PDA

View Full Version : Should I have fun or have surgery???

Christine
03-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Excuse me while I vent a little!

Well, here's my situation. I have planned to go to the Intercot 10th Anniversary in October. My AP will expire next month, so I need to renew it. My flight is paid for, so I just need some money for the room and spending (still, that adds up, right?)

Anyway, I have been having some gallbladder problems this year. I had to eat very carefully on my WDW trip earlier this month in order to avoid any painful attacks, which was NO FUN!

So I have a hyda scan scheduled for next month (this will check my gallbladder's function and indicate if it needs to be removed). Here's the catch...the hospital called me yesterday to go over my benefits. This stupid test (not even TALKING about the surgery) is going to be over $500 out of pocket! Well, there goes a big chunk of my WDW money!

So, I am having to make the decision between trying to stick it out & keep being really careful of what I eat and get through the INTERCOT weekend, or getting this seen about, and shoot for attending the 15th anniversary???

Two guesses as to what I want to do (and the first one doesn't count!):D

murphy1
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
My sister had gall bladder surgery 15 years ago and it was a great thing. She did not have any other problems after that. I will be down there in Oct. so I am really hoping we get to meet up! The girls would have a great time! Of course I have to get this biopsy in a couple of weeks and will then know if I need to schedule my surgery for cancer or shrink it with a possible surgery later on.

marlyn
03-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Coming from someone who had surgery a week ago...as much as it pains me to say it "Your health is more important than Disney".

Due to my surgery it is possible that I wilI be unable to go on my trip that I have already booked and paid for. I leave for WDW on April 19th. Unfortunately due to risk of cancer, the surgery was a must do. Now I wait to see if I can still go on my trip.

I will be extremely disappointed should Dr say I am not able to go. I have had a lot of time to think as I laid in bed all week...and if I am unable to go I will be ok. I will plan another trip.

We can always book another trip...we can't, however, get another body so we need to take care of the one we have.

I hope we can both take the trip we have planned. Best of luck to you!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I had to give you my opinion since I went through this in 1999.

First, not to scare you but, the Hyda scan stinks!!! Not painful, it just literally will put you into a gallbladder attack. It will mimic what you go through when you eat something that causes an attack. It only lasts a few seconds, but, my Dr did not tell me that. Thankfully, it is a very conclusive test that showed them without a doubt that my gallbladder was not functioning. Good luck with it. I know it was an important test.

The surgery was not bad, one night in the hospital. Three little incisions. I was back to feeling 100% by day 4. It it SO worth it. I can't tell you enough how much I wish I had not waited to do mine. I had just had a baby and dealt with it for 10 months after he was born. My DH finally forced me to go to the Dr.

I can go to any restaurant now and actually enjoy my meal without worrying that I am going to have an attack. Certain things will still cause problems, but, I know what those things are and I just avoid them. You still have to be careful even after you have the surgery.

As you can guess, I say have the surgery and get past this. Trust me, I know that stinks because you will have to miss your trip, but, your health is SO much more important.

And, just think, your next trip will be worry free!! :mickey: Good luck with whatever you decide.

kakn7294
03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Will your hospital take smaller payments so you don't have to shell it all out at once? Our local hospital will. Just call the billing department and ask - you should probably be able to inquire now, even before you have the testing and surgery done. You probably really should have the surgery although I know that's not what you want to hear - and not what I would want to do either. Good luck!

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I appreciate all your kind words and support. I will see what payment plans the hospital offers. Maybe if I get all this unpleasantness done, WDW in October could be my reward???

A year ago I wouldn't have thought another second about it...I would do the test, charge the money to the hospital and charge the trip!

But we have been on the Dave Ramsey financial plan to become completely debt free, and have commited to NOT charge a penny (and have succeeded in the more than 8 months we've been on it!)

Maybe I can get DH to take a second job temporarily to ensure we pay them both with cash...I'll run that past him and I am sure he'll jump at the idea!! :D

Donald A
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Will your hospital take smaller payments so you don't have to shell it all out at once? Our local hospital will. Just call the billing department and ask - you should probably be able to inquire now, even before you have the testing and surgery done. You probably really should have the surgery although I know that's not what you want to hear - and not what I would want to do either. Good luck!

As a physician, this is how I would look at it. I know my office likes to have the cash flow, but most people just don't have money sitting around. As long as people make payments (ie, $50 a month) we are happy with the effort. Perhaps your hospital will work with you or even let you set up payments at low interest.

That being said, you really should take care of this as you could get really sick. What if you have a flare up or huge problem at WDW. Talk about the headache and the "out-of-network" costs!

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Thank you Dr. Donald! I appreciate your advice! I am sure I will get this seen about...and will hope I can make October, too!

daparish
03-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Do you have to have the hyda scan? I had my gall bladder out and I did not have this. I went to the dr because I was having a little discomfort in the top of my stomach but no major pain. He pushed down and I saw stars. I also had a high temp and he did blood work in the office that showed infection. He sent me across the street to the hospital for an ultrasound and I was admitted. He would not even allow me to go down the street to Walmart to get contact solution. He said I was seriously sick and had to have an antibiotic drip asap and surgery in the morning. I could not believe all of this because I did not have really paid pain like most people. I say have the surgery before your trip. I think it can affect your pancreas if one of the stones get stuck in one of the duct's. (I am sure one of the rn's can better explain this). I would hate to see you go on vacation and have to have emergency surgery like I did.

Christine
03-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Yep, I do have to have the scan. Mine is not infected, just not functioning.

I had an ultrasound done to check for abnormal size (infection) and stones. Came back okay. Unfortunately, function doesn't show up any other way than the scan.

MsMin
03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here. I say get it over with- don't wait.
Many places don't want to but do allow the payment plan.. I hope things work out for you and you are up and ready to enjoy WDW in Oct. maybe even have a turkey leg (or something else quite greasy:blush: )

merlinmagic4
04-01-2007, 06:34 AM
So, what did they do before they had the scan? If your gallbladder is clearly causing you trouble I'm not sure why they are making you pay out of pocket for a 500.00 test. I'm not sure I get that :confused:

Anyway, I'd love to see you get the surgery over with now and enjoy WDW in October, pain free. I'm sure the hospital has a payment plan - check it out! And, I'm sorry you have to pay for it out of pocket. I don't think that's fair at all.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

mrsgaribaldi
04-01-2007, 07:25 AM
If you have to watch what you eat so much then it seems pretty obvious that you need the gallbladder removed. Why do they have to do an expensive test to confirm this? Tell them just to remove it and skip the test. Where I work they would just do a sonogram. Good luck:thumbsup: I hope it works out and you can have both:mickey:

Christine
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
So, what did they do before they had the scan? If your gallbladder is clearly causing you trouble I'm not sure why they are making you pay out of pocket for a 500.00 test. I'm not sure I get that :confused:

Anyway, I'd love to see you get the surgery over with now and enjoy WDW in October, pain free. I'm sure the hospital has a payment plan - check it out! And, I'm sorry you have to pay for it out of pocket. I don't think that's fair at all.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Sadly, I am not paying the entire test out of pocket... the $500 is my part AFTER insurance pays their part! Isn't that unreal?

If you have to watch what you eat so much then it seems pretty obvious that you need the gallbladder removed. Why do they have to do an expensive test to confirm this? Tell them just to remove it and skip the test. Where I work they would just do a sonogram. Good luck:thumbsup: I hope it works out and you can have both:mickey:

I told my Dr. I would just rather skip the test and go straight to the surgery. He said my insurance won't cover the surgery without the test, b/c it would be considered "unnecessary" or "elective" (they want the results from the scan to prove that it is truly not functioning).

Ahhh, the wonderful world of health insurance and health care! But that's whole different thread entirely, isn't it???

BronxTigger
04-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I have a friend who got her gallbladder removed. She is fine now.

There's a lady at work who had hers removed also (different person) and she ended up having to take a month off of work because she got some infections afterward. (I think she has other health problems besides the gallbladder).

So, the recovery period seems to be quite short, and both people I know who had it done are happy with it.

So...the only reason you're not doing it is because of finances? Can you get a second opinion at another hospital/doctor? What about a payment plan of some sort like someone else suggested. Too bad you can't get a new insurance company that is actually decent.

I'd love to meet you at the Intercot Party, but your health is more important. Good luck with your decision.

Christine
04-01-2007, 10:48 AM
So...the only reason you're not doing it is because of finances? Can you get a second opinion at another hospital/doctor? What about a payment plan of some sort like someone else suggested. Too bad you can't get a new insurance company that is actually decent.

I'd love to meet you at the Intercot Party, but your health is more important. Good luck with your decision.

Well, I was just wanting to WAIT until after the Intercot party in October before I did it...before I spent all my WDW money on this doctor stuff. Real grown up and responsible, I know! :blush:

I am with Blue Cross Blue Shield through my DH employer, and I only have one choice of hospital I can go to. They said their pmt policy is 1/2 down the day of procedure, 1/2 due in 30 days. Then I shudder to think what my OOP costs on the surgery will be, if I have to have that!

I know what my decision will have to be. To go ahead and get this done, and if I don't have the finances to go to WDW in Oct, so be it. I just don't like it and had to "fuss" a little :blush: :(

But you never know...maybe something will come about and I will get to go after all! Now where'd that lottery ticket go...:D

Bethanymouse
04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Can you start saving spare change? That really adds up you know! My mom just had her gall bladder out Friday. It definately needed to come out. After seeing the gall bladder (the doc cut it open and took pics so we could see) it was filled with stones. She was in a lot of pain and the doc was glad she got it out when she did. I say get the operation done. As was said before, your health is more important. See if you can save save save and still get the surgery done....unfortunately I think that is the way to go!:ill:

SodaPopMGK
04-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm glad you are going with the test, I had the same thing however, my ultrasound and funciton test both showed my gall bladder to be fine. Luckily for me my surgeon was sure it was my gall bladder and removed it, the stones were all imbedded in the wall of the gall bladder. I wish you luck, it was an easy surgery and my doctor told my to walk, walk, walk and I can tell you it definitely helped me have a speedy recovery.

ElenitaB
04-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I told my Dr. I would just rather skip the test and go straight to the surgery. He said my insurance won't cover the surgery without the test, b/c it would be considered "unnecessary" or "elective" (they want the results from the scan to prove that it is truly not functioning).
What a Catch 22! That is craziness!

Christine, I want so much to meet you in October but your health really is the most important thing you have. After all, trips to WDW are there whenever we wish to go; unfortunately, our bodies are "one use only." Take care of yourself first, please!

Dsnygirl
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I know what my decision will have to be. To go ahead and get this done, and if I don't have the finances to go to WDW in Oct, so be it. I just don't like it and had to "fuss" a little

But you never know...maybe something will come about and I will get to go after all! Now where'd that lottery ticket go...

Oh Christine, I hope you find that lottery ticket... I'd just love to meet you in Oct! But like Ellen said, your health comes first - you're doing the right thing - I just hope you're able to take care of yourself and then find the extra $$ to come down for the party. We, too, are squeezing our $$ together for the trip... I'm saving all our change and any extra $$ that comes in!! Just love having the Disney jar back out on the counter... :D Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Here we go again...
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a friend that tried to put her gall bladder surgery off... then ended up having emergency surgery because a stone got stuck in a bile duct. (I think that is what it is called) anyway, we thought we were going to lose her. Please do not wait.

Here is something else to consider:
We have a local hospital, Or Lady of Lourdes, that allows patients to pay of their bill in blood.
They ask friends and family to donate blood at the hospital in the name of the patient and they deduct about $30 a pint off the bill. That is a win-win situation.

Check in to it and good luck.