PDA

View Full Version : Airline Weight Limit for Baggage

merlinmagic4
03-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello :mickey:

I'm wondering about baggage policies in general. I would prefer to bring one large suitcase for the five of us (maybe one large and one small). I know they generally allow 2 bags per person so will they charge me for being over the weight limit if I only have to two bags (instead of 10!)? Thanks :)

Speedy1998
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I belive the weight limit is 50 lbs. They will charge you for being over, part of the reason is that OSHA requires that bags over 50lbs be handle differently to prevent injuries.

faline
03-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Check with your airline. Most airlines have a 50 pound limit per bag. Additionally, the bags can't be over a certain size. Your airlines web page will outline the baggage restrictions for your airline.

I've literally seen people redistributing belongings from one suitcase to another on the sidewalk outside an airport because one of their bags has exceeded the weight limit.

King Triton
03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
I know it seems unfair since you're allowed 10 bags for 5 of you and you only want to bring 2, but the airlines have really been enforcing the weight limit lately. I took a flight about a year ago and my checked bag was 53 pounds, so I had to open it up by the reservation counter and transfer 3+ pounds to my carry on.

If you go ahead with one huge bag, you'll have to pay a penalty. You might as well start thinking of breaking it up...

vamaggie
03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I have done it both ways --one big bag for 2 kids and me vs 2-3 smaller bags(DH always has to have his own bag--last minute packer!:thedolls: ). I would go with the smaller bags if possible. We have bags with wheels and we usually take 2-3 of these vs one big one. The big one gets really heavy really fast and is a pain to lug around (even with wheels). My DH pulls 1-2 bags, 10 yr old DS usually pulls 1-2 bags and I push DD in stroller with car seat and 1-2 carry ons. Since we usually curbside checkin it is not too bad with the multiple bags. Plus we always seem to have more room with 2-3 littler ones vs the big one. I don't think I would do 10 bags for the 5 of you but maybe 4-5?( depending on ages of kids?)

merlinmagic4
03-31-2007, 07:10 AM
I belive the weight limit is 50 lbs. They will charge you for being over, part of the reason is that OSHA requires that bags over 50lbs be handle differently to prevent injuries.

Now that makes sense to me. Can't argue with that!!

merlinmagic4
03-31-2007, 07:13 AM
I don't think I would do 10 bags for the 5 of you but maybe 4-5?( depending on ages of kids?)

I was just kidding about that :D We're light packers and I thought I might squeeze it all in one. I'm going to go pick up a couple of small cases! Thanks :mickey:

CPT Trips
03-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I was just kidding about that :D We're light packers and I thought I might squeeze it all in one. I'm going to go pick up a couple of small cases! Thanks :mickey:

That's your best bet! Happy flying!

MargaretMessler
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I've literally seen people redistributing belongings from one suitcase to another on the sidewalk outside an airport because one of their bags has exceeded the weight limit.

Yeah...that was us our last trip, only we were on the ground in front of the check in counter. :( I figured I was doing a good thing by bringing only one bag rather than two for them to handle, I didn't even think about the weight, so there we were splitting up my belongings into another bag at the airport. I'm just going with two smaller bags this trip.

I understand the reason for the rule, and if I had to be the one hauling things, I'd understand even more I'm sure. But rather pricey, I think. Big problem though was the rude counter agent who was harrassing us the entire time, even though HE was the one who told us to do it.