PDA

View Full Version : We did it! Couple of questions

Tinkermom
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I called Member Services and reserved a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise for 2/08! :joy: We won't be officially booked until DVC comes out with the '08 points for the cruise though. We are keeping it a secret from our kids ages 12, 10, and 5! It is going to be so hard to keep quiet about this for 10 months! :secret:

This is our first cruise as a family. DH and I cruised when I was 5 months pregnant with our first child (13 years ago). We cruised the Atlantic to Bermuda in Oct and hit rough seas. I was sick in our stateroom the entire way back from Bermuda due to being seasick - not because of the pregnacy. It was NOT a good trip. I pray that this one is better. I am going to get some seasickness medication from my doctor. I know there are some patches you can wear. Any recommendations?

The state room given to us is #8560. I know it is a Cat 4 but how many beds exactly does it have? Also, what is the veranda like? Is it large enough for DH and I to sit out on and have coffee in the morning?:D :mcoffee: What kind of railing would it have? I have read about a clear rail and a solid. Which is better?:confused:

The early dining option was not available so we were put on a waitlist for it. How likely are we to get it? Not really a big deal if we do not get it but we would prefer the earlier option. I am mainly thinking that our DD (she will be 6 when we cruise) may be pretty tired by that time.

So excited!:mickey:

TammiMcMan
04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
We are keeping it a secret from our kids ages 12, 10, and 5! It is going to be so hard to keep quiet about this for 10 months! :secret:That is a long time to try and keep the secret. I don't think I could go that long without spilling the beans.

I know there are some patches you can wear. Any recommendations?I had Bonine with us. Personally, I like it better than Dramamine because there are no drowsy side effects. You just need to start taking it before the ship leaves port.

The state room given to us is #8560. I know it is a Cat 4 but how many beds exactly does it have? Also, what is the veranda like? Is it large enough for DH and I to sit out on and have coffee in the morning?:D :mcoffee: What kind of railing would it have? I have read about a clear rail and a solid.8560 is in a pretty good location. Deck noise should be at a minimum. The bedding is the one queen bed, a convertible twin sofa, a murpy bed that pulls out of the wall and a berth bed that drops down out of the ceiling (over the sofa, sort of like a bunk bed setup). The verandah will have 2 chairs and a coffee table. They aren't super wide, but big enough to enjoy your coffee. It will have a clear plexiglass railing. I think most people prefer the clear because it feels more open.

The early dining option was not available so we were put on a waitlist for it. How likely are we to get it?I'd say your chances are pretty good. If you don't hear from them before you cruise, just try to get to the port as early as possible. When you board, they'll have a place to go for any dining room changes. The sooner you get there, the more options you'll have.

FatCat
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I use Bonine as well. We also had Bonine kids which I assume is the same thing but a smaller dose.

Seemed to work well.

Your room is close to aft stairwell. Makes it easy to run up to the free beverage station.

Also easy access to the buffet topside.

The railings are quite high. Our 4 year old stood on a chair and the railing only came up to her shoulders so I was not that concerned. Of course I stayed out there with her.

Assuming the ship docks at castaway Cay Stern side in you will have a lovely view of the Flying Dutchman if it is still there.

Wow early dining is gone already?
We like the early too. Goto shows afer dinner.

nat
04-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree, try bonine! I do not get seasick :ack: but I get a very funky feeling in my head?? I thought I could do without it, but low and behold the first evening on the ship the feeling came! Within five minutes of chewing one bonine it was gone! I could feel it coming back every 12 hours, so I took two a day and felt just fine. It doesn't make you sleepeee eithier! I have tried seabands and ginger, no good! I didn't realize that they make it for kids too, thats good to know, hope this helps! Also, be prepared, we went with ext.family and I had every possible drug for sea-sickness/illness for everyone!

JMTStone
04-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I use Wrist Bands when I fly for nausea... Elastic bands that have a little bulb where the inside of the wrist goes. It does help a little. I got mine at Rite Aid (Walgreens, Eckerd too)