PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the pollen here is terrible!!

murphy1
03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
My friend just sent me a pic from her backyard, she lives off a nearby lake outside Atlanta.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EYtmjlo0bsWs&notag=1

Strmchsr
03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
We're having that same problem here in Alabama. Several of the lakes look like that (not to mention my normally silver car is solid yellow). With no rain for 29 straight days during the pollen season it leads to bad things for people with allergies.

Jasper
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Here in southern Indiana we are several days to about a week behind you on the pollen issue. The big difference for us is that we keep getting a good 3/4 to one inch of rain once a week or there abouts to help keep it settled.

On a slightly different topic, I looked out the back window of my house yesterday and there on the edge of the pond were 5 really large turtles sunning themselves! Four of the turtles were paired off doing what comes natural this time of year so I suspect there will be eggs and baby turtles in the near future!

DVC2004
03-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Yikes- my nose is running just looking at that!

TexasPrincessAurora
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
It's really bad this year in east Texas too. We've had quite a bit of rain, but it hasn't helped at all. Everyone has yellow cars!

darthmacho
03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow. Al Gore is sure to hear about this. :D

Boojum
03-30-2007, 04:23 PM
North Alabama has been officially declared in a drought right now. Pollen is everywhere, and there's lots of dust added to it, since the cotton farmers are getting their fields ready to plant.

I've had two doctors in this area tell me that Huntsville is allergy territory--something about it being in the Tennessee River Valley, where allergens can't blow away as easily as they can in other cities. I know people who never suffered from allergies at all until they moved to Huntsville; DH being one of them.

Maybe I should go outside and wash my car. It usually rains when I do that.......

Tinkerfreak
03-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Wow, here in Maine we are all anxiously awaiting the pollen because that would mean it was warm. Just when I think it is getting close to flip flop time the darn temps fall back down again and we have to bundle all up again. I have a serious case of spring fever.

Strmchsr
03-30-2007, 08:22 PM
North Alabama has been officially declared in a drought right now. Pollen is everywhere, and there's lots of dust added to it, since the cotton farmers are getting their fields ready to plant.

Maybe I should go outside and wash my car. It usually rains when I do that.......

Never fear. It looks like the pattern is finally shifting for April and Alabama should begin getting some good looks at rain. I remember last year when I was still living in Huntsville it seemed like it hardly rained at all, and this year has been more of the same. We've been a little wetter in Montgomery, but not much.

HockeyKat
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Pollen is TERRIBLE here... been in the 70s-80s for the last 2-3 weeks with no rain, and everything is yellow/green.

I mowed my lawn yesterday and came in with formerly white, now yellow/green sneakers.

Our roads look like there was a dusting of snow... tire tracks, etc., except yellow rather than white.

Thank the powers-that-be for generic cheap Claritin or life would bite beyond all reason at the moment. As it is, the Claritin-esque product allows me to mow my lawn and walk outside with only a bit of a sniffle rather than feeling like I was runover by a truck.

My allergist told me 6 years ago, the first spring I lived in pollen-land (aka central NC), to start a drug like allegra or claritin at about the end of Feb, so that it could build up in my system by the beginning of the allergy season and keep the head-junk away. She was totally right.