PDA

View Full Version : San Angel for Illuminations?

thejens
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone always talks about Rose and Crown for Illuminations. I have ADRs for 6:10 p.m. hoping that I can hold out for patio views. But Illuminations is at 9:00 p.m. I worry this is too early. Last year we could not get patio, I think the ADRs were for 7:30 p.m. We had to leave our seats and I had to have my son on my shoulders and the view was obstructed by trees (not to mention my son was getting heavy! he was nine years old!) Can you see Illuminations from San Angel? Is there a recommended time? Is it luck of the draw? I loved the food at R&C, but love Mexican also.

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
San Angel is inside of the Mexico Pyramid; it has no outside views at all.

You could get lucky and snag a lagoon side table behind the Cantina (outside CS restaurant in Mexico). You'll have to be early, and lucky, as this is a popular option.

R&C lagoon side tables with views are harder and harder to come by.

Good luck with your trip! :mickey:

ElenitaB
04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Though I enjoy R&C, I don't think it offers the best view of Illuminations. Like Maleficient's Dad says above, San Angel Inn is inside but the Cantina de San Angel does offer some first rate viewing. The only thing is that you have to get there EARLY and stake out your claim. Even at that, people will come along at the last minute and stand right at the railing and block your view.

We've had an earlier dinner (6:00 or 6:30 ADR) and then walked over to the benches along the water's edge between Germany and Italy. As long as one person in our party is there, the others can roam. (I've been known to wait to have dessert from the stand outside Italy with a nice cappuccino and stake out a spot while the rest of my crowd indulges their need to explore the stores in Japan.)

big blue and hairy
04-04-2007, 08:06 AM
The only thing is that you have to get there EARLY and stake out your claim. Even at that, people will come along at the last minute and stand right at the railing and block your view.

Uuuuuhhhh....nope. I won't do that to someone, and I won't allow someone to do it to me.

A few years ago we had that situation. DW and I were sitting 1 1/2 to 2 hours ahead of time. 5 minutes ahead of time people started trying to get into the space. I stood up and spread out (I'm a pretty good sized guy, and was about 90 lbs heavier then). The folks we were talking to started to get a little upset, not understanding what I was doing. I turned around to them with a smile on my face and said, don't worry, I won't be in your way when the show starts, and neither will they... Everybody was happy again...except the interlopers...lol

:sulley:

King Triton
04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Uuuuuhhhh....nope. I won't do that to someone, and I won't allow someone to do it to me.

A few years ago we had that situation. DW and I were sitting 1 1/2 to 2 hours ahead of time. 5 minutes ahead of time people started trying to get into the space. I stood up and spread out (I'm a pretty good sized guy, and was about 90 lbs heavier then). The folks we were talking to started to get a little upset, not understanding what I was doing. I turned around to them with a smile on my face and said, don't worry, I won't be in your way when the show starts, and neither will they... Everybody was happy again...except the interlopers...lol

:sulley:

I agree no one should push their way into spaces where people are sitting....

But, I don't agree with you sitting at Cantina de San Angel for two hours before Illuminations, unless there were plenty of interior tables available for diners. My experience at CDSA is that it can be difficult to find a place to sit and EAT, which is the purpose of the restaurant. You don't need two hours to eat your meal...if the restaurant is crowded, you should yield your spot to someone looking to eat their meal.

Willowwind
04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
You don't need two hours to eat your meal...

Seems to me, that when I'm with friends I spend two or more hours lingering over dinner all the time. Why should it be different on vacation?
As long as you're patronizing an establishment, there's no reason you shouldn't be there. I like to at a meal, talk with friends, relax a bit and enjoy the atmosphere, give the kids a chance to run off and do things I don't want to, have a drink or two, eat dessert, and generally enjoy my vacation. Not everyone does Disney commando style, some of us like to relax.

King Triton
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Seems to me, that when I'm with friends I spend two or more hours lingering over dinner all the time. Why should it be different on vacation?
As long as you're patronizing an establishment, there's no reason you shouldn't be there. I like to at a meal, talk with friends, relax a bit and enjoy the atmosphere, give the kids a chance to run off and do things I don't want to, have a drink or two, eat dessert, and generally enjoy my vacation. Not everyone does Disney commando style, some of us like to relax.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't think it takes two hours to eat a meal. At a table service restaurant, sure...but at a counter service, when tables of any kind are at a premium, I think you should have the courtesy to move on when you're done.

Goes4FastPass
04-04-2007, 02:53 PM
There is what seems like fewer and fewer places to watch illuminations. The area on the lake directly on a stright line between SE and the AE is often not opened - "wind". They have made some of the best areas from Italy to Morocco private party spots which are often just a few people sipping champagne and wondering why the little people stand 10 deep at the fences facing the lake.

In my view, if people want to camp out long before illuminations - and many people do - then they shouldn't be hassled, including at the Cantina in front of Mexico. It might seem unfair for people who just bought food at the counter there to have nowhere to sit. What's the alternative? I guess the seated peole could eat one chip every 2 minutes.

If I'm at EPCOT at 8pm and I feel like (eating) a taco, I consider, "Nope. It's an hour 'til Illuminations and the seating area will be full."

Duchess99
04-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't see a problem with staking a place at Catina. I could sit there and drink margaritas and eat chips all night. That's a relaxing end to a long day of walking in EPCOT.
I think if people want to camp out there fine...people camp out at all the other good spots, why not there?

SBETigg
04-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't see a problem with staking a place at Catina. I could sit there and drink margaritas and eat chips all night. That's a relaxing end to a long day of walking in EPCOT.
I think if people want to camp out there fine...people camp out at all the other good spots, why not there?

I agree. Especially if you're not just there to eat a meal, but you are relaxing and still nibbling and drinking. You're still a paying customer, the table is still yours. If you came late and can't find a spot to eat, that's a shame for you. Tables with a view are hard to find after 6 at the Cantina.

thejens
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Hmmm.... being a rather small person with small kids I guess we'll stick with our strategy of Rose and Crown. Of course we'll be drinking a lot of beer and eating lots of that sweet toffee dessert stuff and generally lingering... but I figure if I am still eating its fair...

SBETigg
04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
The Rose and Crown has a lovely beer garden adjacent to the restaurant that requires no reservations where you can sit and enjoy as long as you like, and drink beer and even bring in a cs meal or dessert.

And if I show up at a cs late and run into the Illuminations crowd where there's a view of the show, I never expect to find tables available. That's just how it works. If eating is my priority, why would I take a table from people who want to watch the show? If watching the show is my priority, I know to get there early.