PDA

View Full Version : Some DVC Questions

crazykids
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
We are looking to buying into DVC & I have a couple questions:

1) We are looking to purchase at Animal Kingdom Villas. Will our usage month be the month that we actually buy in or can we pick this month. If we typically go in August/September, what would be the best usage month to have?

2) On the point charts were the "weekly" amount of points are listed - is this for 6 nights or 7 nights?

richardsa98
04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
1) We are looking to purchase at Animal Kingdom Villas. Will our usage month be the month that we actually buy in or can we pick this month. If we typically go in August/September, what would be the best usage month to have?

It depends on the special that is running at the time. We bought in last month, but our usage month is October because they gave us our points for 2006.

2) On the point charts were the "weekly" amount of points are listed - is this for 6 nights or 7 nights?
the weekly points are for 7 nights, not 6

Good Luck and enjoy:)

jefmblrd
04-03-2007, 06:40 PM
You don't have a usage month; you can go anytime; however, some times of the year will cost you more points than others. We bought in February, and that begins our usage year. You can make reservations at your home resort 11 months prior to when you want to go to WDW, so that's pretty flexible.

As far as the points charts go, you simply add up the points for the length of time you want to stay at the resort you want to stay in during a certain time of year. Those points are going to be higher during peak season and on Friday and Saturday nights. You need to purchase enough points to vacation the way you want. For example we have 270 points and that covers the way we want to vacation in Disney. The points for AKV in 2007, for example, for a studio, standard accomodations during the "magic" time periods would be 110 points. They would go up to 144 during
"premier" times. If you add up the nights, they would be 7 and include one Friday and one Saturday night.

I hope that helps and is not too confusing.

I would suggest you go to the DVC website and check that out as well.

FiggyFan
04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
jefmbrld -

I think the question refers to the use year. Your use year does not necessarily start in the month you made your purchase. For example, we bought in December and have an August use year. Your use year defines when you get your new set of points, and when your banking deadlines are.

As far as use year and a reservation strategy, the only thing I have found to be a bit awkward is scheduling a trip in late July or early August. Since my use year ends on July 31, a trip that starts in July and ends in August would span 2 use years. This raises all kinds of interesting banking/borrowing questions that I don't want to deal with! This year, I am going down on August 2nd, so I've already banked my leftover August 2006 points.

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Traditionally, your use year will be anchored to the month in which you buy - if you buy today, your use year would begin April 1. However, DVC runs many promotions and specials which allow for much flexibility in the "use year" month. Additionally, if you buy through resale, you're purchasing someone else's use year and points.
As far as what month is the best... that depends greatly and you'll get several opinions on the question. Best advice? Buy when you're ready to buy. You can make the "use year" month work for you through borrowing, banking, and some advanced planning.

7 Nights.
You're more concerned with nightly allotments - if you plan wisely, you'll do your best to avoid Friday and Saturday nights at DVC accomodations (especially the 1BR & larger sizes) as these take a huge bite out of your points! Okay, that's argumentative, but people who travel down there often or don't stay for a week, do avoid Friday and Saturday nights. They are significantly higher in point use than the other nights of the week.

Good luck! :mickey: