PDA

View Full Version : What's with the coffee situation at McDonald's

Marilyn Michetti
03-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't know where you live, but the newest thing in the Phoenix area is a sign in McDonald's lobby that says, "we will put the cream and sugar in your coffee". Dunkin Donuts has had that policy forever. WHY?? I like to fix my own coffee. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, and I'll get my sausage biscuit and coffee somewhere else.:drama:

Sunshine1010
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
They've had it in my town for a while .....and I live in a VERY small town.

I am guessing that they do it mainly for the drive-thru customers who want their coffee made 'to their liking' so they can get it, drive away and drink it....without having to stop and mix everything up.

Customers would be more apt to go there and get a biscuit and have their coffee made.

Again...I'm assuming.

Terra
03-31-2007, 09:18 PM
oh wow...I wonder if they do it at my local McD's....I haven't eaten there in ages...

When I worked at McD's 9 years ago we actually were not allowed to do that for "sanitary reasons" ... and people would get so mad when they would want it done..
although I have to admit for our "regular" customers" we would do it :)

I think it's really good for customer service to have the option...if you want to put it in there yourself, I would just tell them that...
I personally like to put it in myself!

Jeri
03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't like the idea either. I would rather make my own coffee. I never know how much sugar I may need till I taste it.

I am wondering how they can get everyone's coffee just right. It just is weird, I don't want someone I don't know adding stuff to my coffee.

kakn7294
03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
I want to add my own stuff. Usually use French Vanilla creamer but when that's not available, I use a lot of cream but no sugar. However, sometimes if the coffee is a bit more bitter than I like, I will add a little sugar so I want to do it myself. I don't want someone else doing it for me! I haven't been to a McDonald's in a few weeks, but they weren't doing that here last time I was there.

daparish
03-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Another vote for fixing my own coffee. I don't drink it very often but when I do I like lots of cream and equal.

BronxTigger
03-31-2007, 10:42 PM
They have been doing that for some time here in NYC. They have a dispenser behind the counter that they add the stuff for you.

I haven't had coffee at McDonald's. Ever. But it seems like people are okay with the way they are doing it now.

Marilyn Michetti
04-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Nope, this wasn't drive thru - it was at the counter.:(

JPL
04-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I don;t have a problem with it. I actually like it the MCDonald's i pass every morning see me coming and has my coffee ready before I even order it :thumbsup:

The Bookseller
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Wait a minute, they got Coffee at McDonald's? :D

merlinmagic4
04-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Our McDonalds has the same sign.

The coffee at McDonalds is actually very good now. I like it better than Dunkin Donuts (I don't like Starbucks at all). It is Green Mountain Coffee.....great company, great coffee :thumbsup:

DizNee143
04-01-2007, 11:39 AM
i personally dont see the big deal in this whole coffee thing...you dont want them to make your coffee for you..then dont tell them how you want it..and just do it yourself...some people like to have it made for them..its just easier......

BronxTigger
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
then dont tell them how you want it..and just do it yourself.

It appears that they have taken away the sugar and coffee things from the drink/condiment stations at the McDonald's where they fix it for you.

To the OP....keep your eyes open for a free coffee day. Shortly after they introduced this "new concept" in my area, they offered free coffee one day for people to try it out. Maybe they will do this in your area too and you can try it for no cost.

SBETigg
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I think it's fine and very convenient at times not to have to open the coffee and fix it, risk spilling it. Mostly for drive-thru situations. I prefer that they leave me the option. I usually have them cream it and put my own sweetener in. They give me the packets separately if I ask.

jillluvsdisney
04-01-2007, 06:18 PM
When MCDonald's changed their coffee awhile back to the "premium" variety they started adding cream and sugar. I like that they do this and I have always liked that Dunkin Donuts does it as well.

You can always order your coffee black and ask for cream and sugar on the side.

January-2007
04-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't drink coffee and I don't really eat at McDonalds but a few times a year, so this really doesn't affect me at all. However, the advertisements drive me up the wall. I'm listening to the radio and the ad comes on and it's like they're trying to be so upscale or something. Like it's such a huge favor they're doing by adding the stuff to your coffee. Seems strange to me. DH used to be a huge coffee drinker, and he thinks it's bizarre, so at least it's not just me. My parents always hated McDonald's coffee and would only get it on road trips to keep them awake. I can't imagine McDonalds being the new Starbucks, like you're going to make a special out of the way trip there just for their coffee. Then again, as I've said, I'm not a coffee drinker. :ack:

magicman
04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Could the reason be that McD thinks that the practice of not making cream/sugar readily accessible to the customers will reduce the amount of packets consumed/wasted at the store?

SurferStitch
04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Could the reason be that McD thinks that the practice of not making cream/sugar readily accessible to the customers will reduce the amount of packets consumed/wasted at the store?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I drink my coffee black, so I don't have to worry about getting the right cream/sugar mix.

I have to say that I don't like McD's coffee anymore. I've had it several times in the past few months, and it has a weird aftertaste. It's also kind of weak. I stick with Dunkin Donuts, Burger King and Starbucks now (especially Starbucks). I do get Gulliver's coffee at a local Sunoco station, and theirs is very good, too.

janebanks
04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
For the record, Dunkin Donuts and Burger King are my favorite fast food coffees, but there's no Dunkin Donuts here (that I know of) and BK isn't in a convenient location for me, so I get my fast food coffee at McD's.

I really like that they are willing to add my cream to my coffee at the drive-thru... I have spilled way too much cream and coffee in the car before this policy.:blush:

When I buy the coffee inside (rare), I prefer to fix it myself.

Mickey 101
04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't like McDonald's coffee. The 'premium' add-on cracks me up. It costs more and tastes very weak. :ack:

That said, I think the reason they fix it for you is to avoid more lawsuits. :D

SteveL
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I would be willing to bet that McD lost more money each year in wasted and pilferred coffee fixins than WDW would lose if they allowed unlimited refills on their mugs as long as you owned them.
Ever watch people squirrel away the Sweet N Low, sugar, and condiment packets in their pockets?

Granny Jill A
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I was stunned when my cup of coffee came "pre-creamed" for me. I won't order coffee there anymore for that reason. That's like the chef pre-salting your food before it comes out of the kitchen. Please........

magicman
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I would be willing to bet that McD lost more money each year in wasted and pilferred coffee fixins than WDW would lose if they allowed unlimited refills on their mugs as long as you owned them.
Ever watch people squirrel away the Sweet N Low, sugar, and condiment packets in their pockets?

I read that if McD is successful in reducing pilferred condiments using this new "doing it for you method", they are going to pilot/test the same concept & methodology in reducing their toilet paper consumption in their restrooms.:D

Marilyn Michetti
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I thought originlly that it would be because people "stock up", but they still have the ketchup packets, etc. out.

I've seen people take tons of straws, and enough paper napkins to clean their house, so it isn't just the food condiments.:confused: