PDA

View Full Version : Looking for data tying class size to test scores

alphamommy
04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
DD is in first grade. A group of the parents is trying to lobby the school administration to break the two existing classes into three second grade classrooms next year. There are 25 children in each class, and many of the children are having a hard time with this.

My job is to research for information on a coorelation between class size and standardized test scores. We have to speak in a language that the school officials will understand, and we think the best way to approach this is to show that three smaller classes will outperform two large classes.

Does anyone know where I can find such information? I've found some websites using Google, but I am interested in any personal experience any of you might have.

Thanks!
Tammy

DizneyRox
04-01-2007, 05:35 PM
No info for you, but just wanted to make sure you guys get a light under yourselves. Currently, most school systems are in the process of finalizing their budgets. Without additional money for a new teacher, the chances are slim to nil. I would suggest getting on the next BoE agenda if you haven't done so already.

You're actually probably going to be fighting local and state level guidelines.

Good luck, without money, a lot of things just aren't going to happen unfortunately. While some will say money can't buy happiness, it does make the world go 'round.

MsMin
04-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I haven't fooled w/ it in a while but I used ERIC for an educational research database. It may be easy to find what you want to say in some articles but you know what they say about statistics you have to consider your controls.
A university library is best or one that has access to an educational research data base. Can you log onto a local university library database? Some allow guests and some limit it's use to students only (online).
Maybe a student around here can get you into the data base.
If you can't find anything easily let me know and I will check the LSU database for articles but I'm sure it could be a little more complex than student/teacher ratio / test scores.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Not sure where you could find official data, but wanted to say good luck on your endeavor!!! Have been teaching sixteen years, and I firmly believe this is the biggest step you can take to improve effective teaching. :wave::thumbsup:

Disney Doll
04-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I second the suggestion to use ERIC. I know they will have some good scholarly articles that you can use. You may not be able to access this database from your home computer unless you can log in as a student. However, I think any public university allows the public to use the library. If you actually went to the library, you would probably be able to access the ERIC from the library's computers. Also, be sure to ask the librarians. They are eager to help. Good luck!

Jasper
04-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I wish you luck in getting this done.

One of the things you did not mention in your post is if this is a public or a private school. The reason I mention this is that while it is tough to get more teachers in a public school it is even more difficult in a private school.

I would also suggest you check websites for your state school board or department or whatever they call it in your state. They may have links to data sites. You may also find on the state web site if your state has any rules about maximum class room size. While I can't qoute the numbers, I do know that here in Indiana the state mandates smaller class sizes starting in first grade and then allows them to grow as they get older.

alphamommy
04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
This is a public school. We know that we're in for an uphill battle, but figure that we need to give it a shot.

There is a contractural number for bumping to three classes of 53 students. We started this school year with 52, but they turned away three students who tried to enroll after mid-August. We've lost 2 students (families moved), so we need to replace them and have one more to automatically bump to a third classroom. The classes coming behind us are bigger - there are three kindergardens now, and will probably be that many next year, too.

Tammy