PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Make your own laser?

thejens
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Where can you make your own laser? Star Tours Gift Shop? Downtown Disney? Is it cool? My boys are excited. We are going to MGM for the first Star Wars weekend.

CanadianWDWFan
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
You can make your own lightsabres. :yoda::darth: My DS8 just flipped when he heard about it! They cost $20 at DTD.

Carol
03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Here's the press release;

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- There's an exciting new way for Walt Disney World guests to choose their Star Wars destiny -- be it Jedi or Sith -- and live their adventure inspired by a galaxy far, far away.

Now open at the Once Upon a Toy store at Downtown Disney Marketplace is the "Build Your Own Lightsaber" kiosk, a step-by-step, Star Wars merchandise experience that invites guests to build custom lightsabers with thousands of unique possibilities.

The experience takes guests through nine steps in which they choose every part of their lightsaber, including the color of the blade, sleeve rings, hilt sleeves and ignition switches.

Each lightsaber features authentic Star Wars sound effects, and guests can select colored crystals and filters to cast the legendary glow of the lightsaber blade (purple, green, red or blue).

From the start, guests opt for a Jedi or Sith lightsaber, with bins of custom parts available for each order. Guests can create their very own design or follow instructions to replicate lightsabers used by such favorite Star Wars characters as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader. Each electronic lightsaber features specialized lights, sounds and vibrations.

Once complete, guests proceed to checkout where they receive batteries to power up their creation and a store-exclusive Jedi or Sith pin.

No matter how elaborate the design -- guests can even create the double-bladed lightsaber like the one made famous by the evil Sith apprentice, Darth Maul -- each completed lightsaber is $19.95.

The "Build Your Own Lightsaber" display is the latest in customizable merchandise experiences at Once Upon a Toy, joining the "Build Your Own Potato Head" and "Create Your Own My Little Pony" areas.

Sunshine1010
03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Yep, they are at Downtown Disney. I 'think' at World Of Disney......if not there, the other big store at Downtown Disney.

They were 20.00 and I saw several children with them. They all seemed to enjoy them....

Crow
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
i read aobut it and it sounded interesting. ill have to check it out

kakn7294
03-29-2007, 11:38 PM
I read about this too. I thought it sounded rather cool and I'm not a huge Star Wars fan - I like the original 3 movies but haven't seen the new series. And $20 doesn't seem like a bad price either unless the finished product is under a foot long!

Sunshine1010
03-30-2007, 07:33 AM
The toy is long.....

casey@bat
03-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Very Long!

My son made a double one for the same price!

thejens
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks! My eight year old son is beside himself with excitement. He wants to know if you can push a button to make the laser come out. I am guessing no? I am too excited about this trip. Two months away. Two LONG months. Wait only 56 days till we leave!!!! 56 LONG days away!:party:

King Triton
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
This sounds good... my DS found out about this and I think he's more excited about making a lightsaber than he is in going to the parks.

The length of the finished product concerns me. Is it collapsible like those you buy in a toy store at home, or is it a fixed length. Would it fit in a decent sized suitcase or will it need to be shipped home? I don't think TSA or the airlines would be too amused with boys toting lightsabers, even if they clearly are toys.

casey@bat
04-04-2007, 12:37 PM
It collapses. If it is still not small enough, take it apart! Just watch how it was put together. It is pretty easy.

MOJoe
04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
We'll be at WDW for Star Wars Weekend #2 and I KNOW my 8 yr old will HAVE TO have one of these things. Does anyone know how much time it takes to build one? 30 minutes? 1 hour? And will he be allowed to take it in the Studios?

Sunshine1010
04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
It took about 10 minutes to make one.

It's set-up is similar to the Mr. Potato Head thingy. Kinda like a counter, and as you go down, you pick out your items.

There was NEVER a line every time we saw it.

Nekochan
04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know if they're still available, but I got a great kit like that at my local toys r us. It has all sorts of interchangable parts - you can copy jedi or sith, any favorite character etc. It even has three different 'crystals' that change the sound the lightsaber makes whooshing through the air. My son has ADD, and is rather impulsive - I'd be afraid to let him in a crowd with a long toy weapon (sword or otherwise) just because I know him...and the irresistible urge to use it. He'd either end up jabbing someone or I'd end up spending the whole time yelling at him to stop waving that darn thing around.

Belle--86
04-12-2007, 02:01 PM
My DH and DD(5) can't wait to go to Disney and make theirs-- they are so excited.:darth: :yoda: I just can,t wait to go to Disney--97 more days!!!

atruman
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
You get the crystals with this as well. I have made one for myself (I'm a big kid at heart) and it suggests you take all three crystals, and there is even a place in the hilt of the saber to keep the ones you are not using. You also get a special Sith or Jedi pin when you take your completed saber up to pay for it.

Tynkerbelle
04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Is this still going to be available after the Star Wars weekends?

BashfulMom
04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I can't wait until our trip to WDW. I plan on taking my nephew & my son to the store to make a light sword. They are going to be so suprised. I'm having a hard time keeping it to myself.

Jenemmy
04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh my gosh....my DS is going to go crazy for this!!!:woohoo:

DisneyOtaku
04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
When I was three years old, my father set me down with him and had me watch the original trilogy. Disney and Star Wars are my childhood fandoms (still are to this day)--I mean, my first crush was on Luke Skywalker.

I am getting one of these lightsabers!!!!

atruman
04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
The spot to do it in Once Upon a Toy is pretty permanent looking. It seems likely to be there for a good long time. Also, for those who are interested, one of the R2D2 mailboxes is right outside of World of Disney, near the back on the side that has Stitch looking down.