PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

NotaGeek
03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I saw the trailer today and WOW it looks amazing! I have been a fan since the 1st film and the 5th installment looks just as good! I have found some good links for teasers, stills from the film and also a way to see the film's trailer. You can get all the options by going to the official site (you can even watch the trailer in HD on Yahoo! (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix.html)):

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix (http://www.harrypotterorderofthephoenix.com/)

or for a more interactive site with games and other cool stuff:

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix Site 2 (http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/)

July 13, 2007 seems SO far away! And YES ... it's Friday the 13th!

dumbo ears
03-31-2007, 02:36 PM
i cant wait for the movie to come out

PirateLover
03-31-2007, 04:13 PM
There is a great article in Entertainment Weekly about the movie. It includes some candid comments from all of the actors and interesting anecdotes, as well as 50 question quiz to prove you're a true Potter freak. This is going to be a great summer for Potter fans with the new movie and the last book being released so close together.

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been wondering when that would be out!

I can't wait! A new (Final :( ) book and new movie all in the same month!:party: :party: :party:

NotaGeek
03-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been wondering when that would be out!

I can't wait! A new (Final :( ) book and new movie all in the same month!:party: :party: :party:

My pleasure! :yay:

conorsmom2000
04-01-2007, 09:23 AM
There is a great article in Entertainment Weekly about the movie. It includes some candid comments from all of the actors and interesting anecdotes, as well as 50 question quiz to prove you're a true Potter freak.
I was just coming here to post about the EW article! :D I just read about it on one of my HP sites - there's also another magazine "Movie Magic" dedicated to the film but I'm not sure if it's a UK publication.

I really can't wait for this movie to come out, though I'm a little bit more excited for the book! :thumbsup: :mickey:

disneyfan1124
04-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Great! Thanks for sharing! I was just discussing with our friends last night and we had little to no information!

I can hardly wait!

murphy1
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks!! I can't wait for it and Pirates! Looks like a good summer for movies at least. I have only read three of the books. I am happy they have been able to retain the cast for so long.

threeh
04-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I can't wait for the summer of Harry Potter!! First the movie then book 7. WOO HOO!!!:thumbsup:

mtown71
04-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I can't wait for the summer of Harry Potter!! First the movie then book 7. WOO HOO!!!:thumbsup:

I feel the same way. I am a little sad that it will be the last book though.

Thanks for all the tips about websites. I will have to check them out.

CapeCodTigger
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I was wondering if there are any Harry Potter fans on these here boards? I just wanted to get a discussion going on what you guys are planning anything for the release of the last book? I'm going to get my book and then sit on the back deck and read all weekend. I'm going to make sure I have plenty of snacks and cold drinks. I might even take it to the beach...haven't decided that one yet. There are a few co-workers of mine that are planning on reading it the whole weekend, and I don't want to be the only one who hasn't read it by that Monday. Oh, man, I'm so looking forward to this book.

Also, what do you guys think about Snape? Is he good or bad? I think he's good. I think he and Dumbledoor planned this whole thing. I also think Harry will go back to Hogwarts in the fall. With Dumbledoor gone he's lost that support. However, Dumbledoor is in the painting at Hogwarts, and I think Professor McGonagll will allow Harry to see the painting of Dumbledoor quite often. So what do you guys think?

And just to tease everyone, here's the movie trailer: http://harrypotter.warnerbros.co.uk/site/index.html

mtown71
05-15-2007, 02:50 PM
:here: I'm a fan of Harry Potter!!! I so can't wait for the movie & the book to come out. I doubt I will get a lot of time to devote to reading the book due to work but I will give it my best shot.
I don't know what to think about Snape. Everything you said makes sense. Who do you think will die in the book? Do you think Harry will die? I think Ron & Hermione may get killed off. I don't know why I think that way...just a gut feeling.

TigChatt
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Your ideas on the book really made me think. It could be possible. Snape, I'm still not to sure of. I dont know whether to like him or not. I hope that Harry doesnt die, but I just dont know how she's going to stop writing about him without it happening. KWIM? I think Ron and Hermione will end up together. I hope that she will right a summary to what happens to them AFTER Hogwarts. As in like Ron and Hermione are still together with 4 kids. Something like that but about everyone in the books that doesnt get killed off. I want to have the book finished before Mon too because something always leaks, and I want to know about it already before it happens.

MsMin
05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
We usually have an HP diet here when a new book comes out. We don't read more than 2 or 3 chapters a day to make it last. Didn't she say she writes a summary at the end of this book???
I can see Snape dying and maybe dying trying to help Harry-- he does owe his father and did betray the potter's by turning them over to Voldemort.
I often think that maybe Ron would die before Hermione. If Harry dies then evil will prevail.
Since the name of the book is deadly Hallows then I wonder since his parents were killed on Halloween will something happen then and then he goes back to finish his last year. I can't wait....
I love the movies too, watching it on the big screen is always fun.

jefmblrd
05-24-2007, 11:04 AM
My feeling is that Snape is a good guy and was following Dumbledore's orders in the last book. I also think that Snape will die-somehow in defense of Harry. Harry will defeat LV, but only after a long struggle. I know there has been talk that a main character dies, but I'd be really surprised if one of the three main kids is one of them. I hope it's not Hagrid; I thought he might die at the end of the last book when he was chasing after Snape and the others, and they were firing spells at him-I'm so glad he lived. I'm also intrigued to find out who R.E.B. (from the note in the Horcrux) is. Could it be Sirius's brother...Regulis? (I'm not sure of the spelling of that name.)All of this is merely speculation, but it's fun to think and talk about isn't it?

conorsmom2000
05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm excited about the movie, but I really can't wait for the book!

I do plan on going to one of the midnight release parties - I was supposed to take my niece to one for the release of HBP, but I ended up in the hospital. :( My niece still went with my SIL and they got a copy of the book to my husband, who got it to me in the hospital at 7 am - the Dr's were all impressed that I had a copy so fast! :D

So, since this is the last book, I want to really do it right - the midnight relase party, then home to a chair by the pool to just read until it's done! I keep joking (sort of! :blush: ) to Mike that he and Conor should go on a boys camping trip that weekend as I'm going to have my nose buried in the book.

I'm still up in the air on Snape - if he turns out to be good, then JKR is even a better writer than I already think she is - he just comes across as so evil, it's hard for me to believe he might be good.

As for R.E.B., most of the websites think it is Sirius' brother, Regulis.

I'm also still unsure as to whether Harry will live or not (and I don't mean that LV will live - I mean that they both might die)....I just think that, as a way to end it, JKR has Harry as the tragic hero, who saved so many others; as opposed to "Harry defeated LV and lived happily ever after...." I hope I'm wrong - I don't want to see any of the main characters (aside from LV) be killed off.

It won't be long before we find out all the answers! :thumbsup:

kaerbear178
05-27-2007, 12:27 PM
IMAX just came out with a new smaller screen that regular movie theaters can put in without building the dome. The theater 5 min from my house put in the very first one in the nation. We will be gettting Harry Potter in 3D! I can't wait!!!!

sunlyon
05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
What I can't wait to see in the upcoming book is whether Harry returns to Hogwarts. Remember at the end of the Half-Blood Prince he breaks up with Ginny and tells them he won't be returning, that he has another mission. In order to kill He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named he needs to track down and destroy the rest of the Horcruxes in this next book. He won't have much time for schooling...

Just as an aside, Voldemort translated from French would be "Flight of Death", Malfoy could be translated as "Bad Faith"

Namine'
05-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I can't wait to see the movie!
I already ordered the book can"t wait to read it.:thumbsup:

SallyfromDE
05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
I love the HP series. I didn't read the books or even see the first movie until it came out on video. I thought the movie was good, and wanted to see how it differed from the book. That is when I got hooked!!

I think that Snape is on the good side to. That he was going by Dumbledores wishes. ProfD probably thought he could help HP more from the "otherside" so to speak. I think that even tho' ProfD is gone, his story isn't over with yet.

