PDA

View Full Version : Did I just lose my ability to use DME?

Ricbr
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
My entire family is going down in July and we were going to be flying United...and we were going to use DME.

Well I heard from my mother this week that the travel agent changed our flight to Tran Air (I think that is the name) and it saved a decent amount of money.

But after looking at info central I dont see that airline listed. Did our travel agent just blow our ability to use DME to get to and from the hotel?

:(

disneyfamily05
03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
No your travel agent didn't blow it. We have flown Air Tran (I think maybe that's what you mean) and used DME for transportation between the resort and MCO.

What you can't do with Air Tran (as far as I know) is take advantage of the hotel "check-in" on your return trip home. So - for those flying with airlines listed (United etc.) they are able to check-in for the airplane flight from the hotel - they check bags, get boarding passes, etc. right from the hotel lobby. For those people who are flying with airlines NOT listed you would just have to take you luggage with you on the bus (it will stowed underneath) and check in at the airport like you normally do. Again - the above only applies to the RETURN flight home.

If you are using DME to get TO Disney World any checked luggage that you have attached the special DME sticky tags will be transported to the resort "magically" without you having to pick it up and you just hop on the bus with your carry on stuff.

Hope this info didn't confuse you more. We used DME and thought it was great - we had to wait a little for the bus to get to Disney but still worth it.

Caroleh
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey, I think I can answer this one!!! You can still use DME. They will still pick up your bags at the airport, but on the return trip, you'll have to take your packs with you from the resort. If I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me!!

kakn7294
03-30-2007, 10:12 AM
A "participating airline" just means that you can check-in for your return flight at the resort and they will print your boarding pass and check your luggage at the resort. If your airline does not participate - Air Tran does not - it only means that you will have to take your luggage with you to the bus, then check yourself and luggage in at the airport. It's really not a big deal and the savings are probably worth a little extra hassle at the airport. You get there so early anyway that you will have plenty of time to check-in.

Ricbr
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I got a little worried that I was going to need to start finding a rental car for our trip.

Thanks!

CanadianWDWFan
03-30-2007, 10:42 AM
There is an on going thread that says that Air Tran is now working towards becoming a "participating" airline. I am watching this thread to see what comes out.

Here is the link (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=99834) to the thread.

Marker
03-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow, just when you think you know a little something, you learn something new.

If I'm reading correctly, if I arrive on a non-participating airline, my luggage can still be picked up at the airport and delivered????

I was under the impression, and acted accordingly, that if I flew on a non-participating airline (like Southwest), that I had to retrieve my luggage myself at the airport and bring it with me on the bus.

So how do they do it? Do they just have their people hanging out at the luggage carousel grabbing ALL the bags with a yellow DME tag? Or do they actually look specifically for each guests bags based on flight number and arrival times?

I'm amazed I didn't know this already.

Piglet822
03-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Shortly before your trip you'll receive a packet in the mail from DME (if you've booked far enough in advance). In the packet are bright yellow luggage tags with a colored Mickey head, the name of your resort, and the guests name. Attach these tags to your luggage BEFORE checking them at your home airport and your bags will be taken behind the scenes at MCO and transported to your resort via truck.

On the return to MCO there are certain airlines that offer a resort check in service. You actually are checking in with your airline just as you normally would at the airport. Only certain airlines participate in this which is where the phrase "participating airline" comes in. It really is most confusing.

The airlines that offer the service are Delta, Northwest, United/Ted, Continental, American, Alaska Air, JetBlue, and most recently added to the list, Air Tran.

The airline check in desks are usually located right in the main lobby or just outside the main door. Just ask at your resort and they can direct you. The hours of operation are 5 AM to 1 PM. You can check in a maximum of 12 hours prior to your flight but no less than 3 hours before. You'll receive your boarding passes at the same time and you'll be able to bypass the airline counter at the airport.

Mickey's Pal
03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Just to add to the other posts... The DME perk is offered as a WDW resort perk for guests flying into MCO- and is not based on a particular airline.

The post above is correct in entirety. The "preferred carriers" have the perk of "check in/boarding pass" at the resort instead of at the airport (quite the time saver).

The DME bus will drop you and your luggage off right at the check-in counter, so it's a minor "inconvenience" to have check your own luggage. :mickey:

CleveRocks
03-30-2007, 06:16 PM
The DME bus will drop you and your luggage off right at the check-in counter, so it's a minor "inconvenience" to have check your own luggage. :mickey:I don't write this to be nit-picky. I just don't want someone to have an incorrect idea of what happens, and then get angry and complain when things are not as they thought they'd be.

DME buses drop off passengers at the airport's Level 1. The airline ticket counters are on Level 3. There are elevators.

DME buses doing drop offs make only 2 stops at the airport, one on the A side and one on the B side. They do not make stops at each airline. Depending on where your airline's ticket counter is, once you get to Level 3 you might be right at your ticket counter, or you might have a considerable walk. Just depends on luck.

Piglet822
03-30-2007, 08:02 PM
So how do they do it? Do they just have their people hanging out at the luggage carousel grabbing ALL the bags with a yellow DME tag? Or do they actually look specifically for each guests bags based on flight number and arrival times?

That's pretty much how it works. Even before your bags reach the carousel, actually. The yellow tags identify your bags as those belonging to a DME guest. The bags are pulled behind the scenes and the scanning and sorting process begins (CleveRocks has more information on that part than I do). You'll also notice on the yellow tags a colored Mickey head (the different colors correspond to different areas of WDW; MK, DD, AK, and EP. It will list the resort name and the name of the guest.

Disney does know how many guests and on what flight. That's one of the reasons they ask for reservations at least 10 days prior to arrival. Based on the number of reservations depends on how many buses they order per day, it even dictates how many drivers check on per hour. I've seen the sheets that are used by Disney and Mears to help coordinate things and it is broken down by hour for the day by how many guests are expected within each hour and how many guests are going to what resort for that day. It's quite a process. Disney never fails to amaze me with their eye for details.

I'm amazed I didn't know this already.

It's a well kept secret. :secret: We will now begin your registration process in the Witness Protection Program :spy:

DME buses drop off passengers at the airport's Level 1. The airline ticket counters are on Level 3. There are elevators.

Skycaps and luggage carts are available as well should anyone require assistance.