Attractions:

Alice in Wonderland
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
StoryBook Land Canal
Casey Jones Train

? Is it a capacity issue?

darthmacho
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Are those Disneyland rides? If so, I imagine they'd like to keep some of the rides exclusive to that park to give some added incentive to visit there. Just a guess.

Grizz16
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Attractions:

Alice in Wonderland
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
StoryBook Land Canal
Casey Jones Train

? Is it a capacity issue?

I'm not sure. I've read that although DL is smaller than MK, it has more attractions. I'd like for them to add some of those rides.

Carol
04-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Because it's Disney World - not Disneyland. :thumbsup:

AliceinDisney
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah but they should hook it up with some of the rides from Disneyland. I mean lets get serious, some people never get a chance to go all the way to California just to go to Disneyland. I think they should allow us to see those attractions in the Florida park.

marlyn
04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah but they should hook it up with some of the rides from Disneyland. I mean lets get serious, some people never get a chance to go all the way to California just to go to Disneyland. I think they should allow us to see those attractions in the Florida park.

Well...many people on West Coast will never get to East to go to WDW. Does that mean they should get all the rides from MK at DL? Like Winnie the Pooh or Philharmagic?

DL and MK are different parks...not the same.

AliceinDisney
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Sigh* I know, I guess Im just disappointed. I think all the Disney parks should have the same stuff for people everywhere to enjoy :mickey:

Melanie
04-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I think all the Disney parks should have the same stuff for people everywhere to enjoy :mickey:

Oh no, not me. That's what makes each park unique. :mickey3:

2Epcot
04-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Well...many people on West Coast will never get to East to go to WDW. Does that mean they should get all the rides from MK at DL? Like Winnie the Pooh or Philharmagic?

I would settle for just Mickey's Philharmagic, I'm tired of Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

kakn7294
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Different attractions give me an incentive to someday visit Disneyland. If it were all the same, why bother going to DL? WDW is much closer to Pittsburgh.

Dsnygirl
04-03-2007, 02:55 AM
:mickey: Wow - I'm feeling totally ridiculous - I had no idea that there were completely different rides at DL! And I've been there!! (Okay - it was for a very brief day back in 1986... I guess 21 years ago is a good excuse for not remembering...:blush: ) Now I've got a great reason try for a DL day next time we get out to CA! ;) shhhh... don't tell my DH.....:secret: :D

Carol
04-03-2007, 09:32 AM
No way should the parks be the same.

Wow - I'm feeling totally ridiculous - I had no idea that there were completely different rides at DL! And I've been there!! There is absolutely no comparison. The rides at Disneyland are hands down better. Even the attractions that have the same titles are different. The only thing Disney World has that would be nice at Disneyland is PhilharMagic.

I went to Disneyland for the first time in November and have already booked another trip for this year. Definitely worth the longer plane ride. :cool:

lyle21
04-03-2007, 09:44 AM
aliceindisney, i feel your pain. i will never make it to disneyland. so yes, i would like to have certain disneyland attractions at WDW. just call me crazy.

Scar
04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
The only thing Disney World has that would be nice at Disneyland is PhilharMagic.Unless you meant to say "Magic Kingdom", I disagree. Although DL is better than MK, I'll take the whole "World" over DL Resort anyday.

darthmacho
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
There is absolutely no comparison. The rides at Disneyland are hands down better. :cool:

I wonder why that is? Do you think that Disneyland, being smaller and with less to offer with it's two small parks and way fewer resorts, feels that it has to have something better to draw people? So perhaps they work harder on the rides?

JPL
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
There are several reason for the differences this first and probably the most imporant was budget. When Disneyland was built and designed Walt was calling the shots and not overly concerned with money and budgets. On the other hand when they were building WDW, Roy was calling all the shots and hence WDW got some watered down versions of attractions to save some money. The other main reason was the use of the Omnimover ride system Imagineering had learned how efficient this system was at moving guests so they chose to omit some of the slower loading attractions. Some of these attractions were added after the original inception of Fantasyland. Alice in Wonderland opened in 1958 so was part of the expansion. Pinocchio opened during the rennovation of Fantasyland in 1982. The only oringinal fantasyland attractions from Disneyland that were not built were Casey Jr and the Canal boats.

