PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green 3/23-25

u2daisyblue
04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
:number1: My DH was on a business trip to Crystal River FL for 2 weeks so the kids and I joined him for 1 week. Since making the trek every day from Crystal River to Orlando alone was not appealing for me we decided to make a family trip from Friday to Sunday. Luckily my DH got out of his business at noon on Friday so we were able to head off early and get to Orlando. My DH is a federal employee and also in the USCG Reserves Active Duty so we were able to stay at Shades of Green. I wasn't sure what to expect since I have read so many conflicting reports but we absolutly loved it. When we got to the hotel check in was a breeze. While we were checking in the kids watched a movie on a tv set up for kids at the reception area (it was a huge hit for DD (4) and DS (6). The hotel is absolutely beautiful. After only staying in value resorts when we go to disney we felt like we were living it up. Don't get me wrong I still love value resorts esp. POP, but for the small $ difference for us this is Deluxe compared to POP. We had a pool side room which was awesome and the pools were heated. Rooms were very big, 2 queen beds, pull out sofa, table w/4 chairs, nice armoire with TV in it, very nicely decorated. Bathroom was very big and we had a patio with table and chairs. Had I know this place was this nice I probably would have stayed here before now. DH says he won't do value again after experiencing SOG.

We ate at the breakfast buffet at the hotel and at Manginos. Breakfast buffet was great for the price, we had a big breakfast and were set for most of the day. We ate at Manginos the first night, the food was fantastic! Really nice atmosphere. The pics they show online at the SOG website do not really show how great the place is, much nicer in person.

SOG does have their own buses, we used them to go to downtown disney first night. They don't run often but they run on a tight schedule so you know when the buses are going to the parks.

We only had time to do one park so we went to Magic Kingdom on the Saturday. We just walked accross the street to Poli and took the monorail. Was a little nervous about the walk with the kids (had no stroller) but they loved it and it really is such a short walk. Plus they love riding the monorail so it was a real treat. Had a great day at MK, bought ticks at SOG (no discount on 1 day ticks but you save a little on not paying taxes). Kids actually stayed awake till 11:30. Had diner at Crystal Palace, that place never dissappoints us. Had great waiter, he spilled choc milk on table just got a little on kids but was very apologetic. No biggy to us, were in MK and only for 1 day so little spilled milk was not going to upset us, life is too short. Anyway guy felt so bad he gave us two fast passes for the four of us to get on any ride in the park that day. We were so excited it was so unexpected. It was DD's bday so waiter brought out cupcake with candle for her. He was just so nice ( just remembered his name, Scotty) and so happy we did not get upset over spilled milk.

Right when the fireworks were going off we were on the Dumbo ride, wow that was great. We have never seen them from that side of the park we have only been in front of the castle for the fireworks. It was spectacular and the kids were in awe being right under them.

Sunday we went to Seaworld, took advantage of the Salute to Heros and we all got in free. We loved it and had a great time. The sealion show was a riot. Believe was an amazing show, kids are still talking about both. We sat is soak zone for Believe and when we saw the people in front of us taking off their clothes (had bathing suits on) and putting them in bags we knew it was not good. We got drenched but it was fun. My son now wants to work their with the killer whales when he grows up. This was our first time there and there was a lot more there than I tought would be. Had a great day. Ate dinner at underwater shark grill, great food. Kids actaully sat thru a whole meal just staring at sharks swimming around. we were right beside the tank. Waitress was really nice, food took a little while to come out but we didn't complain because the kids were just enjoying themselves so much. But the manager came over and apologized for the food taking so long and we all got free dessert. We were very happy that we didn't even have to say a word, they were so on top of things.

As for the rest of our time in Crystal River it was nice. Big Manatee area if you ever want to go diving or swimming with them. We went to the Homosassa Springs wildlife sanctuary, it was really nice. The kids loved all the wildlife. We stayed at the best western in Crystal River which was nice. After going to SOG the kids didn't want to go back to BW just no comparison. We also did Dinosaur World which is near Tampa. It was fun, lots of big dinosaurs, kids did the dinosaur dig. Not sure I would make the 1 & 1/2 drive again for it but if your near Tampa it's worth it.

So that was our trip. We weren't even supposed to go to Disney but when I was able to get into SOG last minute we just went for it. So glad we did. Never got to go to Disney when I was a kid, 1st time was when I was 28 but now a huge Disney fan. I just can't get enough of it and even though we only got to do 1 park for 1 day it's better than nothing it my eyes.:cloud9:

disneyfamily05
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip! Seems like you had a great time with lots done in a short amount of time. Isn't it great that you got to throw in one little trip unexpectedly!

disneydrmr
04-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Those quick, last minute trips are usually the most fun! Sounds like your family had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

pogo
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Ah yes....... you are bitten by the Disney bug, for sure.:mickey:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us and tell your DH, Thank you for me for being there to protect us through his service. :flag: :D

DizNee143
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
sounds like you had a good vacation with a quick stop at the World...thanx for sharing!! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for sharing sounds like a great time.

ibrowse17
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Glad you had a great time. SOG is a very nice place, and I am glad you got a chance to stay there.:thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you had a really nice weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us. :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Glad you liked Shades. Sounds like you guys really packed a lot into that weekend!!!:)

faline
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Great trip! You hd a few lovely surprises along the way!

mrsgaribaldi
04-04-2007, 03:01 AM
:welcome: to Intercot.
Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed hearing about the other places since I've never been to any of them:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
04-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: