PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR fans' chance to gripe!

SandmanGStefani24
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
So we love NASCAR, but each fan has their gripe with someone or something about the sport. So, here are my two main gripes right now...
1. Robby Gordon./The guy can drive in baja, and might know a thing or two about open wheel racing, but he has no business in Cup. Each week I watch as he takes out at least one innocent victim or wrecks himself at least once. On top of all that, he seems to think when a crash occurs it's always the other driver's fault. I think Michael Waltrip said it best when he said "I think Nascar should permanently suspend robby gordon for being an idiot."
2. COT debut tracks./Ok, so can someone explain why it is that a car built completely around aerodynamics and safety is debuted at the smallest and slowest tracks on the circuit? Why not test them at a track where any and all flaws can be seen upfront? If Nascar is worried about points or the chase, why not test it at a non-points race like the All-Star or the Shootout? Not the best place to try it out in my opinion...
Any other thoughts or gripes about these or anything else?

disneymom15
04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I for one don't like the COT. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. I also don't like the chase for the cup. Oh, and one more thing, I liked the cars racing back to the caution flags.

Marker
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I have to say that I think I'm going to like the COT. There are less adjustments, it drives "clunkier" more like cars of old, I think it'll make driver skill more important. And there's no way I'm going to complain about safety measures. I find it interesting that the older drivers don't seem bothered by it, but the younger ones, who didn't drive the old cars, seem to be the ones with issues.

You pretty much don't hear the drivers complaining about the safety measures either, and we know drivers like to complain. Racing back to the line, SAFER Barriers, pit road speed limits, modern restraint systems ... I think they all understand the benefit.

If was going to have a gripe, I think it would be the top 35 in owner points not having to qualify their way into the race. Personally, I'd love to see everyone have to qualify each week, perhaps a "bye" to the winner of that race last year, but thats it. However, I know with the money sponsors pay that'll never happen. But I think 35 is way too many. I think it's crazy that rookies, such as Regan Smith gets an automatic entry, and veterans like Dale Jarrett, Michael Waltrip, etc don't. A rookie running his first cup race has no business getting the free pass.

I also miss the days when they were driving "stock" cars. When you could tell what the car was by looking at it, not just by reading the stickers on the nose.

SandmanGStefani24
04-03-2007, 03:58 PM
:ditto:

I agree with you pretty much all the way!

I hate that NASCAR cars are boring front wheel drive cars (except for the Charger) that are by no means race cars. But, the COT I think is a step in the right direction. They put more of the driver skill on display and the better drivers will show their skills with them.
I also hate the top 35 rule. I think Michael Waltrip fans outnumber Regan Smith fans and can back me up on this one. The lucky dog rule needs to go too. I understand the safety aspect of it, but giving someone a free lap when they didn't earn it is bogus in my opinion. Maybe it just needs a tweek or two.

Marker
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Qualifying should not be about popularity (it's not American Idol) and it shouldn't be about sponsor money (but it is). It should be about the fastest 43 cars that show up to qualify. The cars who are guaranteed a spot, can set their car up to race trim, giving them more opportunity to tune the car. They can also push the limit more because if they happen to push it too far and crash, they're still in the race. If you have to qualify on time, you have to be a bit more cautious. So qualifying as it is today is not really a level playing field.

Sometimes it works out. This last weekend at Martinsville, the 43 fastest made the race. But perhaps, just perhaps, without the guaranteed spot, one of those drivers would have been just a tincy bit more cautious, costing them .1 of a second, making them NOT MAKE the race. The time difference from 1 to 43 is so small that even the slightest change in how you drive, can make a huge difference.

WDWfanatic742
04-04-2007, 02:04 AM
I agree with you both ways. Robby Gordon has been like that since he start running the road courses during the cup season and then started running full time. I like the COT and they should have had it at better races than Bristol or Martinsville when the object of those two race tracks are just surviving to the finish, rather than actual racing. The lucky dog rule shouldn't be used unless that car is just a few seconds (depending on the race track) away from the leader.

indytraveler
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Qualifying should not be about popularity (it's not American Idol) and it shouldn't be about sponsor money (but it is). It should be about the fastest 43 cars that show up to qualify.

Each week qualify!!!

Those who can't drive the COT stop complaining and learn. Obviously drivers are winning and making it around the track better than you are so admit it and stop whinning.

Let's have some good 'ol fashion feuds.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-12-2007, 10:25 AM
my biggest issue this season......
what is kasey kahne DOING? I love him to death, but he has spun or completely wrecked in every race since daytona... he had his career best finish at daytona and his worst finish at every track since. Let's hope some birthday luck holds over and helps him finish well at Texas, since he is the defending race winner!

JanetMegan
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm with you, he running my Fantasy Leagues into the GROUND! I'm hoping it's a beginning of the season slump or he'll find himself out of the top 35 fast!

A couple other notes, they sure better figure out why the COT foam is melting before the next race. Harvick was sure peeved!

Also, I bet MW was drunk as a skunk when he wrecked his car...

Jeff
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I also would like to see everyone qualify on speed alone. No automatics.

Also, I do not like how laped cars start on the inside on restarts. They just get in the way of the lead cars from 3 on back. This lets the 2 or 3 leaders get too far out front.

Melanie
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Also, I bet MW was drunk as a skunk when he wrecked his car...

I'm with you there, Janet. I have no doubt!

handmaidenofprincesses
04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
They've (supposedly) fixed the foam problem....

Article 1, right after Harvick's COT filled with smoke.
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/04/01/kharvick.martinsville.cot.burns/index.html

Article 2, NASCAR's Solution
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/04/04/kharvick.gbiffle.foam/index.html

Stich8818
04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
1. COT - I agree with the previous posts about needing the safer car for the drivers, But Bristol?..Martinsville?...This weekend at Phoenix will be the true test.

2. Michael Waltrip-- He needs to make the choice if he is going to be an owner or a driver you cannot do both. I have two words for Mikey..Boris Said..This man would be the perfect driver for Napa Toyota..

3. Everham Motorsports -- Not just one car here but all cars involved. He has got a great stable but there is just no results. I work with a gentlemen who is the brother to Kasey's Car cheif..He has been telling me that Ray E. Has been too busy paying attention to Erin Crocker(Truck Seris Driver and Ray's girlfriend) Again another one of those issues concentrate on your team and get them back to running good.

4. Qualifying --- Fastest 43 cars that come to the track..Make the show..

Sorry So long

Marker
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
1) COT - I think Bristol & Martinsville made since. Work your way up in speed, and aero importance. You certainly wouldn't want to debut it on Talladega. To me it's a logical progression.

2) Michael - Tough year, definitely spread thin. However, it's not just his team, all the Toyota teams are struggling. Some of the other established teams are struggling too. A smart manager oversees, putting the right people in place and letting them do their job. Yeah, it's been a tough start, but he's starting a team at an unprecedented size (for a startup team). 3 cup teams, and in a year where they have 2 different cars to prepare, not to mention the Busch team. ANYONE would have growing pains to deal with. Something tells me that when it finally comes together, it's going to be a strong team As for getting someone else to drive, it might be easier for him work load wise, but he's a race driver. Can't fault the man for wanting to drive.

3) Evernham - yeah I heard the Erin Crocker rumors last year, but they struck me a just that rumor, celebrity gossip.

4) Qualifying - I'd definitely like to see the 43 fastest race. (looks like Michael would be in this week if that were the case) Accepting the fact that we're not likely to see that anytime soon, I think 35 guaranteed spots is too many.

Marker
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Speaking of Michael Waltrip -

For what it's worth, there are only 3 Toyotas in the race this weekend, 2 are from Michael's team.

He qualified 37th overall, ahead of Sterling Marlin, Robbie Gordon, Ricky Rudd, Kyle Petty, David Stremme, Johnny Sauter, and Dale Jarrett.... all of whom will be racing just for showing up. He was also faster than John Andretti, Brian Vickers, AJ Almendinger, Mike Bliss and Brandon Ash.

So, even though he's not getting to race, overall, I'd say that's improvement. Of the 7 cars going home, 4 are Toyota (5 would be without the champion's provisional). The Toyota teams have a definite disadvantage not being able to automatically make races like 35 of their friends.