PDA

View Full Version : Fibbers

DVC2004
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Do you know anyone who constantly fibs? DH and I were talking about this. A good friend of mine's husband hasbeen this way since I've known him. According to him, he's dated supermodels and been offered million-dollar stock trading jobs (none of which he took). Without divulging too many details, this can't possibly be true! My DH brough this up yesterday because he also knows someone like this, a coworker. Last week the guy was on vacation and told DH he went to Hawaii. He told everyone else he went to Wisconsin Dells! He came back yesterday and told DH Hawaii is great and he bought a timeshare. He told the other guys he had a great time in the Dells. Do you know anyone like this? I just don't get it.:confused:

CrazyStitch
04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I used to work with a guy like that. According to him, he had extensive martial arts training, and he and his sensei were fighting a large gang (by themselves), when they both got shot. He was protected by the sword he wore on his back, but his sensei was killed. So now he was hunting down the killer.

Another time he said he was mountain climbing with his girlfriend, when her harness broke and she fell to her death. Upon looking at the harness, he saw that it had been cut. So, again, he was hunting down the killer.

And then another time he said he was a bounty hunter out in Montana or Colorado, chasing criminals through the mountains in some supercharged four-cylander car.

And he passed this all off as fact to anyone who would listen. And working next to him making sandwiches at a local restaurant, I had little choice but to listen :)

Ian
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Yikes! CrazyStitch, that dude sounds more mentally ill than a fibber! Paranoid delusions anyone??

We used to work with a woman when I was at Prudential years ago ... she was like that. She was always making up stories.

She, too, was a black belt in karate (nevermind that she was about 40 pounds overweight and CLEARLY out of shape) and routinely used to break boards with her bare hands and walk across hot coals.

She was dating this guy who drove a Corvette and had all this money (no one ever saw him and her parents hated him so she could never bring him around). Supposedly they were getting married, but when the time came she claimed she found out he was cheating on her so she dumped him.

She had a picture on her desk of this wizened old man she claimed was Sam Elliott (the actor). Nevermind that he looked nothing like Sam Elliott ... she insisted she knew him (he was a friend of the family) and that was his picture.

Finally this girl we worked with brought in a picture of the real Sam Elliott and put them together. When confronted with the obvious truth she responded, "You guys didn't think I meant the REAL Sam Elliott did you?? Of course not! We only CALL him Sam Elliott because he LOOKS like Sam Elliott!"

What a nut job ....

DVC2004
04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
You guys made me remember one other I knew when I worked in retail as a teen. This guy was barely 18 and said he'd been a Top Gun Pilot among other things. When he got canned from the job in retail (he was seasonal), he made a formal announcement to all of us coworkers that he didn't need the job anyway because he'd just inherited millions from a long lost aunt.

That is funny about that Sam Elliott thing. My friend's husband said he'd dated specifically Paulina Porizkova (he couldn't possibly since the time he claimed to have dated her she was married to the lead singer of The Cars). When my friend confronted him later he said he never said he dated her, but I was right there on several occassions when he said he did. Yikes!

magicman
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I once was dating this girl, Paulina Porizkova, and she would make up stories. She claimed she knew Walt Disney, but since I knew Walt from when I worked with him in the CIA, I knew she could not. I brought up the issue with my karate classmate, Chuck Norris, and he said that she probably had emotional problems, so sadly I had to break up with her. My new girlfriend, Charlize Theron, and I laugh about it now.

DVC2004
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I once was dating this girl, Paulina Porizkova, and she would make up stories. She claimed she knew Walt Disney, but since I knew Walt from when I worked with him in the CIA, I knew she could not. I brought up the issue with my karate classmate, Chuck Norris, and he said that she probably had emotional problems, so sadly I had to break up with her. My new girlfriend, Charlize Theron, and I laugh about it now.

:funny: :silly:

Here we go again...
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
We have a friend just like this. There was never a word that came out of his mouth that we believed. He was the lead singer of a rock band... He was in a gang... He had a model girlfriend that had a baby for him.... the baby died from drinking drano...
It was like he always felt the need to tell bigger and better lies. The one about the baby dying really upset a lot of people. He even went into "hiding" while he was supposed to be away at the funeral. The problem was that one of your friends ran into his father and expressed his condolences but the "grandfather" knew nothing about it. Imagine how hard it was to crawl out of that lie to his dad.

The bad thing is that this compulsive liar is a really nice guy. We still see him from time to time but it is impossible to be good friends with him. He called to tell us he was in the hospital because he had a heart attack. No one bothered to go see him because we all thought it was a lie. It turned out to be true... good thing he is okay and shame on us for not believing him. But where do you draw the line?

magicman
04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I have known several chronic fibbers; however, it seems like there is a selected few of these who "go over the edge". Remember the guy on nationwide news over the last couple of years who killed his wife because she apparently figured out that he was living the lie that "he'd been accepted to Medical School & they were moving". Whatever this tendency is, the ones who go over the edge are terrifying.

Here we go again...
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I have known several chronic fibbers; however, it seems like there is a selected few of these who "go over the edge". Remember the guy on nationwide news over the last couple of years who killed his wife because she apparently figured out that he was living the lie that "he'd been accepted to Medical School & they were moving". Whatever this tendency is, the ones who go over the edge are terrifying.

Wow, I forgot about that one. I guess it just shows how much these people have to do to keep the lie alive. :(

Ian
04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
My friend's husband said he'd dated specifically Paulina Porizkova (he couldn't possibly since the time he claimed to have dated her she was married to the lead singer of The Cars) ... Ric Ocasik ... I met him and Paulina once at a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

And that's no fib!

mrsgaribaldi
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Ric Ocasik ... I met him and Paulina once at a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

And that's no fib!

Here's the fib part, Ric was pumping gas and Paulina was behind the counter. They were real nice people. Ric would even hum The Cars tunes as he pumped the gas. We still keep in touch :secret: ;)

princessjojo
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
We have a guy like this who lives in my town. He is hung up on everything Elvis, “attempts” to dress like him, hair like his, everything. I don’t know him personally, but he is someone that everyone in our town is aware of. Anyway, I was in a convience store and ran into him. He was talking to another guy about his car, a 1979 Trans-Am. He went on and on first about how fast is would go, and that his girlfriend just got a ticket for driving 190mph :drive: the evening before and he had to get her out of jail:. I don’t know much more about cars other than they need gas, oil, and antifreeze, but I do know enough that his car sounded like it was doing good to get out of the driveway. My husband just laughed because he knows the car and 190mph is a far stretch for it. Evidently he was having an identity crisis between being Elvis or “The Bandit” :car:

During the same conversation in the store, he was telling the guy that he was an Elvis impersonator :elvis: and his 2 back up singers usually made about $1000/hr and he only made about $200/hr. He had to pay his agent. WHAT!!! I just laughed and walked away. I have heard him say once before that when some 20something guys were laughing at him that he bet they didn’t make $100/hr. I would have accepted the fact that it could be true, but when I saw him in the store, he mentioned that he was on his way to an event and was late then. I didn’t believe him since his tassels looked like something he pulled off my grandmother’s bedspread. I know that sounds mean, but there was nothing professional about his attire. I would have definitely been ripped off if I had paid $3200/hr for him (both back up singers & him).

Sorry, I don’t believe you “Elvis,” but if it makes you feel better, then whatever :shrug:

sleepingbooty
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I've know a few people like this. One was my boss about 10 years ago, when I was a cocktail waitress and going to college. She was so smooth and practiced at it that the lies flowed flawlessly, but we all knew she was full of it. I mean, if she really was an attorney, and an accountant - then why was she currently working as a manager at a hotel nightclub? I wish I could remember all the whoppers she told, we got the biggest kick out of it when she wasn't around.

The most recent one I've known is this young guy (early to mid twenties) who takes a class at the same ceramics studio as me. He's supposedly an injured veteran and currently a aviation engineering major (at the community college?) Recently he drove himself up to Chicago for experimental brain surgery. He likes to rebuild motorcycles and fly helicopters for fun, oh, and plus he spent time in jail in South America. Any subject that comes up for discussion, he's got some implausible tale to steal the show. What's really annoying is that I'm the only one who seems to realize he's a compulsive liar (unless the others have just kept quiet about their opinion of him). What's with people like this?:confused:

ElenitaB
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I worked for a woman who used to make up the most unbelievable stories and that was fine because we all knew that she had a problem with stretching the truth. What used to really upset us was the fibs that she would tell her young son... like he was getting a computer the next week, like they were going to Disney, etc. We all knew that none of this was true but it really mad us angry to see how he would believe her and we'd know that when the moment of truth came around, he'd be crushed once again!

Damon18
04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
It is sad how many of these people are around. I too worked with a guy who made up pretty much everything. In fact pretty much everything we ever heard from him turned out to be a lie.

Lets see it started with his house. He claimed to live a ways out of town on a small farm where he raised horses. He supposedly had 40 or so. Anytime someone would suggest getting together to see it he had an excuse why he couldn't.

Then his marrige, this was a good one. He took over a month off from work for this one. After his wedding (which was just for family so none of us were invited) he went on a month long honeymoon. That consisted of flying to London for a few days then onto Paris. From there he and his wife flew on the Concorde to Austrailia for a couple of weeks. All this was paid for by an inheritance his father had left him when he died. Upon his return he said thay didn't take any pictures and customs did not let him through with any souviniers:confused:

Then tha last big one which finally blew it for him was that his wife was pregnant with twins. I should also mention that no one ever met or saw his wife over the 2 or 3 years since his wedding. Well the big day came and he showed up to work that afternoon with cigars for everyone to celebrate. Our HR person thought it would be nice to send a card and flowers to the hospital for his wife. When they asked him what hospital she was at he said that she and the babies had been sent home already! Mere hours after the birth.

Well they obviously got wise to him then and confronted him on it. It turned out that nothing he had ever told us was true. He was single and still lived at home with his parents.

Ian
04-03-2007, 06:45 PM
... Ric was pumping gas and Paulina was behind the counter. They were real nice people. Ric would even hum The Cars tunes as he pumped the gas. We still keep in touch :secret: ;) How did you know???

disneygoofball
04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I knew a girl like that when I was in junior high. She said that she'd been in a bad car crash. The car she was in crashed into a gas station and a number of the tanks exploded. She had no burns on her body, but she said she had 125 stitches. When we asked to see the stitches ('cause that's cool, especially in jr. high ), she said she couldn't show them to us because they were in a place she couldn't show in public. Well, needless to say, the whole story was a complete fabrication.

I've thought about her a number of times as I've grown up and it always made me sad. If she had that problem already in junior high, I wonder what her life is like now. :(

TinyDancer
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh man, haha, this is great. I've known two fibbers of amazing talent. One I dated, lets not go into that... Lets just say that if I found out the people I saw at his house turned out to be actors he paid to pretend to be his family, I would not even bat my eyes in surprise, lol. That's how bad/good he was! :D The OTHER, lol, the other was a real piece of work. I'll narrow it down to a few examples. Ok, this girl had the same skin disease that Michael Jackson has (you know, the one that made his skin turn white?), except it is making her turn black. She told us that she had her kidneys removed when she was a baby (we saw her practically naked on many occasions at band camp and whatnot, there were no scars). When we confronted her about this she said that the doctors went "up" to get them. I told her that no one believed the doctors removed them via her you-know-what, but she insisted they did. She got annoyed that a few girls in band had severe asthma and were having problems so she decided she needed attention and "fainted." I kid you not, she flung her hand up to her forehead and fell backwards with a loud sigh. When they "woke her up", she said her legs didn't work and we needed to carry her to a chair. (I was hysterical, lol.) After this fainting episode, a friends dad took her (and the friend) to the ER to have her checked out. Upon return, said fibber announced that she had a major heart condicion, had to spend one month doing NOTHING (which she claimed she didn't feel like doing), and I think she went so far as to say she could die at any moment. The friend then pulled us aside to say that she had been in the room with her when the doctor told her and the doctor had said that she had such a slight heart murmer that it barely counted and that she was perfectly fine. There were other things, but those were the big ones, haha. Even the girls in colorguard who never met her know her name and the stories, and it remains to be the biggest insult we can give each other to call someone by that girl's name!

I love fibbers and I try to call them on their lies as often as possible!

alphamommy
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I had an aunt who was like this. Whenever anyone got sick, she "caught" what they had, only had it much worse. The sad thing was that, when she really did get sick and went in the hospital for what turned out to be the last time, no one knew whether or not to believe her. You know what they say about crying wolf...

I also worked with a guy who took time off because his wife passed away, and was gone one day a week to visit a vendor. He didn't show up for a few days, so someone called his house. A woman answered - his wife! Apparently he was having an affair, and using work time to do it! He was let go immediately.

Tammy

crazypoohbear
04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
WOW you people have all met some of my relatives.:)
My ex bro in law was a decorated POW who was on covert missions in Laos and Cambodia.
Several family members have had convienent "cancer".
They have out run the police, hidden from mobsters and gansters, Have been mobsters and gansters. Killed people, almost killed people, will kill people. I think maybe one or two have been killed but came back to life:blush:
My personal fav. are the people who constantly rewrite history, or take your memories and make them into their own life. It happened to them, not you.

One person has to "out sick" anyone. Whatever you have or have had they had it worse, longer, etc.

Dakota Rose
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I had a couple students like that when I taught at the career college in California. But the two that irk me the most are my MIL and SIL. They don't lie about famous people or extraordinary things. They fib about little stupid things that I know aren't true. Or they swear they'll never do something and then go and do it. And according to them, everything in their lives is jsut perfect. Nothing ever goes wrong, lifeis peachy. Like anyone believes that.

Most recently, my MIL fibbed about her upcoming trip to WDW. She told me in January that my SIL & BIL had invited her and is taking her on their trip to WDW. Then I found out from my FIL that my MIL is actually paying for the trip and that she always dreamed of taking her grandkids there. Oh and the trip has been planned since before Thanksgiving. Um, hello, why lie about such a thing? And secondly, isn't my son her grandkid too? A-ha, the reason for the lie.

mrsgaribaldi
04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I worked for a woman who used to make up the most unbelievable stories and that was fine because we all knew that she had a problem with stretching the truth. What used to really upset us was the fibs that she would tell her young son... like he was getting a computer the next week, like they were going to Disney, etc. We all knew that none of this was true but it really mad us angry to see how he would believe her and we'd know that when the moment of truth came around, he'd be crushed once again!

That is really terrible. What was she thinking doing that to him?:( :confused: So sad. I can just picture his disappointment:(

marlyn
04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
My ex husband used to embellish his stories...kind of stretch the truth to make himself look better. Used to drive me insane. Now it can drive his new wife insane! ;)

I remember sitting there as he told someone that his family raised Race horses and were well known around the horsetrack. Ummm, they had a 4 horses and rode them around where they lived. They certainly were not race horses and his family is not well known by anyone other than the 200 or so that are from where he grew up.

That is one example of many. It always seemed to me that he was trying to be someone else because he wasn't happy with himself.

I don't care what you do, where you are from, what your family is like. As long as you are happy with yourself...you will impress others. No need to embellish stories to make yourself be what you perceive others want you to be. (if that makes sense)