Now here is where I get torn. Rowling has said that she wants to end the story so no one can in the furture, continue the story. Like they tried with Gone with the Wind. That a main character will die. Is that Harry? But then evil will prevail. Also, since LV had been able to come back to life, what would be to stop HP or any other witch or wizard to do the same?

What I'd like to see, is the story leading up to HP, his parents story. But I guess that would be too much in line with the Star War movies.

WDWfanatic742
06-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Harry Potter' Film to Open 2 Days Early
Thursday May 31 7:19 PM ET

Good news for Harry Potter fans marking off the days before the release of the boy wizard's next movie.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth movie based on the best-selling books, will open in U.S. theaters July 11, two days earlier than previously scheduled.

Warner Bros., which is distributing the film, gave no explanation for the change.

The world premiere of the movie, directed by David Yates, will be held June 28 in Tokyo, followed by a London premiere July 3.

The film franchise is based on the best-selling novels by J.K. Rowling.

The seventh and final book in the series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," is still scheduled for release July 21.

PinkJJ
06-01-2007, 11:06 PM
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth movie based on the best-selling books, will open in U.S. theaters July 11, two days earlier than previously scheduled.

Thank you David, I am so excited for the movie to come out, but I have to say I am more excited for the final book.

For those of you who enjoy the movies and haven't yet read the books, you are missing out, big time. The movies are great, don't get me wrong, but the books are genius. You don't get all the story from the movies. They couldn't possible fit it all in. So if you truely want to read a great story that takes you to another world, read the books. They are imaginative, charming, adventurous, suspenseful, and completely wonderful. J. K. Rowling is brilliant.

mtown71
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I am so excited about the movie coming out. I have re-read all of the books & will probably do a movie marathon just to make sure I am up-to-date on what happens.
I just wish the book release would hurry up & get here.

DisneyDog
06-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I can't wait to learn more about Aunt Petunia. JKR said there is more to her than meets the eye, and I think she will be featured in the last book. I believe she knows more about the wizarding world than she claims, and that she was hiding it from Harry's uncle. After all, her sister was a witch.

conorsmom2000
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
What I can't wait to see in the upcoming book is whether Harry returns to Hogwarts. Remember at the end of the Half-Blood Prince he breaks up with Ginny and tells them he won't be returning, that he has another mission.

It will be interesting to see a book 7 with possibly no Hogwarts! But, that's how they made it sound at the end of Book 6 - they wouldn't be returning (though, I assume Ginny would have to....)

I Now here is where I get torn. Rowling has said that she wants to end the story so no one can in the furture, continue the story.... Is that Harry? But then evil will prevail.

I'm torn on Harry dying too - but, I don't think that if he does, it means LV will live - I think it means they would both die - LV finally getting his due, and Harry in some tragic hero kind of way.... :confused:

Also, since LV had been able to come back to life, what would be to stop HP or any other witch or wizard to do the same?

Well, don't forget - to come back like LV did, a witch or wizard would have to commit a murder and hide a piece of their soul in something - from what I remember, not only is that very difficult magic, but if you remember, it was hard for Tom Riddle to even find out how to do it - it's not really talked about or written about. So, while it's possible that someone else could do it, I don't know if it would be that easy.

For those of you who enjoy the movies and haven't yet read the books, you are missing out, big time. The movies are great, don't get me wrong, but the books are genius. You don't get all the story from the movies. They couldn't possible fit it all in. So if you truely want to read a great story that takes you to another world, read the books. They are imaginative, charming, adventurous, suspenseful, and completely wonderful. J. K. Rowling is brilliant.

I agree! :thumbsup: I like the movies, but I love the books - there is so much more to the story and JKR has such a great style of writing - and a great wit, which doesn't always come across in the movies - some of the best lines aren't in them! :D

PinkJJ
06-16-2007, 03:19 AM
I agree! :thumbsup: I like the movies, but I love the books - there is so much more to the story and JKR has such a great style of writing - and a great wit, which doesn't always come across in the movies - some of the best lines aren't in them! :D

So true! JKR does give the characters some great lines that sadly, they have left out of the movies. I love her wit! I also love the names she gives people and things, like Professor Sprout the herbology teacher. Very charming!

