PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat on the ME Bus?

Eeyore's Pal
03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
We sould be landing at the airport around noon time and I was thinking it might save time if we grabbed something at the foodcourt at the airport and ate it on the bus. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

(If this is in the wrong forum, please move. I wasn't sure where to post it.)

thewishingstar
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi. We've flown in from Philly several times at the noon hour. Each year, by the time we get to the hotel then get to a restaurant it is 2pm and everyone is pretty grouchy.

This January, we wised up and I packed PB&J sandwiches, chips and bought drinks before we boarded. The kids ate their sandwiches while we were waiting for my husband to stand in line for ME. My husband and I ate our sandwiches actually on ME and no one batted an eye.
We got to the hotel refreshed, feed and much less stressed!

MidnTPK
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I might have batted an eye....

I don't know if there's a rule, but....even if there isn't a rule, that doesn't mean you should do it.

A bus is a pretty confined space. To force everyone around you to watch you eat and smell your food isn't necessarily courteous. And then there are the inevitable accidents -it's a bus not a restaurant - it may stop short or hit a bump.. Does someone else really deserve to have your soda spilled in their lap because you wanted to save 20 minutes?

Well, that's my 2 cents.

cetacean01
03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I am sure they expect it. After travelling across the country to visit their resorts, they shouldnt bat an eye. Dont worry about it, if they say something then stop if not the you are golden:thumbsup:

LisaMarie
03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't know if you can eat on the ME bus, but I do know that the food court offerings in the Orlando airport are very, very expensive (way more than food at a Disney resort) and usually very bad in quality. The Sbarro pizza I had there while waiting on a return flight was terrible - nothing like Sbarro pizza usually is in a mall.

Piglet822
03-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Generally there is no food or drink allowed on buses. Several of the reasons have already been stated here but as a driver of a DME coach I will state another one.
I am responsible for the cleanliness of my vehicle. We actually have "mystery shoppers" that ride our buses to make sure we're doing things properly. One of the things they check for is cleanliness, inside and out.
Because there are no trays to place food or drink on, it is very easy to drop or spill food. If I see you getting on my bus with a bag of food I will politely ask you to either finish it outside or please refrain from eating it until we arrive at our destination.
I have had to acutally get down on my hands and knees (no easy task when you've got arthritis) and wipe spilled soda from my floor. I have to check my bus after each trip. Many times I find empty coffee cups, water bottles, soda cans, food containers, candy wrappers, etc just thrown on the floor. And yes, I do have a trash can up front.
While the majority of the people are conscientious enough to take their trash with them, it's the few that don't that spoil it for others.
I know some drivers won't say anything but it really shouldn't be done.
I'll get off my :soapbox: now

JPL
03-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I have had to acutally get down on my hands and knees (no easy task when you've got arthritis) and wipe spilled soda from my floor.

Sorry about that but who told you to hit that big pothole ;)

Jasper
03-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Generally there is no food or drink allowed on buses. Several of the reasons have already been stated here but as a driver of a DME coach I will state another one.
I am responsible for the cleanliness of my vehicle. We actually have "mystery shoppers" that ride our buses to make sure we're doing things properly. One of the things they check for is cleanliness, inside and out.
Because there are no trays to place food or drink on, it is very easy to drop or spill food. If I see you getting on my bus with a bag of food I will politely ask you to either finish it outside or please refrain from eating it until we arrive at our destination.
I have had to acutally get down on my hands and knees (no easy task when you've got arthritis) and wipe spilled soda from my floor. I have to check my bus after each trip. Many times I find empty coffee cups, water bottles, soda cans, food containers, candy wrappers, etc just thrown on the floor. And yes, I do have a trash can up front.
While the majority of the people are conscientious enough to take their trash with them, it's the few that don't that spoil it for others.
I know some drivers won't say anything but it really shouldn't be done.
I'll get off my :soapbox: now

VERY WELL SAID!!!

I know many of us, myself included, are constantly warning folks in our posts to be considerate of other guests. It is good to get a reminder about why it is important to also be considerate of the people doing the work so that we can enjoy or vacation!

Piglet822
03-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Sorry about that but who told you to hit that big pothole ;)

My bad :blush:

Marilyn Michetti
03-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't think you can eat or drink on any Disney transportation. I don't think it would be inconsiderate, (if allowed), however. Now that you can bring meals on a plane, we all smell WONDERFUL aromas that we wish were coming from our seats. It's optional for everyone.:blush:

Strmchsr
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for letting us know the "official" low down, Jeanne! It's much better to get it straight from the source than speculation. I promise I won't spill anything on your bus next time!:thumbsup:

Bruegge
03-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I might have batted an eye....

I don't know if there's a rule, but....even if there isn't a rule, that doesn't mean you should do it.

A bus is a pretty confined space. To force everyone around you to watch you eat and smell your food isn't necessarily courteous. And then there are the inevitable accidents -it's a bus not a restaurant - it may stop short or hit a bump.. Does someone else really deserve to have your soda spilled in their lap because you wanted to save 20 minutes?

Well, that's my 2 cents.

(Everybody Duck... you hit a pet peeve)

Yea, I gotta agree.
Don't be THAT group that has the picnic while traveling. I see it on the plane too often.

I mean it's one thing to have a muffin and a coffee for one.... or a bag of goldfish/cheesit's for little kids.

But passing food, drinks, fruit cups across the asile to the kids is a push for me. Being forced to smell food you would would not eat (some weird spicy meat Pastrami or salami sandwiches at 9:30 am last trip) while being "confined" in a moving bus or plane is not my cup of tea.

(did I mention the luke warm fish salad the Asian family brought on one of my Delta flights)

Not to mention some people are a little queasy about travel anyway (not me)

PLEASE eat at the airport or wait the 30 minutes

Scott

Marilyn Michetti
04-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh........that puts a whole new spin on things. If I smelled fish salad on a plane:sick: I SEE YOUR POINT !

I was thinking more along the lines of the fruit and yogurt that we usually bring on board.:thumbsup:

BronxTigger
04-01-2007, 06:28 AM
This is slightly off topic, but I thought of this thread yesterday when I was riding the bus around my city.

The official rule on NYC Transit (buses and subways) is that there is no eating or drinking. This rule is rarely enforced. I see people eating all the time; usually it is fast food. (Although seeing people eat full Asian meals with chopsticks standing on a train is like getting free entertainment.)

Yesterday, though, there was a family with a large pizza box. They were sharing there slices of pizza with each other only a few rows behind the driver, who must not have said anything. It was like a whole picnic. It didn't take long for the smell of said pizza to reach the back of that (extended length) bus where I was sitting. A slice, maybe...but a whole pizza?

Remember too...ME buses are more like charter buses with nice seats, not like regular plastic city bus seats. Please don't eat on the ME bus!