Carol
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Unless you meant to say "Magic Kingdom", I disagree. Although DL is better than MK, I'll take the whole "World" over DL Resort anyday.Yes. We are talking about Fantasyland.

Ian
04-03-2007, 10:23 AM

There is absolutely no comparison. The rides at Disneyland are hands down better. Even the attractions that have the same titles are different. The only thing Disney World has that would be nice at Disneyland is PhilharMagic.

... Definitely worth the longer plane ride. :cool::ditto:

Marker
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Sigh* I know, I guess Im just disappointed. I think all the Disney parks should have the same stuff for people everywhere to enjoy

Personally, I hope they never feel they have to be "fair" and make all the parks identical. They each have their own personality, and I think that's how it should be.

I think "better" is a really subjective term. To me, DL has things that are better, AND WDW (MK) has things that are better. I would not dare to say that DL was better than MK. I appreciate the differences.

If you can travel to one coast, then why not travel to the other coast sometime, it may be worth it.

Scar
04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes. We are talking about Fantasyland.Ahh...Then in that case I will even go futher and say that everything in DL's Fantasyland is better, as I cannot enjoy Philharmagic. :thumbsup:

Ian
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I think "better" is a really subjective term. To me, DL has things that are better, AND WDW (MK) has things that are better. I would not dare to say that DL was better than MK. I appreciate the differences.You're right that it's subjective, because I totally disagree.

I think, without exception, Disneyland blows the Magic Kingdom away in all facets. Theming, variety of attractions, number of attractions, cleanliness, quality of cast ...

If you look at the resorts as a whole then yes ... Walt Disney World probably has Disneyland just due to its sheer size.

But I'll tell you something ... if they'd move Epcot to Disneyland I'd never set foot in Walt Disney World again.

mcjaco
04-03-2007, 01:12 PM

There is absolutely no comparison. The rides at Disneyland are hands down better. Even the attractions that have the same titles are different.

So you prefer the Snow White ride that's missing a key scene, and just....ends???

I like the feel of the DL Fantasyland, but it's only been changed since 1983. Otherwise, it's about on par with MK. It does, however, still have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride which makes it that much better. :cool:

JPL
04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Actually the Snow White ride was never suppose to show Snow White in the ride. You were suppose to be her. They added her to the ride since most people didn't understand the storyline and asked the question where is Snow White? Why isn't she in her ride? Personally I would love to see both of them restored to their original storylines.

mcjaco
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
^ Actually, the DL version is missing the final scene of Snow White laying in the glass coffin with the Prince. It ends with the Evil Queen getting crushed by thr rocks, and then you go through the final doors emblazened with "And they lived happily ever after."

It was fixed for the MK ride, but there isn't enough room in the DL original to add.

LudwigVonDrake
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
They didn't want to build a clone of Disneyland in Florida :mickey:

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
But I'll tell you something ... if they'd move Epcot to Disneyland I'd never set foot in Walt Disney World again.

Wow Ian ! Pretty strong words , especially since I know you go to WDW several times per year.

While I agree that Disneyland has an edge in sheer number of attractions ,as well as better versions of some of the major rides , and the intimate nature that Walt himself created , still ,there are things at MK that Disneyland doesn't have.

Besides that , how can you dismiss 22 resorts vs. 3 ? Four theme parks vs. 2 ( o.k. , I know you don't like AK or MGM , but I also know you hate California Adventure ) ? Two waterparks vs. none ? A far more expansive Downtown Disney ? Two excellent mini-golf courses vs. none ? A monorail that runs 5 times further ?Five golf courses vs. none ? Not to mention the self contained atmosphere that the Disneyland resort can't even begin to approach ?

:mickey:

Melanie
04-03-2007, 08:12 PM

Wow Ian ! Pretty strong words , especially since I know you go to WDW several times per year.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Ian. Epcot is just to near and dear to me to blow it off for any extended amount of time, so we'll continue our trips to WDW.

And for the record, I like Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort better, and I think California Adventure rocks!

2Epcot
04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I think "better" is a really subjective term. To me, DL has things that are better, AND WDW (MK) has things that are better.

For the most part I agree, there are things about each park I like better then the other, but if I was only allowed to vist one, I'd choose Disneyland over WDW Magic Kingdom. :mickey:

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Ian. Epcot is just to near and dear to me to blow it off for any extended amount of time, so we'll continue our trips to WDW.

And for the record, I like Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort better, and I think California Adventure rocks!

Is it me ,or are the stalwarts of Intercot abandoning ship here ? I guess if Disney had gone ahead with their planned West Coast version of Epcot , to be known as Westcot , several years back ,y'all would be totally entrenched in Intercot West.:ambal:

Anyway , I'm a WDW diehard , so I'll keep on truckin' here.:D

battle beast
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Oh no, not me. That's what makes each park unique.

Exactly!!!!

Right on!

Each park is different; each park has it unique features. If they were both the same, why would youn want to visit the other one? It's because they are different that you want to visit each park!

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Just for the record here ,I hope that Disneyland always has a few more attractions than MK and maintains it's unique status among Disney parks. It was the first ,and it deserves to have some of the best versions ,and in some cases ,only versions of certain attractions . In fact , I would expect the Disney folks to always treat Disneyland as the oldest child ,and give it all the T.L.C. it deserves . :thumbsup:

Carol
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I still go to Walt Disney World every year - but I can say I find Disneyland much more relaxing. And the entertainment throughout the parks rock!

Besides that , how can you dismiss 22 resorts vs. 3 ? Four theme parks vs. 2 ( o.k. , I know you don't like AK or MGM , but I also know you hate California Adventure ) ? Two waterparks vs. none ? A far more expansive Downtown Disney ? Two excellent mini-golf courses vs. none ? A monorail that runs 5 times further ?Five golf courses vs. none ? Not to mention the self contained atmosphere that the Disneyland resort can't even begin to approach ?

:mickey:We don't switch around to various resorts, don't golf or go to the water parks. Self contained?

I never felt like I was in a city when at Disneyland. We stayed on site for 8 days. :scratch:

To each their own. I like both parks - but it's 2 different types of vacations.

Melanie
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Is it me ,or are the stalwarts of Intercot abandoning ship here ?

Why is it abandoning ship? :shrug: Why do we have to choose one over the other? We don't! I love both WDW and Disneyland, and now Tokyo Disney as well. ;) I'm glad I can enjoy them all for what they are. Each has their own plusses and minuses. I don't think they should be compared!

FLKatie912
04-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Just to note, DL does have Winnie the Pooh, it's just not in Fantasyland. It's in Critter Country.:mickey:

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Why is it abandoning ship? :shrug: Why do we have to choose one over the other? We don't! I love both WDW and Disneyland, and now Tokyo Disney as well. ;) I'm glad I can enjoy them all for what they are. Each has their own plusses and minuses. I don't think they should be compared!

Hold on ! Ian said if Epcot were moved to Disneyland resort ,he'd never go to WDW again. Then you agreed with his exact words. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that the only thing bringing you to Florida is Epcot. Am I missing something here ?

Melanie
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
BUT....Epcot is in Florida, and that's a HUGE plus for me and why I'd never 'abandon' WDW.

Now, if they'd bring Epcot to Tokyo Disney, I might never go to any other Disney park. Just kidding! ;)

Have you ever been to Disneyland, Steve? Just curious.

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Self contained?

I never felt like I was in a city when at Disneyland. We stayed on site for 8 days. :scratch

The reason Walt wanted to build in Florida was to be able to build a resort where no outside intrusion interferes with the theming. You can literally see telephone lines , cheap motels, and other junk at many locales inside the Disneyland Resort. It was crowded before they took over the parking lot with 2 more hotels , Downtown Disney ,and California Adventure. You just can't compare the locales.

Seriously ,I am in no way discrediting Disneyland Resort , at all. Disneyland is the foundation for everything that followed. And I'm glad that there is an actual resort destination in California now. And ,in fact ,I think that California Adventure is just as good as any of the other 10 Disney parks. And , furthermore ,I'd love to be able to bounce around between West and East as much as you do. Disney is Disney , long may it stand !

Mufasa
04-07-2007, 04:12 AM
When WDW was in the early development phases, the plan for Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom actually called for several different attractions to be developed-

A Sleeping Beauty based dark ride (in place of Snow White's Scary Adventures)

An Ichabod Crane and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow attraction (in place of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride)

And a Mary Poppins based attraction (in place of Peter Pan's Flight)

These attractions were all meant as stylistic parallels to the rides in Disneyland- but I want to say it was around 1968 when Roy Disney Sr. pretty much made the decision that for WDW these core attractions should be the same as Disneyland.

Ian
04-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Man, how great would a Sleeping Beauty attraction and a Mary Poppins ride look in WDW's Magic Kingdom??

I think that would have been awesome. Too bad they abandoned those ideas.

There is some prime space under Pooh's Playful Spot that would be "practically perfect" for one of them. ;)

Besides that , how can you dismiss 22 resorts vs. 3 ? Four theme parks vs. 2 ( o.k. , I know you don't like AK or MGM , but I also know you hate California Adventure ) ? Two waterparks vs. none ? A far more expansive Downtown Disney ? Two excellent mini-golf courses vs. none ? A monorail that runs 5 times further ?Five golf courses vs. none ?I'll be honest ... I find all those things detriments to Disney World. The biggest thing I loved about DL was the intimacy of the place. I could basically walk out my door and ten steps later I was at the park entrance gates. No twenty minutes spent crammed on a bus, feeling more like I'm commuting to work than heading to a theme park.

That early morning stroll through Downtown Disney, stopping along the way for some coffee and a muffin, arriving at the gates ... that was part of what made the magic for me.

Honestly, I think the size of Walt Disney World is a big part of its problem, not a plus. It's just too darn big and unwieldy anymore. The other thing is, man Walt was everywhere in Disneyland. I had some of the absolute coolest moments of my life there. Like I'm standing in one of the stores on Main Street looking at a picture of Walt standing on Main Street and watching a maintenance man scrub the pavement. Then I look up and out the window and I'm looking at the exact spot where that picture was taken!

And walking by the firehouse and seeing that light burning up in Walt's apartment. Holy cow!! Honestly, for someone like me who is such a big Disney fan ... that was as close to a religious experience as I can get outside of church.

Kristi Kay
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I certainly wish there were a Alice ride! I love that ride!

caryrae
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I thought I read or heard somewhere that Walt Disney never wanted DL and MK to be the same. He didn't want an east coast DL. I could be wrong.

I found the quote by Walt Disney himself.

"I've always said that there will never be another Disneyland, and I think it's going to work out that way. But it will be the equivalent of Disneyland. We know the basic things that have family appeal. There are many ways that you can use those certain basic things and give them a new decor, a new treatment. This concept here will have to be something that is unique, so there is a distinction between Disneyland in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."

Carol
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
That early morning stroll through Downtown Disney, stopping along the way for some coffee and a muffin, arriving at the gates ... that was part of what made the magic for me.I love Downtown Disney in California. It connects everything and really does feel like a stroll 'downtown'.

And walking by the firehouse and seeing that light burning up in Walt's apartment. Holy cow!! Honestly, for someone like me who is such a big Disney fan ... that was as close to a religious experience as I can get outside of church.I couldn't agree more. Walt is everywhere in Disneyland. You 'feel' him. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

GrmGrninGost
04-15-2007, 12:50 AM
There's no need to have the same rides at all the MKs. If they were all alike it would take away my reason for wanting to go to all of them!:mickey: