PDA

View Full Version : Nov 25-30 or Dec 9-14?

dntccc
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
From what I have been reading on here, it seems as if people are saying that the week immediately after Thanksgiving weekend, while at one time was a not-so-crowded time to go, is now a relatively crowded time to go. By this I do not mean crowded like peak summer time or a major holiday, but more crowded than an off-season time.

Here is our situation. I called WDW and asked the person's opinion about when would be the better time to go crowd-wise of late Nov/early Dec. The person recommended the week right after Thanksgiving weekend saying that then the crowds that were there for Thanksgiving have gone and the Christmas crowds have not yet arrived. Also, a guide book I have (I don't think I'm supposed to post the title due to the rules of this board) gives that time as a non-busy time to go. Based on this, we planned to drive to Mobile, AL Wed. evening (11/21) and spend Thanksgiving day there with my wife's mother. We then were going to drive to Orlando, FL on Fri. (11/23) and stay at an off-site hotel. We then were going to go to a non-Disney site, such as Sea World on Sat. (11/24). Our check-in day at WDW is 11/25 checking out/leaving on 12/1. (I understand that there is good possibility that the taping of the Christmas parade will be 11/30 - 12/1. However, I was told that as long as you avoid the MK those days, the other parks are not crowded.)

Our reasons for choosing this time of year were 1)to avoid excessive heat, 2)to avoid long waits for rides, and 3)to be there for the Christmas decorations and MVMCP - basically this is in order of importance. I know we could go in Sept for short waits on rides, but we do not want to have to deal with the heat (especially since we have a son who will turn 4 in Sept and a daughter that was just born on 3/15/07). We considered going in Jan. but decided this would not be a good idea due to the high probability of some major attractions being closed for maintenance during that month.

Given our situation, we can change our dates to 12/9-12/14 if this would be the better time. We would just drive down to WDW the day before and not go to a non-Disney site. We then would probably visit my wife's mother on the drive back home.

How big of a difference is there in wait times for rides for these times (11/25-11/30 versus 12/9-12/14)?

faline
04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
The whole period from just after Thanksgiving to the week or so before Christmas is becoming an increasingly popular time to go to Disney World.

Generally, though, crowds during this time frame are relatively low with some moderate peaks. I wouldn't hesitate to go either sets of dates.

TinyTink
04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I would go with the 9-14. I have been there during those dates in December and its been great!! Christmastime at WDW can't be beat! :mickey:

dntccc
04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I would go with the 9-14. I have been there during those dates in December and its been great!! Christmastime at WDW can't be beat! :mickey:

Are you saying that from your experiences, wait times are generally shorter during those dates as opposed to 11/25-12/1? As far as Christmas decorations/activities, from what I have read/heard, they will be taking place during either times (11/25-12/1 and 12/9-12/14).

KLD
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM
We were in WDW Nov 29 - Dec 10/06. We found our first week ideal. Very low crowds, short lines and few waits, but by Dec 8 and 9, the crowds had increased and the lines were much longer and there were some attractions we couldn't even get to. Hope that helps!

dntccc
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
We were in WDW Nov 29 - Dec 10/06. We found our first week ideal. Very low crowds, short lines and few waits, but by Dec 8 and 9, the crowds had increased and the lines were much longer and there were some attractions we couldn't even get to. Hope that helps!

So it looks like, based on this, that last year the week immediately following Thanksgiving was a "low crowd" week - at least for the days you were there during that week (11/29 - 12/2). Thank you for that information.

Jeri Lynn
04-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I have been to WDW the week after Thanksgiving a few times...I have never had a problem with it being overly crowded, sometimes there might be a small wait for the more popular or new rides, but it's not bad...the only crowded place we went to was the Magic Kingdom on the weekend they were taping the Christmas parade...this year we will avoid going to this park on that weekend.

You might want to check out when the Pop Warner Leagues will be there, they are usually there in the beginning of December, that might also affect your decision!!

Have fun planning!

LoriMistress
04-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Go during November.

MsMin
04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I think your Nov. plan sounds ideal.
We don't have any small children and it is difficult to manage Christmas so close to a big trip. I have done it the past 4 years and come back tired and bang.. Christmas is here. Of course last year we arrived home on the 23rd.
I don't see a lot of difference in the Christmas experience btwn those weeks. I do think that the weekdays are less crowded during either week you are talking about than the weekends.
I think the plan you have outlined sounds great, stopping in Mobile and traveling on.
Hope you and yours have a wonderful time with whatever date you choose.

dntccc
04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Thank you for all the responses. I think we are going to stick with our Nov plan (at WDW 11/25-11/30). Now we just have to decide if we want to go to SW on 11/24 or brave the Thanksgiving crowds at WDW and go there an extra day.

TinyTink
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Are you saying that from your experiences, wait times are generally shorter during those dates as opposed to 11/25-12/1? As far as Christmas decorations/activities, from what I have read/heard, they will be taking place during either times (11/25-12/1 and 12/9-12/14).

Well, I have been at both times, and as far as wait times go, both are comparable. The wait times don't jump up too dramatically from after Thanksgiving to the second week of December. There may be more people, but its still a wonderful time to go, very managable. I just suggested the later dates because they are closer to Christmas, that's all. I wasn't referring to wait times (since both times are similar), which I should have clarified. Personally, if I'm going to go at Christmastime, I like to go closer to the 25th (even though holiday festivities do start up since around Thanksgiving time) because I'm feeling more Christmasy. But...it's just my personal choice, either way you can't go wrong! :santa: :santa3:

Now we just have to decide if we want to go to SW on 11/24 or brave the Thanksgiving crowds at WDW and go there an extra day.
I'd do Disney unless you plan on going to SW anyway. When its a busy time, pretty much any theme park in Orlando will have some sort of crowds, (some greater than others though, of course) Disney or not . I wouldn't worry about the crowds too much, you'll have time once they clear out in the proceeding days. Even if you can't do a lot of attractions, you'll still be there soaking it up, enjoying the pretty Christmas decor!

wifey5794
04-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I will be there at that time too and as always I will just plan on avoiding MK over the weekend for the taping of the parade and will do MVMCP during the week!!

LoriMistress
04-06-2007, 08:42 PM
For the most part, I've heard that after Thanksgiving is relatively has smaller crowds then the first two weeks of December. If you're that concern, I think as long as you plan your vacation and make your ADRs there won't be too much of an issue.