PDA

View Full Version : Go Annually & Stay At A Value Or Go Every Other Year & Stay At A Deluxe?

magicman
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Poll: Would you opt for going on an annual trip to WDW and staying at a Value Resort, or would you choose to go every other year if it meant you could then afford to stay in a Deluxe Resort?

I select an annual trip & stay at a Value (the Pop). However, it is a dream of mine to stay in the Poly or Beach Club, but I'd have to save too long to do it.

KylesMom
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
No contest for my family - if we needed to stay at a lower-end resort & go every year versus every other year, we'd take the "every year" every time! :mickey:

AwPhooey
03-29-2007, 04:28 PM
I'd choose deluxe every-other-year if all of the following were true:
- the cost was double the cost of an annual value stay (I've never done the math, but I'm assuming that's not the case)
- my length of stay would be the same no matter which option I chose
- my decision to use/not use the DDP would be the same no matter which option I chose

I think I go with this option because I don't typically go every year (the last few trips have been atypical) and I've never stayed at a deluxe (though I have stayed at the Disney Inn and Dolphin, but they were many years ago).

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
No contest for my family - if we needed to stay at a lower-end resort & go every year versus every other year, we'd take the "every year" every time! :mickey:

Well Said.

animalkingdomguy
03-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I know that the values are nice, but as a family of five I would rather wait and stay at a deluxe that can accomodate my entire family in one room rather than buy two value rooms. Also, I love the theming of most of the deluxe resorts. It usually take two years to save up for the next trip anyway and it makes the magic even more magical when you wait.

disneymom15
03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
My vote is to do the value resort every year. How much time do you really spend in your resort room? We're always on the go, and the only time we're at the room is when we are sleeping.

diz_girl
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Like AwPhooey, I'd choose to go every other year and stay in a deluxe. I love staying at the Magic Kingdom resorts and would definitely go every other year if it meant staying at a Deluxe. I've always stayed in the Deluxes, before there ever were moderates or values, and that's what I'm used to. My family also spends some downtime at the resorts, so it's not just a place to sleep for us. The moderates and values are a good idea and it's great that there are various price options for people with differing priorities, which this post illustrates.

Seasonscraps
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I would go every other year and stay at a deluxe.

Marker
03-29-2007, 05:19 PM
No brainer for me. I've never stayed at a deluxe, and doubt I ever will. I don't need the "luxury", it's not me. A value bed sleeps the same as a deluxe bed, and I'd bet the value shower gets me just as clean.

I like the atmosphere at the values, I like the food courts.

I have stayed at moderates, and that's splurging enough for me.

I wouldn't pay $50 for a candy bar, and I can't see paying 3 or 4 hundred a night for a bed.

But that's just me.

Jasper
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I think the most basic question to ask to decide this is: Does your family like to spend much time at the resort or do they spend almost all their time in the parks?

My family doesn't do much more than swim at the pool one or two times during our stay and spends the rest of the time in the parks. Thus, for us, the cost of a deluxe is rather wasted because we aren't there long enough to enjoy the amenities. However, if your family likes to enjoy the extras that a deluxe can provide then it may make sense to go that way.

Best thing is to find out what your family likes and go with that.

mrsgaribaldi
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
All my time in the resort is just about spent sleeping:blush: Value is great for me, every year:mickey:

sleepingbooty
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
At this point, I'd rather go every year, even if it meant staying Value, rather than saving for 2 years to stay Deluxe. Maybe when our kids are older I'll feel differently, and we won't need to go every year, but for now the Values and Moderates are fine.

kakn7294
03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Since I'm happy at the moderate level (even though I would love to stay at a deluxe), it's no question that I'd rather give up a little bit and stay at a value to go every year. I've never experienced the deluxe anyway, so I don't know what I may (or may not) be missing!

Jerry2
03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
We usually stay at a Value for 10 to 12 days every year. For out 20th Wedding Anniversary we decided to go to the Contemporary for 5 Days (all we could afford). Although I always wanted to stay at a Deluxe and I was glad I did, staying only 5 days left me feeling like I was missing something (as would skipping a year). I LOVE the entire WDW experience and I would pick every year at a Value hands down! TWO YEARS IS A LONG TIME!!!

jedigrrrl
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
a bed's a bed, a shower's a shower....

Thanks to the value I get staying in value resorts, I go 3-4 times every year.

I've stayed in Deluxes and don't care for the differences. Its not worth the $$.

DisneyGRL7
03-29-2007, 08:14 PM
I think it depends on your family's situation. Think about how much time you will actually spend at a resort. Also, if you have kids, I doubt it will make a difference to them, as the theming is great at just about every resort, and they will likely be focused on the parks anyways. Also, after a few years of trips, I'm sure you will be able to skip a year and maybe book a moderate or deluxe for the following year.

Mnchknbrat1982
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Well it really depends on your personal situationa and preferences. I would stay at a value hands down if it meant going more. However, I am a huge disney nut! The bf calls me "Disney Head"

I know with my current situation with me still finishing up my BS and both of us in our 20's that we just can't justify the $215 or more a night for the room. It's taken us a little over a year to save up the money for our trip in September. It would of been at least another year if we were staying at a deluxe. Now with this being said I would love to stay at a deluxe some day! I really want to do Animal Kingdom Lodge!

However the boyfriend and I are not in the room enough to make it worth while. We are there to sleep and shower and maybe go swimming 1-2 times the entire trip.

Crow
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
every year at POP. i would love to go and stay at Deluxe but cant. WL!
but ive been lucky but poor and gone a few times more than many. then again i dont go anyway else on vacation.
WL is great, and mayb i would like to try Poly, but i didnt like BC other than location and twice at AKL wasnt real great...ok.
Pop is great and many dont spend time in rooms anyway

Spaceship Tigger
03-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Unlike a lot of people, going to WDW every year for me would be a bit much. I would prefer going every other year and seeing some other part of the country in between. Then I can really look forward to the deluxe resort I will be staying at (which for me is half the fun of the trip) when I do get to go.

SBETigg
03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
There's no way I would go every year anyway. Every other year (or every few years) keeps the magic fresh for me, and allows me to see other places with my family in my off years. I'm addicted and I love it, but not every year. I prefer to build excitement and anticipation between trips. And definitely deluxe all the way.

It's not just about the room, the bed, the shower for us. We enjoy the resorts. The resorts are amazing and add so much more to our vacations than just park time. Plus the transportation at deluxes is so much less aggravating that it's worth it for me. And proximity to parks adds to the magic.

DDuck66
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Another option is to try a delux resort and then do a short weekend or 3 day weekend trip to a value. We did that in 2005. We stayed at the CR and did enjoy the MK view. Generally I would go to the value so that I could visit more often. Luckily for me, i just moved in Oct 06 and now WDW is only a hour and a half drive!!! We have already been 3 times since then!!!.
Just remember any day at Disney is better than a day somewhere else.

lyle21
03-30-2007, 10:18 AM
deluxe for us. we spend a lot of time at the resorts. where we stay is just as important as the parks for us.

merlinmagic4
03-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Hmmm.....I couldn't vote but the replies were very interesting!! We bought a timeshare offsite so we can go every year and it costs us less than a week at a value resort. We have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, great pools and we are about 5 minutes from Downtown Disney.

If I did have the option to stay at Disney I would have a hard time deciding. The value resorts would be fine for me but, on the other hand, we tend to spend a lot of time at the resort so a bigger place is pretty important. I can't decide!!! Can I go every three years and stay at a Home Away from Home resort? That would be my best option although three years is a long time!!!:D

BMan62
03-30-2007, 11:27 AM
This is a no-brainer for me -- More Disney trips is better!!!!

As others have said, you don't spend that much time in your room anyway. Compare prices: $82/night Value vs. $215/night Deluxe (cheapest.) [Value Season - Standard room]

I'll visit the Deluxes to go to dinner, but I think the money is more wisely spent getting more trips.

DNS
03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I went with going every year and staying at a value. The deluxe hotels are nice, but we spend very little time in our rooms, so when it comes down to it, most of my memories are of the fun things we do in the parks other things around WDW, not of the room. To stay at Poly, I'd skip a year one time to stay there once, but overall, I'd rather go every year.

King Triton
03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I voted for the go annually in value, but its not that cut and dry to me.

If my visit is relatively short, like 3 or 4 days, I'd be inclined to do the go every year in the value. The room wouldn't be used for much more than sleeping and I wouldn't be as inclined to use the resort (pools, etc.), since I'd be in the park.

If the visit is fairly long, say a week or more, I might be more inclined to go every other year in the deluxe. On a longer visit, you can take more in, enjoy the resorts more, and not feel as rushed in the parks.

Nate's Grandpa
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
No brainer for me. I've never stayed at a deluxe, and doubt I ever will. I don't need the "luxury", it's not me. A value bed sleeps the same as a deluxe bed, and I'd bet the value shower gets me just as clean.

I like the atmosphere at the values, I like the food courts.

I have stayed at moderates, and that's splurging enough for me.

I wouldn't pay $50 for a candy bar, and I can't see paying 3 or 4 hundred a night for a bed.

But that's just me.

I agree with everything Marker said.

darthmacho
03-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd go every year if I could, but honestly, at this point I'd settle for a value every other year. :mickey:

mousetrapper
03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I know this may sound crazy, but I think if we went every year WDW would lose a little bit of its luster for us...or we more accurately, we would get a little too spoiled to truly appreciate it if we went every year.

I can't really comment on the value resorts since I've never stayed at one, but we do love the moderate (CBR) and deluxe (Poly and Beach Club) resorts we've stayed in before.

We especially love the Poly ... it's everything "Disney" to us.

pook@wdw
03-30-2007, 05:39 PM
We only get 1 vacation @ yr and we're gonna do it right. We go every year AND stay @ deluxe resort. Not to sound pretentious, but we work hard and save $ all year for the pleasure of staying @ WDW and don't want to spend any more time on transportation than absolutely necessary! And we accomplish that by staying @ the deluxe resorts. PLus, we do spend a little more time @ the resort if we're closer! So, for us, the extra expense is worth it! :dance:

Tinkerfreak
03-30-2007, 06:50 PM
We only get 1 vacation @ yr and we're gonna do it right. We go every year AND stay @ deluxe resort. Not to sound pretentious, but we work hard and save $ all year for the pleasure of staying @ WDW and don't want to spend any more time on transportation than absolutely necessary! And we accomplish that by staying @ the deluxe resorts. PLus, we do spend a little more time @ the resort if we're closer! So, for us, the extra expense is worth it! :dance:

We feel the same way. Also I know alot of people have said a bed is a bed but DH and I just don't sleep well in anything smaller than a queen so the money is well worth it to us, it would be no fun to be cranky from a bad nights sleep. We do spend a few hours every afternoon at the resort swimming and relaxing so we do feel we get our moneys worth from a deluxe.

mttafire
03-30-2007, 11:15 PM
My vote is every other. Deluxe resorts are NICE:cloud9: Plus time flies and we have found that skipping a year or two makes it even MORE special!:mickey:

LoriMistress
03-31-2007, 03:19 AM
It's been four years since our last trip. And again, we're staying at a value. If it were us, we would stay at a Deluxe just because we never have, and you don't want to get "Disney out."

luvindisney
03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
We choose to go every year and stay at the pop. Maybe one day we will be in a position to stay in a deluxe, but I think I would still rather spend the extra money on something else.

We spend less than 10 hours in the room each day, so the value resorts are money well spent!

bkfree
04-02-2007, 09:50 AM
We go every other year and stay at an Epcot location deluxe. For us, it's just not the Ultimate Disney if we stay anywhere else.The location of the Epcot resorts is as big a part of the magic as the parks themselves. We go every other year for two reasons.
1) We want to keep the magic and anticipation alive and new.We never want it to be taken for granted or become mundane
2) We also have many other places in the US/Abroad that we like to take our children to see the world and that is what we do on the "Off" Disney year.
My kids love this alternating between new and exciting destinations and then the "familiar"WDW the next year.
It is really not a money issue but more of us getting the best of all the world for us.

MindyMouse
04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
As much as I'd love to go every year, I'd choose the deluxe-every-other-year option.

It's worth it to us to be comfortable and have close access that the Poly offers.

4ubie1
04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I think that i would prefer to go every other year and stay in a Deluxe resort. I guess i would like to be really spoiled every other year :princess: :D

But if i had to really choose..i think it a win-win situation. You get to go to WDW either way:thumbsup:

Goofy Dad 13
04-02-2007, 03:21 PM
We prefer the Deluxe (AKL) but I voted annaully. That is what I and DD11 would vote. DW and DD9 would vote deluxe ever other year.