NotaGeek
06-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I saw the new trailer today while I was watching Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer ... WOW I can't wait for this movie!

brewcrew26
06-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I bought my tickets yesterday for the midnight showing at the brand-new Ultrascreen in the Milwaukee-area. I'm so psyched!!!

That and the book in a week, I'm going to be in HP overload in July!! :party:

wantthreewishes
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
My brother and sister have both taken vacations for both the book and movie release!:mickey:

Dopey's Girl
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I just got my imax tickets...I can't wait to see the 3-d portions!! Too cool!

I also have spent the last 3 weeks or so rereading the books (I read pretty fast) and have a whole new set of questions, I can't wait for answers for from book 7!

NotaGeek
07-05-2007, 01:40 AM
It's SO close I can't take it! Early reviews are mixed, I am kind of nervous about the movie now!

PirateLover
07-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm nervous too because this summer had the 3 movies I was most looking forward to and so far I haven't been satisfied.
Spider-Man 3- Really huge let down for me the more I thought about it and watched the first two films. I'm honestly ready for it to be re-cast at this point

PoTC3- Greatly enjoyed it, but it fell a little short for me. I was among those who were obsessed with the 2nd film. Saw it 4 times in the theater. Only ended up seeing this one twice.

For me the HP films have become increasingly more enjoyable which is weird because the farther we get in the series, the longer the books get and the more that needs to be chopped out. But I found the first 2 movies, while faithful to the book, were quite drab, whereas 3 and 4 were cinematic wonders and entertained even those who hadn't read the books (like my boyfriend).
Then again, Transformers was getting some negative reviews and now they seemed to have turned to positive and everyone on intercot seems to like it. Maybe I'll let my boyfriend drag me to see that and I'll drag him to see HP. :)

bicker
07-05-2007, 07:25 AM
My wife and I are playing hooky from work Friday afternoon after the release, to catch the show at the IMAX theater. :)

NotaGeek
07-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Anyone going to the midnight showing on Wednesday?

fig's disney
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Woo hoo...tickets to the midnight showing right here!!!!!!!!!!!

2hr 38min 25 sec.....and counting

fig's disney
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
wow....that was fun last night

the movie was great (the best one so far)...though the story was rearranged in some parts the movie flew by...cinematography was new and fresh...but there was no closed locket shown anywhere...can't wait for book 7!!!

Jeff
07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
My daughter and I saw it last night at midnight also. I thought it was a very good movie; I liked the look of it, the story moved fast, the wizard battle scenes were just WOW!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My daughter, who had just reread the book, didn't like it so much. She was upset that parts of the story were "rearranged and out of order" and that so many parts were left out.

brewcrew26
07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
wow....that was fun last night

the movie was great (the best one so far)...though the story was rearranged in some parts the movie flew by...cinematography was new and fresh...but there was no closed locket shown anywhere...can't wait for book 7!!!

For fans who have only seen the movies, it is bearable. But, for fans of the books, it is VERY disappointing.

I expected so much more from this movie. I've been waiting all summer! (I even had the chance to interview Ron, Ginny, Neville, and Cho for my job earlier this year...) I found it so hard to garner a tear in the last scene. They left WAY too much out of the film (like you said, no locket). And the parts that were in, were jumpy and awkward.

For instance, you see Percy Weasley working for Fudge, but he doesn't even say a word. The flashback with the young James, Snape, Sirius, et al...comes out to about 15 seconds and is confusing if you haven't read the book.

My fiance and I walked out of the theatre actually wanting our money back. I have never felt that way about a film before (wait, strike that -- Event Horizon...).

I'm very worried about Half-Blood Prince now. With how they handled the culminating scene (while parts in the Ministry of Magic were shot in an amazing fashion), I don't know if the emotion will be there for Film 6.

ChipnDaleGal
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do think that those of us that love the books have to "forgive" the movies. JK writes such beautifully detailed, long tales, that there is no way in the world that all of the details we want can get into the movies. We just have to hope that they get the "meat and potatos" of the story and we fill in the blanks ourselves. I try to enjoy seeing the books come to life on the screen and not worry about what is missing. They do such a fantastic job of casting these films that it feels like the characters walk right out of the books. That in itself is worth the price of admission for me.

conorsmom2000
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do think that those of us that love the books have to "forgive" the movies. JK writes such beautifully detailed, long tales, that there is no way in the world that all of the details we want can get into the movies. We just have to hope that they get the "meat and potatos" of the story and we fill in the blanks ourselves. I try to enjoy seeing the books come to life on the screen and not worry about what is missing. They do such a fantastic job of casting these films that it feels like the characters walk right out of the books. That in itself is worth the price of admission for me.

I agree and was about to post the same thing! :mickey: I am a total fan of the books, borderline HP geek, but I take the movies with a grain of salt - the books are for the book fans, but the movies have to appeal to a wider audience, and ones that may never pick up the book. JK Rowling is a brilliant, clever writer and the OoTP is over 800 pages - there is no way that could be easily translated to a movie. So, I try to go in knowing not to expect to see it exactly like the book, but just an experience that makes the characters seem a little more real.

I love reading everyone's reviews, though - we probably won't go to see it until this weekend and I can't wait! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Jeff
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do think that those of us that love the books have to "forgive" the movies. They do such a fantastic job of casting these films that it feels like the characters walk right out of the books. That in itself is worth the price of admission for me.

I agree. Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood is fantastic and a real scene stealer. Imelda Staunton / Dolores Umbridge is also very good. As usual, the Phleps / Weasley twins are also great!

dlpmikki
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
We discovered today that we are finally getting a cinema opening near us - tomorrow! Their first film is going to be the HP one and Die Hard 4. Guess which one is tempting me to go visit? :secret:

TiggeRia
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Let it be known that I am quite the HP nerd-:secret:-I have read the books about 20 times each (not exaggerating...) and have a whole bookshelf dedicated to my HP collection of books and noble collection items, etc... I like to feel that I am pretty knowledgeable about the series. I went into this movie knowing that it would be different from the series with scenes missing and out of order. I just returned from the movie, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Luna Lovegood and Dolores Umbridge were perfectly cast. All of the characters were great, and Daniel Radcliffe has come so far in his acting abilities since the first movie. I did not find it to be too dark and sinister. Yes, it was darker than the other movies, but that's the way the book is. Plus they added in several comedic moments to help lighten it up. There were a few scenes that I wish they had put in, but I realize they can only work with so much of the material to fit it into the time frame. Overall I really enjoyed it and now I can't wait for the next book and the following movies!!!!!

brewcrew26
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I feel guilty that I didn't enjoy the movie at all amid fans who've read the book.

I think Dan was great. He really is a superb actor and can hold is own as a leading role. Evanna was perfectly cast as Luna, as was Imelda as Umbridge.

I loved how Grawp looked in the CGI "soul capturing." And I found it really cute when he gave Hermione the bicycle bell.

I also found it very amusing to see the "extendable ears" from Fred and George and have a little furry friend run off with them. Very funny.

But, it really came down to that final scene. Compared to number 4, that last scene between Bellatrix and Sirius should have been one of the most emotionally heavy experiences for Harry and I just don't think they did it justice in the roughly 15 seconds of silence and slow motion.

Then, for them to remove the part of the book where Harry's frustration and disdain comes out in Dumbledore's office -- that was just inexcusably. I was almost furious at Dumbledore when I read it and for Yates to take that out and fill it with "well, at least you have someone to love you" speech again...it was just so disappointing it ruined the rest of the highlights of the film for me.

I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to movies based on books and understand about time limitations, people who haven't read the books, etc. But this was such a scarce skeleton of the book that I think it may be hard to recover with the next two films to finish the series off.

TinkInTraining
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, I'm so happy I'm not the only one who was sorely disappointed in the movie. I love the books and was so disappointed in what they put in and left out in OoP.

