PDA

View Full Version : H.S. Graduation - Sticky Situation

slt21
04-02-2007, 02:11 AM
I'll be graduating from high school in early June (:D). I've wanted to send out announcements to family and close friends. It is my understanding that graduation announcements are sent out about 14 days before the graduation ceremony. However, that's a big problem:

Sending out graduation announcements 14 days before my ceremony would mean that I would be sending them out the week of my cousin's wedding. Quite frankly, I feel like I'd be stealing their thunder by sending out announcements. I've had several people tell me that there's nothing wrong with it, but I just don't feel right about drawing any attention to myself during that time. That week should be entirely devoted to the couple, not me.

I'm just feeling cruddy about this entire situation. I've already asked my direct family not to make any mention of my birthday (which falls 5 days before the wedding, and like a graduation also seems pretty trivial when compared to a wedding), because I didn't want to steal any attention, and now my graduation is scheduled at a time that makes sending out announcements feel wrong, too.

So, I'd like some advice: should I just go ahead and forgo announcements entirely (it's what I'm leaning toward at the moment)? If not, then what's my alternative?

Truthfully, my family is absolutely amazing (I mean it...I have no idea why I've been blessed to such a degree that I'm related to them) and I highly doubt they would take any offense to it, but just because they're wonderful people doesn't mean I should go ahead and do it. Like I said, I just don't feel right having anyone congratulating or even giving thought to me during that time.

Any advice?

Dsnygirl
04-02-2007, 02:26 AM
:grad: First of all, congrats on your upcoming graduation!! You should be very proud!

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ you sending out your announcements - it's not like your graduation is on the same day as the wedding. Everyone who is attending the wedding has known about it for some time, and getting an invitation to your graduation a few days before the upcoming ceremony won't steal any thunder from your cousin. In fact, it may be helpful - I'm sure most of the people getting the announcement are aware you are graduating, and are going to be wondering when the ceremony is. If you don't send out the announcements, then everyone will be asking you about it at the wedding, and you may find that to be more of an issue than if they get the announcement and can just put the date on their calendar.

Your family sounds wonderful and very supportive - they will want to celebrate your graduation as much as your cousin's wedding, and you shouldn't feel bad about such a big milestone getting some of the attention. It certainly won't detract from the attention on the couple - instead, it just adds more joy to the celebration, and you should definitely allow yourself to enjoy what you have accomplished. I'm sure your family would want that for you, including your cousin.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide - but I think you should definitely send out those announcements, with pride! :thumbsup:

Scar
04-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I'm usually clueless about these things so my apologies in advance, but...

I've wanted to send out announcements to family and close friends.Wouldn’t your family and close friends already know your graduating? :confused:

kakn7294
04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I think that you should definately send out your announcements! You have worked hard to reach this point and you should be proud to share it. You are not stealing their thunder by sending out your announcements. Most people expect graduations to take place in June and I'm sure that your family all knows that you are graduating, so they are probably expecting to get an announcement. My sister and I (and our husbands and children) have been excluded from an upcoming family wedding and let me tell you, I feel slighted at that. Not sending out your announcements might actually make the wrong impression!

Caroleh
04-02-2007, 09:32 AM
First off,:congrats: on your graduation!!! Is your family and friends close by? I'm orginally from the States , so my family is all there and a majority of my friends. My SIL always send my announcement early to me because of living up here. One of my nephews and a friend sent their's out a week before their graduation and they got to me after it actually happened...maybe a week after if not more. I was offended because I felt like they were just asking for a gift. My SIL that sends mine early, usually gets me there for the occasion.

I'd say if you concened about sending them out that close to the wedding, just send them a little early, I don't think anyone would give it a second thought.

Auntie
04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Send them! You have a lot to celebrate. Why shouldn't your friends and family rejoice with you also. Has nothing to do with the wedding. It's not as if they are the only people with lives..I'm sure they'll understand. They probably wouldn't give it a second thought. You aren't have a party on the day of their wedding or anything..it's a simple annoucement of your accomplishments. Good for you!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Of course, every family is different, but in my family no one would think it was a big deal to receive a graduation announcement around the same time as a wedding. Two different types of events, both for happy reasons. :)

crazypoohbear
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
:congrats:
Graduating is a big deal and you should send out announcements. No one is going to think you are stealing the spotlight from the bride and groom.

Plus sending announcements may actually save you from stealing any thunder. If you don't at the wedding everyone might be asking about the graduation instead of enjoying the bride and groom.

Marker
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I can't really see that graduation announcements would steal any thunder from their wedding. It's not like you're scheduling your graduation party for that day. It's just the announcements. People need to get the announcement to put it on their calendars.

I'm also sure your cousin wouldn't want to steal your thunder either. I'm sure they'd much rather you go ahead and send them out than to not send them out because of them.

In fact, if it was me, I'd take advantage of the wedding to hand out some personally and save the postage... but that's just me.

And, congrats on graduation. That's a big thing, enjoy.

Disney Doll
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Another vote for sending them. If you really feel uncomfortable about sending them the week of the wedding, then send them early. However, I think sending them the week of the wedding is fine. Congrats!

murphy1
04-02-2007, 05:52 PM
I agree that you should send them. I might add I am very impressed to see you think of others, too. Congrats, too:party:

magicofdisney
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Unless you've secretly been in school, I'm sure your cousin, along with the rest of the family, is aware you're graduating and announcements shouldn't cause any hard feelings. ;)

MsMin
04-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I've known brides (not to exclude the groom but it's only been brides)that felt bad b/c their wedding stole the thunder from someone's b/d or graduation. If you grabbed the mic when they were presenting the bride and groom for a first dance then yes, it would be wrong other than that --- life goes on.
I do suggest that you send it prior to 14 days. I suggest 3-4 weeks and as Carol mentioned it's not uncommon to let ppl know as far as 6 wks as you would for any major event.
I agree too that you may hurt more ppl who think you didn't care enough to share this event with them. Send them and congrats..