PDA

View Full Version : Fielin's 30th birthday trip 20-28th of March, day 4

fielin
04-02-2007, 06:50 AM
First morning in AKL, and my birthday too !

I woke up to giraffes and zebras, and sunny florida, and suddenly I was 30... Well believe me, it made absolutely no difference !

We had planned a slower day in order to enjoy AKL and take our breath. We went around the hotel, enjoyed the (very cold, I suspect it was not heated !) swimming pool, and generally took a hundred photos of this beautiful hotel.

We had breakfast at Boma, really nice. Try the jungle juice !

Then we went to Blizzard Beach. This is a wonderful aquatic park. The theming is really fun, the slides are great, we just loved it all !

After enjoying the park for three hours, which allowed us to do every slide, the lazy river, and the bobbing pool, we tried the miniature golf (snow course), which we found excellent.

Back to the hotel we went to get ready for Victoria and Albert. We put our formal clothes on, and headed to Epcot.

Just after we arrived in the park, some CM came towards us and pointed towards Innovention saying "If you want to try Test Tracks or Mission Space, just go in there, you'll have great fun !", suprised, we just did what we were told, and discovered that inside, some members of the dream team were giving away special pins and larnyards. :party:

Then we got to try :

Mission Space : Excellent ride. Loved it (spinning version). None of us experienced any motion sickness.

Test Track : Very fun ride. The last part (75mph) is impressive.

the Sea with Nemo and friends : Nice dark ride, but I was disappointed. The aquariums come much too late in the ride, and the neat effects (Nemo and friends projected directly in the water) are too scarce.

Turtle Talk With Crush : Great show ! We loved it so much I wanted to do it twice ! :mickey:

Journey into Imagination with Figment : there was absolutely no wait, so I thought : hey, why not. Well, it wasn't even worth the time I spent sitting in the ride. Boring, stupid, pointless.

Spaceship Earth : again no wait. This ride needs a rehab, but I loved it nonetheless. Very optimistic message, beautiful ending.

Then we left for Victoria and Albert, knowing that we had a full day planned later in the week for Epcot. :number1:

Now, Victoria and Albert... Before I go on I have to tell you a little bit more about me. I am French, and this was the first time I came to the USA.

I was very impressed with California Grill (Good food, not great), and Jiko (Great food). I expected to be baffled with a fantastic culinary experience in Victoria and Albert.

I. Was. Not. This was such a disappointement. :(

Maybe it is because I am French. I am used to going to good little restaurants here, that serve much the same food as in V&A, but do not have this stiff atmosphere.

I honestly think that my waitress was misled. She thought that elegant means snob, and that luxurious means stiff.

In the most pricey restaurant I went to here in France, I was put at ease by a subtle and discreet waiter, who made sure at every moment that I had everything I needed, smiled a lot, and was generally very nice.

In V&A, I felt watched. At the end of the dinner, they brought me a cake to take home, for my birthday. I thought this was a sweet intention, that nearly made up for the general atmosphere of the meal.

So I smiled to the waitress and said "Thank you so much, that's nice !" She just nodded, handed me the note, and went away while I hesitated about what tip she deserved for this cold behaviour. :(

I was very disappointed. I really expected so much about this experience... I spent a much better time and enjoyed just as good a meal at California Grill or Jiko... and I paid way less !

I think you have to experience it, and do not regret the evening. But I also know that I don't need to come back to V&A ! ;)

BelleCiavo
04-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes bad service, just one of the couple of reasons I do not care to visit V&A. Cool that you met the dream team :thumbsup:

Happy Belated Birthday :party:

fielin
04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Thank you BelleCiavo ! :mickey:

ElenitaB
04-02-2007, 09:10 AM
What a wonderfuly birthday you had! A wonderful morning at AKL, a great afternoon at Epcot (how wonderful that you met up with the Dream Team) and then dinner, albeit disappointing, at V&A. (Was the meal itself good at least?) Sorry that the experience wasn't all you expected but at least you can say that you've been there!

Happy belated birthday!

Christine
04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
How nice to spend your birthday in the USA and Disney, to boot!

Sorry your dinner at V&A was a disappointment. I agree...elegant should not mean snobby!

fielin
04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes it was a wonderful birthday !

I was with my beloved one, in a wonderful place, and I did so much in one day that it really felt like it was four different days... (Does that mean that I am four years older ? ;-) )

As for the V&A experience, I was disappointed, but it was a good evening nonetheless. And the food was above average (but not excellent).

Bethis26fan
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
sorry your dinner wasn't as good as it could be, but it sounds like the rest of your birthday went well. Thanks for sharing.

pogo
04-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday with the exception of dinner at V & A. I've never had the pleasure of dining there, and to tell you the truth, I'm not interested in it at all.:shake: I don't do the snob thing very well.:humph:

I'm loving how well you decribe your day as well as your feelings. I can't wait to read more. :D

ChipnDaleGal
04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I am sorry that your dinner at V & A was a disappointment, but I am so glad that you didn't let it ruin an otherwise perfect Birthday at WDW.

By the way, I have to tell you that your command of the English language is very impressive. If you hadn't mentioned being French I would have never guessed it by your writing. :mickey:

faline
04-03-2007, 12:02 PM
At almost any restaurant, the wait staff really make it an incredible experience or leave you with a bit of bad taste in your mouth. I suspect this is what happened to you which is too bad. We had a very good experience at Victoria and Albert's with helpful and discreet wait staff. On the other hand, we have very good service at Jiko but a waiter that was quite uninterested so we walked away with a not highly favorable opinion.

What a great way to celebrate your birthday!

scooterca42
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the service in a French restaurant - my sister and husband lived in Ste Germaine en Laye for four years and we ate many different meals in many different restaurants - I do believe the French have mastered the art of waiting tables...:)

Still, a good birthday! And 30 doesn't really hurt, hmmm?

sleepingbooty
04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the details, glad you had a nice birthday! I have to agree with Pogo, I'm not at all interested in dining at V & A's - especially after your review!

pdrlkr
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: