PDA

View Full Version : Silent Ice

wizardmickey
04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, Friday was the last time I was "on". Did some ROPES Training at work, had band rehearsal & then hit the road for Tyler, Texas (Canton Trade Days.) Got some cool stuff I need some info on from you "experts", but will post that later.
Friday was feeling rather puny, and my voice kept cracking while I was singing (no-one noticed, but I knew it.) By Saturday, I awoke with no voice. It would come and go throughout the day, but by today (Monday) I was in full blown coughing-mode, fever, sinus infection & still minus my voice (when it makes an appearance I sound like a snotty-headed bullfrog!!) Doctor issued me some antibiotics & I'm home after our road trip trying to get some rest so I can get back to work. I'll come visit y'all tonight on VMK so I can "share the love"!

Blue Genie
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Welcome back silent worrior :D :drill: :play: :medic:

Chescat
04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Ah, sorry Ice. :medic:

wizardmickey
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Ok, here it is Wednesday & I am still home & still sick! :ill:
Visited the doctor today and he is confident the worst is over though since I crashed that fever wall last night (or early this morning actually my wife reports!) The Bronchitis is abating, the voice is cautiously coming back, but the sinuses are still badly infected (which in turn runs down my throat making it sore again & into my chest which keeps me coughing! Yay!) Today he switched my antibiotics (glad I have insurance, because without insurance them little pills woulda been $122!!!) He gave a breathing treatment on a Nebulizer, gave me some steroid concoction shot to make my sinuses shrink up some, and added Advair to my daily regimin for now. He said to stay home/not return to work until Monday, so here I sit!!!
A funny story to tell here: Wife was supposed to be home all this week, but an emergency came up where they needed her to fill in for another Facilitator who's Mom was dying so he could go home, so off she went. Initially was supposed to be Mon/Tue & then home Wed, but found out the caller neglected to mention the class was a 2-parter, so even though she'd have Wed off she had a follow-up class Thur/Fri. Disappointed? Yup. But since she was only 3 & 1/2 hours away she figured she'd drive home on Tue night after class since she had a day off & nothing to between classes. Tue afternoon she calls to say some things have come up & she now has to meet with the clients for dinner & go over some changes to implemented before class Thur. So, around 9 pm she calls & says she needs me to go to her "office" (yes, we have a office for her here at home) and look up some stuff she would need that the client requested during their dinner meeting. So as I drag my sorry carcass to the office and am going through stuff in her (unorganized) filing system, the doorbell rings. She wants to know who would be visiting me at that time of night... I have no clue, she says go get the door and then call her back so I can give her the info she needs. I go to the door, and through watery puffy eyes & the distorted glass of our peep-hole, I see an unexpected face: My wife! She had tricked me & had been driving home each time she had called me "from the road"! Pretty sneaky, huh?

Mr. Tom Morrow
04-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Ice thats awesome! I liked her when I met her and I like even more now:thumbsup:
That is a great suprise you must have been very happy:mickey: Good work Mr. Ice where ever you are:cool:

PinkJJ
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey Iceman,
Hope you are feeling better. I think you and my husband have the same thing.:(
Get some rest. Drink losts of fluids. ( I work at an Instacare center and you sound like 70% of our clients :ill: ) Play lots of VMK! That's my nurses addition to what the doctor already prescribed. ;)

wizardmickey
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
That's my nurses addition to what the doctor already prescribed.
Thanks Pink. You proabably know then that those who work in "the field" often neglect our own health and make the worst patients, right? With you in Nursing (I'm assuming from your message) and me a Therapist at a Psych Facility, we see the whole "Physician Heal Thyself"-Syndrome daily (and I tend to laugh hysterically at some of the doc's at our hospital 'cuz they have worse issues than our patients!!!)
But thanks again; I'm about to drown in all of the fluids taken (to wash down med's) & when the cat's let me sleep I've managed to stay in bed until almost 8 am (which is late considering they usually get up & want to be fed at 6 am when my alarm usually goes off: they're conditioned to that time now!) I'm resting as much as I can today because I'm hoping to make band practice tomorrow, if nothing else just to play my guitar parts & maybe do some back-up vocals (will decide on how much I'm willing to sing based on how I feel when I get there.)

PinkJJ
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I tend to laugh hysterically at some of the doc's at our hospital 'cuz they have worse issues than our patients!!!

Haha! I know what you mean.;)

TinkRocks
04-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Ice - hope you're feeling better soon.

How nice of Mrs. Ice to surprise you like that. I'm sure she is givin' you the TLC you need...

wizardmickey
04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Feeling a wee bit better folks. Only 7 more days of antibiotics left to go!
Went to jam with the band last night with the "intention" of not really doing much vocal work: HA! We had some "guests" and the boys wanted to show off a bit, so as the tossed requests from our song list I merely stood by and cringed... all stuff that required me not only to sing but nail the high notes! Mercifally, our lead guitarist spoke up & said "Hey, the guy's been sick for over a week, let's play something else, ok?" Still I tried a few & came home with my throat torn up again. So, silent again for a few days while the throat re-heals.

RenDuran
04-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Did you sound like Bobby Brady when he sang with his voice cracking? Of course, his was from puberty, not illness!

Take care and quit singing, already!:cool:

BuzzSpaceAce
04-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Pink knows what she is talking about, call in sick and play vmk, and you will feel better soon! :ill: :sick:

bigpapiortiz34
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Aww, I am sorry to hear about this Ice. I hope you get better really soon to start playing in that band of yours again. I know that being sick stinks, but stick it through buddy. I know you can :)

wizardmickey
04-08-2007, 09:13 PM
BuzzSpaceAce: ...call in sick and play vmk, and you will feel better soon!
Wish I could afford to stay home a little bit longer, but I've already (between this bout of illness & the 10 weeks worth of knee treatments I underwent once a week at the end of last year/start of this year) burnt up all of my sick leave at work. Financially, (not to sound like I'm bragging) being charged Leave Without Pay isn't that big of a deal, but I've got 2 weeks worth of charting to catch up on now that I'm sure no-one covered for me while I was out... I'll remember that next time another Therapist needs a favor from me!

RenDuran: Did you sound like Bobby Brady when he sang with his voice cracking?
I wish I had at least sounded that good! I made through 2 easy songs: "Knockin' on Heavens Door" and "Wonderful Tonight" before I started running out of breath & volume. I sounded a bit like Peter Criss/Rod Stewart/Bob Segar/Bob Dylan with asthma & a severly stuffy nose, so I eventually even gave up doing back-ups. I promise I will behave myself at band practice this week!!!