PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth vs. Great Movie Ride

darthmacho
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
One depicts the history of communication, the other, the history of Hollywood movies, so which is the superior attraction, and why?

Both are classic animatronic dark rides set inside an iconic edifice, but does GMR's live actors put it over the top? Or does SE's timeless story, brilliant narration, and burning Rome effects give it the edge.

Vote, and then explain!

I can't wait to hear the answers!!!!

mrsgaribaldi
03-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I love them both:thumbsup: SE was the first Disney ride we ever went on as adults in 1998 so it has sentimental appeal for me ;) We were in awe of the ride:blush:

chrisb26
03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow this was a difficult question to answer. I chose The Great Movie Ride but it only wins by a little bit. I chose it because I love movies and the live action part of the show is my favorite part. Spaceship Earth will always be one of my all time favorites though. If I wasn't such a movie fan I would have probably picked Spaceship Earth. Great question I want to see what other people's opinions are also :thumbsup:

thrillme
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Great Movie Ride...classic movies will always be classic movies. I like the little gangster skit too.

Spaceship Earth "used to" be really awesome 20 years ago but the information it's stating is starting to get a bit "out of date". They don't need to "change" the ride but maybe update it a little to reflect something to look forward too other than stuff that's already happening.

AwPhooey
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I voted for SE as it was the first ride I ever went on at WDW. :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
03-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I chose the GMR, for the only reason that I love the movies.

SE is a great way to take a relaxing break from the heat of the day.

BelleBeauty
03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
They are both fantastic Disney classics, but SE wins for me. I think it is the amazing feeling I had growing up of actually getting to go inside the "big ball." I love the smell of Rome burning, I love the peaceful (and air conditioned) break from the hectic pace of the parks. I love that if you hit it at the right time there is no wait. All of it is wonderful! My only wish is that we could update the end now that we are in the 21st century - but I would never want to change anything, just add! :mickey:

mttafire
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
The 3rd time i ever went to Disney was in 86. I was 16, S.E. is special to me. Ive enjoyed it from close to its beginning (sort of close). I also like G.M.R. But i voted for S.E. It's simply an 80's classic.:mickey:

pogo
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I chose the GMR, for the only reason that I love the movies.

SE is a great way to take a relaxing break from the heat of the day.

:ditto:

RAIDER
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
I voted for Spaceship Earth ..... I think the Great Movie Ride needs a major facelift as to me its very dated now

disneycouple2004
03-29-2007, 03:59 PM
They are both fantastic Disney classics, but SE wins for me. I think it is the amazing feeling I had growing up of actually getting to go inside the "big ball." I love the smell of Rome burning, I love the peaceful (and air conditioned) break from the hectic pace of the parks. I love that if you hit it at the right time there is no wait. All of it is wonderful! My only wish is that we could update the end now that we are in the 21st century - but I would never want to change anything, just add! :mickey:

I agree 100%..its if this is exactly how i feel also:thumbsup:

Disnamic Duo
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
This is a really tough one. I really like both rides a lot. I gave the edge to GMR. I think it's because of the interaction with the CM's.

CraniumCommando
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I chose the Great Movie Ride, but it's close. As attractions I'd rate them pretty even. Great Movie Ride gets the nod mainly because the Spaceship Earth ride is rough and the cars are uncomfortable for me. Plus at my height (6'2") my head doesn't line up well with the speakers in the headrest, making it hard to hear the narration.

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
As stated, both are classics but I have to go with GMR. Family favorite.

animalkingdomguy
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Both are iconic and anchor attractions, but my family loves the big ball ride (my 4 yr old sons name for SSE).:thumbsup:

magicman
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
It is interesting you chose to compare these two rides, which both could be so much more if they were updated/refurbished. Currently, they are both...tired.:bored: I wouldn't change the themes of either ride, but I think they could both be so much more.

I voted for Spaceship Earth. I rode it 22 years ago for the first time, and it was INCREDIBLE.:smickey: If both rides were restored to their glory, I think Spaceship Earth could be incredible again, while The Great Movie Ride still wouldn't be a top tier attraction (IMHO:curtsy: ).

My thoughts...

LoriMistress
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I prefer GMR. Though SSE is a classic, but it's haven't been updated. Plus, the smoke mashine they use on the ride smells like rotton eggs and it burns my eyes. Thanks Walt for destroying my eye sight. :D

Jasper
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I did not cast a vote because in my mind there is no way to compare the two. I think they are both good but for very different reasons. I think they are both strong enough to stand on their own that comparing them would do both of them a disservice.

DisneyGRL7
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
While I do think the two are hard to compare, I went with SE. The whole concept of riding their the Epcot ball is very cool to me, and at times I think the GMR is a bit hokey. I do go on it every time I go to MGM though.

Damon18
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
I went with Spaceship Earth. I just really enjoy the nice, slow, relaxing ride.:thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Spaceship Earth is a classic....even if I fall asleep on it at least once a trip :sleepin:

PirateLover
03-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Erm, well, my trigger finger was too quick and I clicked on GMR, but I really meant to choose SE. I love movies, and the sets in GMR are great, but honestly, I can't stand it when I get a really bad CM, and it's happened more times than not. Now don't get me wrong, I've had some EXCELLENT guides on GMR but on the flip side I've had some really poor ones as well with grating voices and they ruin the experience for me.
I love history, and I find Jeremy Irons voice to be very soothing. So SE it is.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I love both but, Great Movie Ride is one of my favorites. I love the CM's and the Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies.

I love SE too, but, I always get a little freaked out when we get stuck (a little claustrophobic!!), especially since we always get stuck backwards!!

Touchdown
03-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Spaceship Earth: The ride is so classic, and has the added bonus of being in the second most iconic structure at WDW (the planetarium at the top when you realize you are actually at the top is amazing.)

That and my first trip to WDW when I was 5, was due to my grandfather (who I was extremely close with) coming down with lung cancer and my parents wanted to make sure we had one last vacation with him. He was allready on chemo and couldnt do any thrill rides (which he loved, and it killed him he could ride with his daredevil of a grandson.) He absolutly adored SSE, as did I and we rode it together exculsivly at least a dozen times during that trip. Everytime I step foot on that ride Im reminded of him, and it is probably the one ride closure in the entire resort that would ruin my vacation.

Crow
03-29-2007, 10:04 PM
this was hard as i like both. SE because its the Epcot icon, and reflects communication, wo which we wouldnt have movies for the GMR
but i like movies and GMR too
SE is a nice break slow...sometimes i almost fall asleep due to sun and :beer: looking forward to updated exit.

dolphinmickey9170
03-29-2007, 10:48 PM
I love it, SE is sooooooooo:cool: . I heard it twice yesterday on internet radio..:number1:

KAJUNKING
03-30-2007, 01:03 AM
se is one of my favorites at epcot, and gmr is one of my favorite rides at mgm, but i voted for se because it is iconic and it is one of the rides i remember making an impression on me on my earlier trips to wdw, horizons made the same type of memories for me, its sad it was closed!

Spaceship Tigger
03-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Definitely SE. I love the darkness of the ride, the relaxation, the narration, and the thought of travelling upwards into the sphere itself. Plus the line is usually short and fast-moving. GMR is fine but is a much shorter ride and you're sitting in a big car with a lot of other people, so it's not exactly all that relaxing to me. And we've never been on without having to wait in line.

darthmacho
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I did not cast a vote because in my mind there is no way to compare the two. I think they are both good but for very different reasons. I think they are both strong enough to stand on their own that comparing them would do both of them a disservice.

How very noncommittal of you, though you were quite adamant about not making a decision, so I suppose that counts for something. :judge:

:laughing:

Donald A
03-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I voted for SpaceShip Earth. This is only by a slight margin and may be because SE is more of a classic. When comparing the two, however, they are really similar. They each have a unique exterior. (Chinese theater and the "white ball"). They also each are major recognizable mainstays of their respectative parks. Finally, each is similar with excellent Disney animatronics.

Nate's Grandpa
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Spacesphip Earth for me. In fact, this is one of my favorite rides at Disney World.

On my first visit to Epcot in 1988, I walked right by Spaceship Earth and didn't realize it had a ride system in it! I went back several years later and noticed people lined up to ride.
I loved it then and still love it today.

The Great Movie Ride is something I always enjoy too on every visit.

Jared
03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
I voted for Spaceship Earth, but both are still relevant in their own ways. The Great Movie Ride badly needs an update. Nothing has changed, besides a few scenes in the final montage, since the attraction opened in 1989. There have been lots of great films in the last 18 years that deserve recognition.

Spaceship Earth epitomizes Epcot in every way, from the exterior to the ride within. The attraction's theme sets the mood for the entire park and represents what Epcot is about.

Belle_0717
03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I said Spaceship Earth. It would be better if they went back to Walter Cronkite narrating.

GMR needs updating - BIG TIME!

mm59
03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
We enjoy both, but Spaceship Earth is our favorite.

dumbo ears
03-30-2007, 10:57 PM
my pick was for spaceship earth. I love how it is slow moving and how it shows old animatronics but that it why it is so good. I thought it would be a closer vote between the 2 rides though

SpecJoe Magic
03-31-2007, 04:17 AM
I really enjoy both attractions, but I voted for Spaceship Earth. Something about it makes me feel the Disney magic. It should be updated a little, but it should remain mostly unchanged. I think some of my fond feelings stem from my visits to Epcot during the 80s and mid 90s. At the time there were 4 excellent omni mover attractions in Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, and Journey Into Imagination. Now Spaceship Earth is the only one left. Both Horizons and World of Motion have been replaced, and Journey into Imagination is no longer an omni mover nor is it of high quality anymore. Spaceship Earth has been changed in several ways over the years, but it remains mostly in its original state. I really like Spaceship Earth even if I don't take the nostalgia factor into account, but much of my affection for it is because it provides me with a physical link to Epcot's glorius past. In addition, I'm a big fan of omni mover attractions in general, and there are not near as many at WDW as there used to be.

future_imagineer
03-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I love GMR, but SSE is the best dark ride on the planet.

indytraveler
03-31-2007, 11:00 AM
It's been awhile since I rode on GMR while I rode SE last trip. GMR had more malfunctons during my time so I chose SE.

Jeff G
03-31-2007, 11:05 AM
I voted GMR because where else can you live the movies? Plus with GMR you get to interact with a :gangster: or a :cowboy: .

Both are up there in my favs so it was a tough choice.