PDA

View Full Version : car rental and/or DME

dmallan
03-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Has anyone used DME and then rented a car from National/Alamo on Disney property?

I'm sure DME makes getting to the resort so much easier - not having to lug all the bags around and getting a car big enough to hold 5 people PLUS all of our luggage...

But having a rental is helpful too, especially in getting to other resorts for meals.

What have others done?:confused:

Tink#64
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Two years ago we split our vacation between WDW and Cocoa Beach. We used DME to go from MCO to WDW, and on our last day we got a rental from Alamo ?(I guess, I really can't remember - it was there on WDW property). We had made the rental arrangements prior to trip and they sent a van for us & our luggage to Pop & took us to get our rental. We left WDW & went to the beach. We were able to return the rental at MCO at the end of the trip. We had also gave info that we wouldn't be using DME for our return to MCO. I know this is a little different than what you are proposing. We only use WDW transpo when we're there. We don't travel off site & have not had any problems. I can see if scheduling character meals at various reorst it could come in handy, or if you plan to visit some attractions off site.

My DB drove and met us at WDW that year and once he arrived he parked his car & didn't get in it again until we left! So I suppose it's kind of a personal preference.

disneyfan1124
03-31-2007, 06:14 PM
We never rent a car and always use DME, we've never had issues.

We have family members that always rent a car because they say they don't like to make the bus transfers at Downtown.

Personally, I love the buses-I'm a people watcher and I love to meet new people and chat on the bus.

For sure, it's personal preference all the way.

tinksmom02
04-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Our first trip, in 2004, we drove down, and had rented a car for the trip. This past trip, we flew, but opted to rent. Riding the monorail or the boats from POR to DTD is one thing, but we really were not looking foward to sitting on a bus throughout the week, or having to be at the mercy of the transportation sytem for the entire week. Plus it's so much easier to get from resort to resort with a car, as opposed to transferring from bus to bus.

But that's own personal opinion; everyone's different, and some people don't mind the bus system at all!

MargaretMessler
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Has anyone used DME and then rented a car from National/Alamo on Disney property?

I'm sure DME makes getting to the resort so much easier - not having to lug all the bags around and getting a car big enough to hold 5 people PLUS all of our luggage...

But having a rental is helpful too, especially in getting to other resorts for meals.

What have others done?:confused:

We usually rent, except for our DCL trip, we took ME and rented a car from an off site hotel. (Budget at Doubletree DTD) We're generally light packers and don't mind getting our own luggage, so it's no big deal to us, but we're really looking forward to something new this trip - being able to check our bags at the resort for the return trip!

For those who are heavier packers or who just simply don't want to haul their own bags, there's always the option to send half of your party on ME with all the bags and the other half can rent the car and meet up at the hotel if you want to rent from MCO. Otherwise we found renting both from the CCC and from an off site location quick, easy and painless. Just depends on where the deal is.

dmallan
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Our last trip we decided at the last minute to rent and were glad we did, as we planned several dinners and visits to other resorts. It was so much easier to hop in the car and go to the resort rather than changing buses at DTD. We also played miniature golf one morning and I'm not sure how we'd have gotten there without the car.

I'm looking at various options this time so thanks for all your input!