PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused....

Sunshine1010
04-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a DVC membership w/SSR. I want to go in December (which happens to be my use year).

I've been told by everyone to make a ressie with SSR (which I've done), and then in May, call day by day and switch to the resort I want (WL).

Question: Should I put my entire stay on a wait list? I'm kinda confused.

I mean, why would I do the day-by-day thing, if I can be put on a wait list?

Can you have both?

Tinkermom
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I personally do not like the day-by-day thing. You could end up getting part of your stay at VWL and the other part at SSR if nothing is open on one or more of those days. You risk losing days on your current ressie at SSR as you have to cancel them in order to change to VWL.

I have always just tried calling 7 months out on the last day of our stay and tried moving the entire stay rather than day-by-day. You still risk not getting in but at least your stay is not split and you do still have a wonderful resort to stay at (SSR). If nothing is available you can still be waitlisted. A lot of times the waitlist comes through especially if you are 7 months out. Remember, there are probably some VWL owners who are doing the same as you!;)

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I personally do not like the day-by-day thing. You could end up getting part of your stay at VWL and the other part at SSR if nothing is open on one or more of those days. You risk losing days on your current ressie at SSR as you have to cancel them in order to change to VWL.

I have always just tried calling 7 months out on the last day of our stay and tried moving the entire stay rather than day-by-day. You still risk not getting in but at least your stay is not split and you do still have a wonderful resort to stay at (SSR). If nothing is available you can still be waitlisted. A lot of times the waitlist comes through especially if you are 7 months out.
I completely agree with Lisa's post.
I am not a fan of the "day by day" routine that so many advocate...
But it is your call. Good luck! :mickey:

Tiggerish
04-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I, too, have had good experiences with the waitlist.

CarolMN
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I am not a big fan of the day by day thing either, but the chances of getting what you want (a December stay at the VWL) are better if you are willing and able to do it. Waitlists for individual days are more likely to come through than waitlists for several days tied together.

Unfortunately, there is lots of competiton for the VWL rooms in December (especially since availability at 7 months is very limited to begin with as VWL owners love that time of year, too).

There are plenty of DVC members who are willing and able to call day by day. That makes getting several days to become available all at once via the waitlist less likely, even if you are at or near the top of the waitlist. MS will not hold days for you while waiting for other days in your request to come through.

A person has to decide for herself if she is willing to risk moving if she calls day by day and waitlists for individual days (if waitlisting is necessary). Some think it worth the risk and others do not. Those who do not, either waitlist for the whole thing or they buy points to have the home resort booking advantage.

Ideally (for those who have to use the 7 month window), it works best if you have enough points to hold the home resort reservation until the VWL reservation is set. Not all of us do, though.

Carolee - hope you get your reservation. Good luck!