PDA

View Full Version : DD Return To Vimy Trip

Mr. Tom Morrow
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Thought I’d share the trip my daughter is going on to Europe. This year marks the 90th anniversary of the Battle at Vimy Ridge during WW1. The trip for grade 10 students is retracing the steps of that battle visiting London, Belguim and France. What started out as a little trip has snowballed into a major media event with one of the Canadian networks paying millions of dollars for the exclusive rights to cover the event. On April
9th there will be a ceremony with the Canadian Prime Minister, the President of France (in his last public appearance)and even the Queen. They are expecting about 50000 to attend. Every student in our area was assigned a Canadian Soldier that lost their life in the battle of Vimy ridge and was expected to research and create a time capsule entry for that soldier. Our DD was very successful in her research locating his family that lives on the same farm he was born on. They sent us pictures, letters he wrote to his mother in the war and so much information she was able to create an amazing tribute to him. This is definitely an opportunity of a lifetime for her, she is so excited. Every high school in our area has a group going totalling 400 students, and now it has grown into students and cadet groups all over Canada joining in . If anyone happens to see any coverage on this, look for the students wearing the green replica army shirts. My dd will be one of them.

ElenitaB
04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Dave, that is so awesome! What an honor for your DD and what a trip of a lifetime for her!

Wish her the best for us and if I see any coverage of it, I'll be sure to be looking for the green replica army shirts!

Mickey'sGirl
04-02-2007, 10:18 AM
What a tremendous experience for her Dave! DS8's teacher in SK went with a High School group for the services for the Juno Beach Memorial -- and we saw her photos etc. I think it is fabulous that our students are being given the opportunity to go and see such meaningful historic sites for themselves. I hope she has a fabulous time!

Caroleh
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
How wonderful, Dave!!! I bet she is SO excited for this trip of a lifetime!!! I'll be looking forward to the coverage. I think its wonderful for our children to make this historic trip to remember and learn about the soldiers during the World Wars.

scooterca42
04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
That's excellent - we were there in 2005 but unfortunately the memorial was still in refurb. It evidently looks amazing now.

We did get to go into the subways, and see where my grandfather would have waited to go over the top...

It is a place where one feels most Canadian. We also went to the cemetary. Maple Leaves as far as the eye could see, practically. And Canada was only 50 yars old when this battle happened.

Wish they did this sort of thing when we were kids!!!

Tick-Tock
04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. Your DD is so lucky to have such an amazing experience! It sounds like she did a great job honoring her soldier. When I was in college, I did a project involving some alums' letters home from WWI, and reading their words (and seeing pictures they took, that were still enclosed in the letters) was an unforgettable experience.

I saw on the news yesterday that the last known American Navy WWI veteran just died, at age 105. There are three known American Army WWI veterans, and one from Washington State who served in the Canadian Army. It's incredible that there are still a few WWI veterans out there even now!

Mr. Tom Morrow
04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
When I was in college, I did a project involving some alums' letters home from WWI, and reading their words (and seeing pictures they took, that were still enclosed in the letters) was an unforgettable experience.

I know what you mean, reading his letters really gave us shivers. One of the letters was dated 1 day before he lost his life at Vimy Ridge and wasn't delivered until weeks after his death. Very moving.

mouseaddict
04-03-2007, 09:29 PM
It makes me so sad to know that my son and daughter may ever get to meet a WW1 or WW2 vet. As a nurse I care for many patients that fought in one of the great wars, and here in the US I meet alot of Korean and Vietnam vets. They have seen horrors that we can never imagine. They are brave and honorable and it brings me great joy to see younger generations show their respect.
I lived in Ottawa for 7 years and passed the war memorial every day. November 11th always brought me to tears. Then again, the Bell Canada commercial where the boy called his grandfather from Dieppe had me sobbing uncontrollably!
Please give us a trip report with lots of pics!

Damon18
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
That is going to be an amazing experience for your daughter! It is really wonderful to hear how she has embraced this oppotunity and has done such a great job. Let her know that we are proud to have someone like her representing Canada at this ceremony, and I hope she has a safe trip and a great time.:thumbsup:

alpro2
04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
That is great Dave. Thanks for sharing. I will be on the lookout for the event in the news. What a great experience (and education) for her. :thumbsup:

wizardmickey
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
So let me get this straight: The daughter of the Mayor of Tomorrowland is going to have the opportunity to rub elbows with a Prime Minister, a President & a Queen? Dude, make sure her elbows are clean for gosh sake!!
Awesome news bub! Congrats to yer kiddle on an awesome achievement and to the proud Pop!

scooterca42
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Saw a little bit about the trip on BT this morning! How amazing! I hope she's doing a report for school, maybe ask her if you can post an edited version of it on the non-Disney trip report area here? I'd love to read about it.

Caroleh
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I just made the DH watch C-pac for a short time, while the queen was walking around shaking hands. I saw a few young people in the green replica shirts, and was wondering if one of them was your DD, Dave. I bet you've been glued to the tv today!! You'll have to have her post a few pics and give us a trip report!!!!

MsMin
04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
That is so amazing. What a wonderful experience for her. Keep us updated and do post pictures when you get them.

MickeysGirl
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Dave, I hope your daughter had a wonderful send off yesterday. I can't wait to hear all about it. What an amazing tribute!

I remember you and Mrs. Morrow talking about this trip. Make sure to post some pictures, OK?

Chescat
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Dave, that is so awesome. I heard you talking a little about bit about it in VMK. Its an experience of a lifetime for her and also your whole family.

Like Ice said, wow first having her pop as mayor of Tomorrowland, now this. Life just can't get any better. :cloud9:

scooterca42
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Hope her flight back was good - and I bet she had a wonderful time! Do let us know how it went, would you?