PDA

View Full Version : 3 travel questions

GOOFY4U
03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
1st- Where can we get some stickers or tags to put on our luggage to make it easy to spot when you arrive.
2nd- Is it necessary to put locks on luggage. So many i talked to dont use them yet others do. Dont it make it harder at airport with locks for the checkin. Or is there another reason for the locks.
3rd- Where do you put your name and addy on the INSIDE of your luggage. We see you need it inside and out.
This is first trip in 20 years so needed to ask. We appreciate all the help you have given us here so far. Thank you!

GOOFY4U

caryrae
03-30-2007, 12:13 PM
1st: I have seen a lot of luggage with just brightly colored tape wraped around the handle.

2nd: I know at are airport they don't want locks on your checked luggage incase they need to go through it otherwise they would have to cut the lock.

3rd: Our luggage has little zippered pockets inside so we just put our address on a slip of paper and put it in there.

I did a search for "colorful luggage tags" and man there or some unique tags out there, you could never miss it at baggage claim.

Marker
03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
1st- Where can we get some stickers or tags to put on our luggage to make it easy to spot when you arrive.
2nd- Is it necessary to put locks on luggage. So many i talked to dont use them yet others do. Dont it make it harder at airport with locks for the checkin. Or is there another reason for the locks.
3rd- Where do you put your name and addy on the INSIDE of your luggage. We see you need it inside and out.
This is first trip in 20 years so needed to ask. We appreciate all the help you have given us here so far. Thank you!

GOOFY4U

1 - We have some generic navy blue luggage. We simply wrapped both the top and side handles with some red tape (much like duct tape, in fact it may be). Surprisingly, it shows up really well, and we don't have to mess with an additional strap.

2 - We've never locked our luggage. Especially now that it seems more often than not the screeners leave notes inside saying they were in there. If they feel a need to check inside, it sure makes it easier if there is no lock. To my knowledge we've never had anything from inside lost or stolen.

3 - We have clearly labeled luggage tags, but have never put name & address on the inside.

faline
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
1. We tie brightly colored ribbon to the handle of our bags to make them easier to spot.

2. Locking checked luggage is now forbidden unless you use lock approved by the TSA. On our last trip, one of those locks was removed and not replaced. I still use locks when I store my luggage before I get my room and after I check out. Occasionally, I will lock some things inside a piece of luggage in my room.

3. It is recommended that you put your contact information on the inside of your luggage. This helps if your luggage gets separated from the contact information you've noted on your external luggage tags.

Mickey78
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I make pom-poms out of yarn in bright colors to attach to my luggage. They are quick and very easy to make. Since most people don't have them on their bags, it makes your luggage stand right out. :mickey:

Tink1
03-30-2007, 12:24 PM

GOOFY4U

I use sidewalk chalk from the dollar store and write my first name on my luggage. I can spot it easy!

Nanc

goofiecrazy
03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Our bags are green duffle like that are from LL Bean so its easy to find our bags.
We used to use locks on our bags but now i hear you cant use locks now they will have u remove them u might want to call the airline and find out about the whole lock thing.
Our bags have Disney luggage tags we got one year at one of the stores that had our name and address.

mjm
03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
1. I've just used orange duct tape. I put strips on the sides of the luggage. I haven't seen too many people do this, so my luggage always stood out. However, it's been 3 years since I've flown, so I don't know if colored tape is getting more prevalent or not.

2. I did use one of those cheap locks that come with the luggage one time to just keep the zippers from coming open. But, it came back to me broken off. Try using the plastic wire ties you can get from any electronics or hardware store. Use them to just keep the zippers from coming open. You can cut off the excess.

3. You could print up your address on 3 x 5 cards and have it covered in plastic and then put on top of your clothes in the luggage.

faline
03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
The locks that generally come with luggage sets are now longer allowed - per security rules. That's probably why it wasn't returned to you. TSA cuts off any locks that are not TSA approved.

For a while, they were recommending the pastic strips that you speak of. You may find those cut off your luggage as well. I'd recommend either leaving your luggage unlocked or buying the TSA approved locks.

Figgyluv03
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
1.) I have PopPoms on my luggage from my senior trip (it's my school colors so it's easily picked out).

2.) Use TSA aproved locks. If someone needs to get into you luggage, TSA will be able to get in your suitecase without breaking your locks. (My dad learned that the hard way and ruined a piece of my luggage).

3.) Some luggage has the info tags attached right to the luggage, so it' won't come off, but I have tags and I have my info inside my luggage as well.

Hope you have lots of fun & enjoy your trip.

KylesMom
03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
1) We bought a bunch of matching bandanas for $1 a piece at Hobby Lobby & knot them around the luggage handle - very easy to spot when they're coming off the conveyor.
2) We bought the TSA approved locks @ Wal-mart to guard our luggage from unwanted intrusions at both the airport and at WL for when we turned over to bell services. They were a few bucks for a set of three. I should note that over the past year, there have been a few Intercotees who have had problems with items "missing" from their luggage when it is stored at the hotel. Although we don't keep valuable items in our stored luggage, it makes us feel a bit more secure to have the TSA locks on them.
3) We write our name, address & phone on wide masking tape and tape directly inside each bag in case our external luggage tags are separated from the suitcases. Have a great time! :mickey:

Mickey's Pal
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
The locks sold at stores usually have "TSA Approved" marked on the packaging. For info on currently approved click here (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm). Or visit www.tsa.gov and click FAQ.

Hope that helps! :mickey:

Magic Smiles
03-30-2007, 09:27 PM
We use two pieces of different coloured thin ribbon tied to the handles of each piece of luggage to identify ours.

We keep our zippers together on our luggage with the plastic strips sold in hardware stores as we were told that if they want to check your luggage and it is locked, they will just cut the lock off. We always pack extra plastic strips for our return trip. We also pack a little pair of manicure scissors in an outside pocket of checked luggage to cut the plastic strips off when we get to the hotel.
I have had my luggage searched and found the little note from the Customs people inside to indicate that they had searched the luggage. We have never had anything go missing.

crazypoohbear
03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I use red and white Christmas yarn and tie them on all the luggage handles. Cheap and easy!
I don't lock my luggage any longer. But, I did read that as long as the lock is TSA approved they have master keys to open if necessary.

We use the Disney tags sent last year from MJ. on the outside. We don't' have anything identifying on the inside. Maybe we should?:confused:

Tink#64
03-31-2007, 04:12 PM
We like others use curling ribbon. I use a combination of two different colors - odds are no one else is going to choose the same two colors as me! I tie ribbon to the handles, so easy to recognize ours! We also have luggage tags with our personal info as well as the DME tags. I've never put our info on the inside - hadn't given it a thought. I suppose it's a good idea in the event the tag is removed?

tinksmom02
03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Re: #2

We bought the TSA-approved locks and had no problems. My mother used the little lock that came with the luggage, and when we arrived, discovered the broken lock INSIDE her suitcase. I personally think that the can of coffee she had packed set off some kind of sensor, and they busted the lock to make sure she wasn't smuggling drugs or something. Fortunately, the can was sealed LOL

Yes, my mother travels with her own coffee.

As for #3, I just put an index card inside our suitcase, with all our contact info.

Brenle
03-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Goofy4u.

Like most people, I put colorful ribbon on all of the handles with the Disney tags that were sent to us. Our luggage is black, so the color makes it much easier to spot. We also have our name and address on a lg. piece of paper inside the luggage in case the tags get ripped off. Also, we use the plastic wires or "zip" ties on all of our luggage and not once has the luggage been returned to us with the ties cut off. Enjoy your vacation:pixie: