PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Reviews

jennifer99
04-03-2007, 08:03 AM
We are working on figuring out our ADR's for September. It is already past the 180 day point so we are trying to hurry up and decide. One of the restaurants we are stuck on is Coral Reef. The menu and pictures make it seem like something we would enjoy but I could not find any current reviews on it. Please let us know what you think of it. Thanks :mickey:

pox24
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
We enjoyed the atmosphere with the tank a fish, but the food value was not what we thought. I don't mind paying for a good meal, however there was no value here. We won't go back. Sorry.

mrp4352
04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
The last two times we've gone the food has been good (not great, but good). However, the service has been horrible. When we went on the Candlelight Processional package, we had a 2pm ressie and almost didn't make it to the 1st showing of the processional. In February, the waiter told me I couldn't have ordered 1,000 island dressing because he had written down house dressing. :confused:

Sorry, but I think I'd take a pass on this one.

May I recommend the Rose and Crown (if you need to stay in Epcot), or Kona's at the Poly instead?

Jeri Lynn
04-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I went in September. My sister and I were on the dining plan. Our meal was very good and our service was fine. I really had no complaints about it, we sat near the fish tank but were a table away, but could still see the fish swimming around.

Jeri Lynn
04-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Oops...I also forgot to mention, for the two of us our meal including tip came to almost $130, all paid for by the dining plan, except for the extra we gave the waitress.

TBY2225
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
We went last September. While the food was good not great, the service was horrible! It took 2 1/2 hours for the meal so we missed illuminations on our only night in Epcot! We were assured that they would get us out in time but our waiter disappeared and we couldn't get refills. Then he accused us of cheating the system because my DD4 didn't order a meal. She was tired and didn't want to eat. The atmosphere is ok, but not worth the money or the hassle. I would have been very upset had we not been on the dining plan! I highly recommend Kona Cafe or Rose and Crown instead!

tinkerbelle75
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
We probably won't be back unless they make significant changes to the menu.The atmosphere is beautiful,but the food,waiting area,and service leave a lot to be desired.This is our least favorite restaurant at WDW.

the real Alice
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I was there 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. We were on the dining plan so it was a great value. We had no problems what so ever with service. We did go rather early (5:30) so that might help if there are service problems we never saw it though. We all had fish and it was delicious and the servings were a nice size. The chocolate wave is to die for - it alone is worth the trip. :thumbsup:

Natazu
04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Throughout the history of the Coral Reef, it has always had mixed reviews. I've personally never had a bad meal there. I do miss the surf-n-turf but I'm happy with the current selections. The restaurant is a little noisy now that the DDP cost is 1TS (it used to be 2) but I'll live with it to save the credit.

What I think:
When someplace has some positive and some negative reviews, the logical thing to do is try it out for yourself.

ginger19
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
My food was inedible, DH's was good. The service was extraordinarily slow and we literally tripped over people trying to get in and out of there. I will not be going back. My kids did enjoy watching the tank but lost interest after the first 1.5 hours.

DisneyTeen
04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Not my favorite. I wasn't a fan, not a good menu, not good service (like someone said, we were there for like 2 + hours) the food wasn't that good. Personally, the only plus was sitting near the fish tank, but I would rather walk around the living seas looking at the tanks and eat somewhere else.

BellewanaB
04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Is it just me or is it like going to a farm and sitting by the cows as you munch on your burger?

Either that or I feel like Danny Tanner is still trying to propose some where and Jessie and Joey will pop up any moment swimming in the tank.

Crow
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
i only ate there once in the 80s. made an ADR for May but im second guessing myself and may change it.

Raye3201
04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
We ate at the Coral Reef in January - I would recommend skipping it and going elsewhere. Watch the fish in the living seas and dine somewhere else - where you'll get better service and food.:mickey:

wdw_bound
04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
We're in the minority here - we had a very good experience last September. I was dubious as well, but decided to risk it.

We did have to wait a while to get seated, but we also got there about 20 minutes early hoping to get lucky, so that made the wait seem longer.

DH said the steak was the best he had that whole trip. The crab claws appetizer was GREAT. I ordered the seafood souffle and wasn't a huge fan, but more because I was expecting a crabcake consistency/flavor and got something different. I really liked my salmon entree.

Service was pretty good. For the most part our waiter was very attentive, but there was a period when it seemed as though all his other tables were settling the bill at the same time and we had to wait for refills for a few minutes.

We're not going back on this next trip, but only because we are taking the in-laws and don't think it would appeal to them. We'll definitely return on future trips.

MsMin
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
We went in Dec. 05 and loved it so much it was a must do when we returned in Dec.06. We have had great service and good food and great atmosphere. I've never had slow meal and our waiters have been pleasant. Maybe it was the glowtini but we had fun.
It would be ashame to miss a great time but also ashame if your visit was a flop:(
I would give it a shot!!

Seasonscraps
04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
We were there in December -- after our extraordinary wait (45 minutes or so after our ADR) I was pleasantly surprised by the meal and service. The food was really good and we received very good service - the CM was attentive but not overbearing. It was a little loud -- I imagine the tank throws the acoustics off or something.

tinktude
04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
We ate there last November, and the service was terrible. We had ressies, still had to wait a long time for our table, and then waitress took forever to even come over to our table.

Our waittress only had like 4 tables to service, and she would dissappear for long periods of time and not once did my drink glass get refilled.

In my opinion for the price of the meal the portions were not very big, and the choices were slim. My steak was underdone (I am not a fan of bloody meat) and my DH steak was overdone (burnt around the edges) tough to chew.

This is the only restaurant that I will not visit again.

EvilQueen2006
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I ate there in January. I thought the service was good, the food was excellent, and the atmosphere was amazing. I had the vegetable strudel, lobster bisque and chocolate wave. all were to die for. My meal at Marrakesh was even better, so if I had to choose one restaurant in Epcot, that would get my vote.

Through the looking Glass
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't waste a dinner on it. If you really wanna eat there try lunch. I feel this is one of the Resturants that DDP has killed:mad: . Five years ago the food was good, service was good. Now the menu has changed to the 'cheaper entrees', no matter what I'm getting my 18%. If you do go, the Lobster bisque:thumbsup: is excellent, its a shame you can't get it for take out.

AlvyOT08
04-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I ate their in may in the afternoon for lunch. the service was excellent. The cm was wonderful and was always checking up on us. However, the food was terrible. I had ordered the catfish which was good, but way way to spicy and I had some mashed potato thing that tasted like yuck. For the price of the meal, I wouldn't go back again. It just wasn't worth it. However, I'm glad I at elast do have the experience of eating there. It's really neat to watch the fish swin around in the tank. If you must go, I would go for lunch, it's cheaper, especially since my bf and I wern't on the DDP. Hope this helps.