PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Bubble Gum Pop on Disney Channel

animalkingdomguy
03-30-2007, 03:59 PM
My children greatly enjoy the Disney Channel. I would love to sit and occasionally share some Disney TV time with them, but I can't. (Grumpy Old Man Mode) Disney has packed so much cutesy, bubble gum pop star, fluff minded programming in their program line up that it is a rare occasion when I can stand to be in the same room. Raven, Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, etc. it's all the same saccharine content with different faces.

Please for the love of all that is Holy, please don't create another program starring a hand crafted cutesy 'Disney property' pop star.:ack: I would dearly love to have programming like the Wonderful World of Color I enjoyed each Sunday night as a child with my parents.:mickey:

The Disney Corporation knows that families enjoy to share together. It's blatantly obvious since their theme parks are the ultimate family sharing experience. What they don't seem to get is that families want to share Disney time at home as well. I'm just not seeing this on any Disney channel. They do two things very well. First they cater to the preschoolers with Handy Manny, Little Einsteins etc. Next they ooze programming for the Post K to 7th grade market.

What's missing, adult age group content. Nickelodeon gets it! In the evening hours they shift to more adult oriented content. Honestly, why do you need to program like 'The Sweet Life of Zack and Cody' at 10:00pm on a School Night. This is just an Example. I don't actually know if this program is on at this time, but I can assure you that it's something very similar.

By now you are thinking one of two things either this guy is a dinosaur or this guy it right on. Either way I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

DVC2004
03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm not really a Disney Channel fan, either. Maybe because I have boys and they don't care to watch those shows. My 8 year old niece loves it though- Cheetah Girls, Raven, High School Musical. You name it, she loves it. I guess they have a goldmine going with the tween market so unless somehting changes I doubt the Disney Channel will change. Wouldn't a Disney Classics channel be great? Old MM club and movies and such. I would love that!

Christine
03-30-2007, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=animalkingdomguy;1240418]By now you are thinking one of two things either this guy is a dinosaur or this guy it right on. [QUOTE]

I think you are "right on", however that expression itself may date us as dinosaurs! :D

But seriously, I agree. Sadly, my 7 year old daughter can't get enough of it!

If I could have my wish for Disney Channel come true, they would bring back Vault Disney at night!

JPL
03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
They are playing it to their target market Tweens. While I never watch the Disney Channel any more. I caan see why they are following this formula it works well for them. They get a new group of tweens every year so there is no end in site:(

DocWeeks
03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
And they lose a new group of viewers every year... I haven't watched the Disney channel in seven years for this exact reason.
I miss vault disney, the classic cartoons, zorro, I LOVED that stuff. The channel just gives me headaches now.

I'll occasionally watch Toon Disney, but I agree that a Vintage Disney channel would be amazing.

kakn7294
03-31-2007, 12:41 AM
While I don't spend much time watching the Disney Channel anymore myself, I love that my kids have a place to watch decent tv. And I have to admit that I actually like "Hannah Montana" and "Phil of the Future". It's kind of refreshing to watch a tv show with my children without worrying about all of the swearing and adult content found on network tv. Sometimes I even find myself cringing at the commercials!

SpecJoe Magic
03-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Despite my personal negative feelings about the Disney Channel's current state, I must admit that I believe they are doing the right thing by targeting the tween market. After all, not many channels are focusing on that age group. It makes sense for Disney from a business standpoint.

That being said, what I don't understand is the lack of a classic Disney channel. As a few others have mentioned, it would be great to see all of those old shows. I'm only 26 years old, and I never got to see many of those shows except for when Vault Disney still existed and on a few DVDs that I have. ESPN has a classic channel, and it seems to work. I think there is definitely a market for a classic Disney channel. I keep hoping that it will be created eventually.

magicman
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
It appears there is agreement on the wisdom of targeting the tween market; however, I think animalkingdomguy is right that there is room after ~10pm to have programming targeted at other audiences. People, like me, who watch TVLand would love to see some of the old Wonderful World of Disney Movies that used to come on Sunday nights when I was growing up.

Figgyluv03
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I will admit that it's not liek it use to be, but I actually like watching Hannah Montanta, Rave, and the Suite Life. I also look foward to the movies at night too. However, I would love for them to bring back some of the old classcs later on at night (around 10pm). I guess, kind of like Nickelodeon does with Nick @ Night.

jakeofwildwood
04-04-2007, 08:25 AM
What you are saying is exactly right. Disney has decided that the Disney channel's marketing nitch is the tween scene and creates programming almost along a prototype for ALL shows.

The Disney channel I remember is no more and for that I really think Walt would shed a tear. No Ink and Paint Club, Mouseketeers, Vault Disney, Not even cartoons placed between shows when there is enough time. The channel has become the focal of all things not toon. What is needed is a Generation D channel, something that has our old shows. Who would not LOVE to see Zorro again, Swampfox, Davy Crockett or any other installment series that could carry an entire season. Please, if any Disney Exec is reading this (and I know you do) bring this up. Walt always looked towards the future and said change was good, but not to the disgarding of those beloved treasures we need. Let us share those with our children.

conorsmom2000
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I have a 7 year old son who never watched the Disney channel, but just this past weekend, asked to watch Hannah Montana and Zach and Cody because "all my friends watch them!!" So, they definitely have a big fan base - but yes, I agree that either there should be a vintage channel or target an older audience at night. :thumbsup: