PDA

View Full Version : Fielin's 30th birthday trip 20-28th of March, day 5

fielin
04-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Fifth day in WDW !

In the morning, I carried the lugage to bell service to have them transfered to Port Orleans French Quarter, our next port of call.

Then, off to MGM studios we went !

This is another park we have in France. The name here is Disney Studios. Now, if MK was globally the same as Disneyland Paris, MGM looks and feels completely different from Disney Studios. :confused:

First of all, In France, the park looks like a real studio. Lands are called 'lots', and all attractions are enclosed in what is designed to look like big warehouses (also they are currently redesigning the park, which is a VERY good idea).

In comparison, MGM looks beautiful !

The rides are different too, as are the shows. I much prefer MGM to our Sudios (but this is going to change as, before january 2008, we will have three new rides : The Tower of Terror, Crush Roller Coaster (brand new for France !) and Cars Rally (brand new for France too !) :party:

At 3, we left the park and went to check in at POFQ. As soon as we arrived, I immediately knew that I had found my home away from home.

I loved the colors, I loved the buildings, I loved the music, and I loved the perfume of the flowers. :cloud9:

I felt something I had felt neither at AKL neither at POP. We just took the time to discover our beautiful room, and then, I insisted to take a leisurely walk to Riverside.

This was a second shock. I loved Riverside too ! Next time, I will have to decide which of the two I choose, this will be sooooo hard ! Can't wait !

We took the bus at Riverside to come back to MGM, where we had an ADR at Mama Melrose for Fantasmic.

Mama Melrose was not great but our waitress was fantastic (err, ....mic ? I suppose).

What we did :

Great Movie Ride : I thought this would be the same as our Cinemagic, but not at all ! Cinemagic is a live show where a collection of great movies are shown, while a guy (live comedian in the audience)answers his cell phone, coming in front of the screen, and is virtually swallowed by the movie. This is great fun.

I loved the live part of the great movie ride. Cast members were great. Other than that, this needs a rehab.

Honey, I shrunk the audience movie set adventure : Okay, this is supposed to be for children..; But I thought this was a great photolocation ! :D I think children must really enjoy this one !

Muppets Vision 3D : This is a lot of fun, but I thought this was the least interesting 4D movie I saw. It doen't compare well with It's Tough to be a Bug, let alone Philarmagic !

Rock'n Roller Coaster : The lines were very long here until after the first Fantasmic of the day. The coaster is similar to the one we have in France, but the theming is completely different. I liked the MGM version better ! :)

Sounds Dangerous : I had read that this one wasn't worth the time, but hey, there was no line, it was hot, and... Oh, nevermind... You were right, this was not worth the time I spent in the air conditioned room.

Star Tour : This was exactly the same as in France, except for the exterior appearance of the ride... and the fact that here, it is not in Disney Studios, but in Tomorrowland, at Disneyland Paris. I have always loved this ride, but I know feel the technology is getting dated.

Studios Backlot Tour : In france, this is the Tram Tour - we don't have the pre-show, and get directly on the train. Well, I loved the preshow, while the ride was as boring as it is in France ! :)

Twighlight Zone Tower of Terror : GREAT ! I loved this ride so much that we had to do it five time in the day ! I love every aspect of it, the falls are smooth, the theming is great, I just can't wait for it to open in Disneyland Paris (january 08 !!!!) This is the absolute must do on property, for us. :number1:

Fantasmic !: Extraordinary show. We had virtually no waiting in line thanks to Mama Melrose, and I think there is no bad seats in the theater. As every night show on property (IllumiNations, Wishes...) you just have to see this.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid : This was an okay show. But of course, after seeing Nemo the Musical in AK, every other live show seemed just okay to me. You can't beat Nemo.

This was a great day, and we really enjoyed coming back to our beautiful resort, eating at the food court (for the first time since we arrived !) and enjoying the pool and our quiet rooms that evening. :cloud9:

pogo
04-03-2007, 07:20 AM
At 3, we left the park and went to check in at POFQ. As soon as we arrived, I immediately knew that I had found my home away from home.

I loved the colors, I loved the buildings, I loved the music, and I loved the perfume of the flowers.

I felt something I had felt neither at AKL neither at POP. We just took the time to discover our beautiful room, and then, I insisted to take a leisurely walk to Riverside. This is exactly how we felt last year when we toured the same three resorts. We loved POFQ so much that we booked our stay here for this year. We arrive in another 15 days.:cloud9:

This day sounded like you were having a very good time. Thanks for sharing. :D

faline
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Personally, on the tram ride, I could easily skip the pre-show and go right for the tram! Just proves that Disney has something to offer to each of us!

I have fond memories of our stay at Port Orleans Riverside! Glad you're liking your resort!

sleepingbooty
04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree, Port Orleans has a special feel. We are trying a couple new resorts this summer and fall, so I hope I don't miss POFQ too much. Sounds like MGM compared favorable for you - glad you enjoyed it!

ChipnDaleGal
04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
It is always so interesting to see how the various resorts "speak" to us all differently. I am glad that the POFQ felt like home to you. I stayed at Riverside once, and while I did enjoy it, the Caribbean Beach Resort is the one that feels like my "home". Good thing Disney offers such a variety of resorts. Looks had a great day at MGM. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

Bethis26fan
04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day.

ElenitaB
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Another fun day! Thanks for giving us the ride-by-ride comparison to Disneyland Paris. I don't know if I'll ever make it there, but at least I know what's offered.

We love POFQ as well, and don't think we'd ever stay at another moderate resort. I love the little courtyards and the walkways... and the pool is fun as well!

BelleCiavo
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
You're right, TOT is wonderful! Looks like you a great day, thanks for sharing it.
Karen

pdrlkr
04-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: