, where they make a dish from the ship and teach you hoe to make it, and give you the recipe. They did this with every course, including drinks. They also had fruit carving and napkin folding as well. He loved that there was so much to do, but plenty of time to do nothing. My mom loved the spa and the seminars as well. The loved the fact that detail was put into everything there is, food, shows, upkeep, everything.

I love it because, well, its Disney. The way they basically make you be a family is great. I don't EVER want to go on another cruise line. My dad, who BTW, never thought he'd like to cruise (he chose the land position while he was in the US Coast Guard for a reason), has already decided that he wants to try to get on the inaugural sailings of the new ships (he came up with that idea himself.. you don't see me arguing!).

Now, I can't describe the magic that I've experienced, because it would probably be just words to you. You can read DCL trip reports here (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=97541).

Here is an excerpt from one of my reports. The name, Charly, mentioned in it is a cast member, a member of the adult cruise staff. I won the Disney Music Trivia game, and thats where I met him. After that, every time I saw him, he spoke to me by name, as well as my family. I hope this gives you an idea about the "Disney Difference"...

Now, let me interject here on my Disney service rant. I know the parks are famous for their superior customer service. They are celebrating stuff they do everyday. Honestly, I have never been treated as well EVER by anyone than the staff on this ship. Every part of the trip was surrounded by Disney service to the maximum. If you want to really know what it is, its the Disney Cruise Line. The people made it magical. I'm in tears a month after this trip writing this because of how happy they made me on that trip. For someone like Charly to come in to contact with, pretty much, the entire ship a day, he remembered me. My name, where I came from, and even talked about his friend that lived near me. How often does that happen anywhere else. I think Disney has trained these people well and has chosen the best: those who really WANT to make your trip magical and not because of tips. These people dont' make too much, even with tips. They are away from their families and their countries and live in very tight spaces. Many don't get off the ship much and don't have too many amenities. Even though they ahve all that to deal with, they are still smiling at you, welcoming you to the ship, cleaning the floors of the elevators, setting up midnight buffets... all with smiles. They are the most amazing people I have ever met. I wish I could communicate with them, because it would be so wonderful to keep up the friendships I made during the trip. They were really my friends.

AvaNellMouse
04-21-2007, 08:53 AM
It is nice that the adult areas are comfortable, quiet and without loud, obnoxious 20-somethings trying to 'hook-up'. DH and I don't have kids but just a few days ago we were discussing the fact that we would both rather observe a four year-old having a tantrum than a drunk collegeate any day of the week.
We are charmed by the little things on the cruise that make it a complete Disney immersion experience. I tell friends with kids that the parks are great but if they really want to relax and enjoy time with the Mouse, they have to cruise.
(only 18 months to go...):cool:

TammiMcMan
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
It is nice that the adult areas are comfortable, quiet and without loud, obnoxious 20-somethings trying to 'hook-up'. DH and I don't have kids but just a few days ago we were discussing the fact that we would both rather observe a four year-old having a tantrum than a drunk collegeate any day of the week.I know we tend towards stereotyping, but I have to say, that we saw more obnoxious, drunk 40 and 50 year olds at the adult pool, than younger people. And "hook ups" were more of the teenage variety.

For what it's worth, they do have mixers for the younger singles at the nightclubs. We found the collegiate age group to be one of the best behaved. But that's just our particular experiences.

DisneyDudet
04-21-2007, 04:43 PM
As a member of the 20's somethings, single as all get out, it depends on when you go. I was the only one my age on the ship that I saw. I went in Jan, so most colleges had started back up, while I had just graduated.

Tammi, you are right, there were more obnoxious drunk adults, and non drunk adults on the ship than any other age group (including young kids).

My high school senior class went on the Disney cruise way back in 2002. We weren't roudy either.

The teenage crowds stick together in their hang outs most of the time.

But hey, I got hit on by two married men who were in the bar together... so, it takes all kinds!

There are adult only areas of the ship, which makes it nice if you want to get away from the younger crowd, but beware, the adults are there!

AvaNellMouse
04-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Yikes! I hope the adult rowdies you experienced are doing something else next October!
We love DCL and spent far too much time playing batgammon in Diversions. It was so nice to just relax and enjoy!

TammiMcMan
04-21-2007, 11:19 PM
We love DCL and spent far too much time playing batgammon in Diversions. When my husband and I cruised alone, that's exactly what we did. We had dinner every night in Palo and then went to the sports bar to play Backgammon and have a Baileys. There were never more than a handful of people in there watching a game. I loved it.