For the longest of the 5 books it was the shortest of the 5 movies...they left out such pivotal stuff that it will be hard to recover in the next couple of movies...not only that, some of the biggest characters were seen scarcely if not hardly at all...some weren't even given speaking lines...wow. I was very disappointed.

If you're not a Harry Potter fan (book fan) then the movie is a great spectacle but if you familiar with the books it was a great disappointment. DD 13 and I are big fans of the books and both left the theater feeling robbed, my other 2 DD's 10 and 8 have not read all the books and thought it was the best of the series of movies yet so I guess it's all in where you're coming from...

NotaGeek
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I loved the movie, and I was thrilled to see the darker side of the story coming out successfully.

I understand the frustration book fans have when the movie isn't portraye word for word on the screen, but there is a need to separate yourself and enjoy the movies for what they are. It's impossible to do what you guys want ... screen plays are ALWAYS different to allow a movie that isn't 5.5 hours long and flows with the story. It's like a Reader's Digest version on film.

J.K. Rowling does sign off on every screen play and I really believe the Director does as good a job as possible considering the excruciating details that the author ncludes in her books. The books allow one's imagination to run wild and with her amazing style we have a completely different view of whats happening, there is no way to portray your imagination on the big screen.

chrisb26
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I like many have read all the Harry Potter books and have always and will probably always enjoy the books much more then the movie. However this is usually true for any book that is made into a movie. I fully understand why they can't add every detail of the book into the move because we would have a five-hour movie, which would be way to long. However I do feel they leave out things in the movie that I think they really should have added. They barely talked about the order in this movie and the headquarters, which played a big part in the book, was barely even seen. We never even saw Sirius' mother in the picture and I was really hoping to see that. :( It also seems like they have turned Neville into Dobby. In the past two movies Neville has done what Dobby had done in the book. In the last movie he gave Harry the Seaweed and in this he found the room of requirement. I was disappointed by that. I was glad that Kreacher was in the movie although I think I heard the only reason for that was because J.K. Rowling told them he needed to be in the movie because he played a role in the 7th book. I was also sad that some of my favorite characters where barely even seen in the movie. I also was mad that they took out the part when Harry tore apart Dumbledore’s office. All Harry did in the movie was yell that made me mad. Hagrid played a very short part in this movie and he has always been one of my favorite characters. The characters they did show however were great I loved the character of Umbridge in this movie she was so evil and she just made me laugh always dressed so Pink. Also liked all those cat plates on her walls those made me laugh every time I saw them. I also liked Luna Lovegood in this movie the parts they showed of her where good. They did take a lot away from her role in the book.

The CGI was great I loved Gwarp and the things that carried the carriages looked amazing. I also liked the new look of the dementors in this movie when you could actually see their heads they looked great.

The final scene was amazing I loved the fight they showed it was probably my favorite part of the entire movie. Probably the best line of the movie came when Fudge runs in after the fight and sees Voldemort and says "He's back" the way he says it was just so funny.

Overall this was a pretty good movie I was mad they took so much out from the book however I do understand. Some parts of the movie to me seemed like if you hadn't read the book you wouldn't fully understand what was happening. However if you never read the book you will probably love this movie more then those that read the book. My friend read her first Harry Potter book a few months ago and it was the Order of the Phoenix the last movie she really loved and didn't understand what I was talking about with them leaving so much out so when we saw this movie she finally understood however we still loved the movie and would recommend watching it.

Now I can't wait for the 7th and final book to come out in a couple weeks!

ChipnDaleGal
07-13-2007, 05:35 AM
I was really happy to see that this movie had the biggest opening Wednesday box office for any movie, ever. That is saying something about the love of the Harry Potter franchise, because most blockbuster movies seem to open on Wednesdays now. Go Harry and Company!! :thumbsup:

bicker
07-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Some elements were removed from the story in the original screenplay but Rowling went to the producers and had them put those elements back. The film contains all the elements of the story that Rowling felt were necessary. That's good enough for me.

PirateLover
07-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Usually I'm a midnighter or first day viewer of movies I've been waiting for. Unfortunately I've been exhausted this week and wasn't able to make it out with my girlfriends for the midnight show, so I'm waiting for my bf's back to get better and go see it with him. He's aiming for sunday. If not I may just see it myself. I just wanted to chime in and agree that the movies are in no way comparable to the books. There have been times when I've gotten a bit ticked... but I've come to just appreciate the cinematography and general feeling of the movies. I also am not one of those people who re-read the book right before the movie because I DON'T want to realize every little mistake, lol. If JK signed off on it then it means that all the important aspects are there. And also, by not trying to cram in every little scene it still leaves something to the imagination. Looking forward to seeing it. Although I find it very disturbing that Dan Radcliffe has now become a real heart breaker. My my how kids grow up, lol.

ChipnDaleGal
07-15-2007, 08:17 AM
My daughter, her best friend and I saw it yesterday and we all just loved it! I loved Luna, what a great little actress they picked for that role. At first Umbridge was a distraction for me because she didn't look like I had imagined, but she was perfectly cast as well. I hated her just as much in the movie as I had in the book. I thought the movie did a very good job of capturing the darker side of Book Five. And even though he didn't have a lot of screen time, I thought Alan Rickman was amazing again as Snape. His voice makes me melt.

conorsmom2000
07-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, we saw the movie last night and loved it - it was very well done! Yes, some of the things changed and many things were left out, but overall, they did a great job in getting to the basic heart of the book. I loved Emma Lynch as Luna - that was perfectly cast. Mike, who's never read the books, did feel the movie jumped around a bit and he had some questions for me at the end! :D But, he loved the special effects and thought the battle in the ministry was cool. Overall, we both really enjoyed it. And Donna, I agree with you about Alan Rickman's voice!! :blush:

As a side note, we went to see it at a new 16 AMC megaplex that opened up at a mall near us - this was my first experience with stadium seating - boy, what a difference compared to our little town movie theater! I'm only 5' 2 1/2" and always got the tall person in front of me - this time, it didn't matter who sat in front of you - you could see perfectly! And you didn't have to pull your feet up to your seat to let someone get past you! And the screen was huge - it was an awesome way to watch this movie! :thumbsup:

PirateLover
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Well I just got back from seeing it alone at the theater down the street from me. Not usually my first choice of theater but it was a last minute decision and I didn't feel like driving.

Aside from the baby who's ignorant parents decided to bring her to an 8:30 screening of a PG-13 movie that won't let out until 11:00pm and screamed/cried/yelped at the most inconvenient parts of the movie, I really really liked it.

Was it rushed a bit, sure. But I felt it captured the essence of the book and I really feel like Dan Radcliffe is starting to truly become Harry. He has come a long way and I'm looking forward to what he does with the character in the next two movies. Will definitely have to see this one again, at a nicer theater (and hopefully without additional soundtrack provided by babies)

bicker
07-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Aside from the baby who's ignorant parents decided to bring her to an 8:30 screening of a PG-13 movie that won't let out until 11:00pm and screamed/cried/yelped at the most inconvenient parts of the movie, I really really liked it.That's another advantage of the IMAX theaters: They charge admission for everyone, including babies, and admission is high enough that very few people will waste the money to bring babies who won't appreciate the film.

alphamommy
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
DH and I saw the movie yesterday. I have read the books, he stopped after book 2 (don't ask me why :confused: ).

Overall I thought it was good, but I was disappointed that they left out what a lot. I strongly felt that they should have shown Harry coming unhinged in DD's office, mainly as foreshadowing for the end of the next book.

<snip>
The final scene was amazing I loved the fight they showed it was probably my favorite part of the entire movie. Probably the best line of the movie came when Fudge runs in after the fight and sees Voldemort and says "He's back" the way he says it was just so funny.
<snip>

When Fudge said this, a lady a few seats down from me said, "Duh!" That made the line even better!

Can't wait until Saturday!

PirateLover
07-16-2007, 08:38 AM
That's another advantage of the IMAX theaters: They charge admission for everyone, including babies, and admission is high enough that very few people will waste the money to bring babies who won't appreciate the film.

Yes I think we are driving to the closest IMAX for the next viewing. That theater is so much nicer.

murphy1
07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I did this one backwards, I have read up to Book 4 and I haven't had a chance to read Book 5, but really wanted to see the movie, so I have ordered 5 and 6 from the library and hope NOT to find out what's up in 7. I thought the 4th movie was the darkest so far. I didn't think 5 was as dark. I'm really curious to see who they cast next time. I wish Colin Firth was in one of these, love him.

mouseaddict
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I was afraid to go and see this one because book 5 is my fave so far....but I went in with an open mind.
I actually really enjoyed it! I think that they captured the idea of the book and all of the most important points were made. A few others have said..Rowling had a say in the movies and was happy with what was there. I agree that the huge scene in Dumbledore's office should have been in..and I still am not sold on Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...overall this was a great movie.
I like the scene with Luna at the end talking about things that we lose.....and after watching Alan Rickman (yummy) I think I have made up my mind in the Snape good/bad debate! (apparently he knows what Snake turns out to be)
4 more days!

SallyfromDE
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I finally got to go see it last night. The theatre was packed, and it wasn't one of those little multi theatres either. The movie could have easily been an hour longer. Pirates was 3 hours. I was disappointed in the scene where Sirius died. In the book, I balled. In the movie, it went so fast there was no feeling to it. I loved Luna. I usually read the book before I go, but I didn't get to this time. I'll have to try and get it read before the new one comes out.

SBETigg
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm a huge fan of the books and I still really loved the movie. I understand that it can't be quite the same from print to screen. With the time constraints, and the fact that a lot of the audience doesn't know the book, to have it translate to a solid storyline with major plot elements in place is quite a feat. I was completely entertained and not let down at all. Yes, some things weren't quite the same, but where words were left out, actors filled in the complex emotions, often more with glance and gesture than with dialogue. Fantastic!

SallyfromDE
07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
My sister saw the movie with me. Actually she won tickets from our local radio station and took her daughter (a harry fan) and me. She had never watched any of the other movies. She said she really enjoyed it, but didn't understand who the characters were except for Harry.

MaryBelle
07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Another HUGE book fan here, and I liked the movie as well. I wish the Dumbledore office scene was in there, and would have liked more Tonks and Lupin as well. I'm also disappointed that the mirror from Sirius was left out, I wonder what that means for the books...

I also read that JK told them to include Kreacher and I have my own suspicions about that as well.

I do feel that a mere 20-25 more minutes would have made a HUGE difference, but I liked it better than Goblet...I found it to be less choppy as a film, although I liked book 4 more than 5.

Finally, I think the big death scene was not as dramatic as I would have thought/liked, but it was ok.

The movie gets a thumbs up from me (it was no Azkaban though), but at the same time it made me realize just how much more I appreciate the books

hokies4life
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I was also disappointed about certain things that were left out of the movie that I felt were important with the book. I know JKR went over the screenplay but it is still disappointing. The cinematography of the movie was amazing and if I have a chance to see it again I probably will, but I had a long list of things that i missed not being in the movie.

Can't wait for the 7th book though! :thumbsup: Not doing a midnight party, but getting a Saturday UPS delivery!!

Donald Duck 224
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I thought the movie was great and i cant wait to buy the last book.

DisneyDog
07-24-2007, 11:06 AM
DH and I took the day off of work yesterday to go see this movie, and we both loved it! I thought they did a great job of condensing the book, although, yes, some of my favorite scenes were missing.

I especially was hoping to see the ending of the book, when the Dursleys pick Harry up at the train station. That was so funny! Also, I was disappointed in how things ended up with Cho and Umbridge. That was different than the book.

But, most of all, I wished they had shown the parts in the hospital. I was hoping to see Kenneth Brannagh as Gilderoy again. I really wanted to see him in another movie with Emma Thompson, even if they weren't in the same scene together.