PDA

View Full Version : Last minute trip planned for 4/11-4/16, no ADRs. Are we going to be able to eat?

ginams
03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on the board this week, finding lots of great tips. My mother planned this trip last minute. We are staying at POFQ 4/11-4/16. We obviously don't have any ADRs. Should I try to make some at this late date? Do I have any hope of getting anything? I know my mother would like to dine in Mexico. We are taking my DSs age 4 and 7. I've been to Epcot twice but last time was 8 years ago. We aren't doing the dining plan, mom's decision, not mine. We are considering getting a sitter for one evening. Any dining suggestions?

merlinmagic4
03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Welcome to Intercot!! I think you could still make some ADRs if you wanted to. I am going from 4/12 - 4/21 and I just made an ADR for the Princess Lunch in Epcot. I'm sure some other restaurant still have availability!

SBETigg
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
You'll have a lot better luck trying to make them now than waiting until you get there. Even if you call a few hours in advance, you may find some availability depending on the venue. But best to call ASAP. Best wishes!

ginams
03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your responses. Since we're new at this, does anyone have any suggestions for where I should try to get ADR's? Anything I shold not miss or that I should not let my boys miss?

BelleBeauty
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Our past two trips have been in August and we've decided to go at the last minute. We had less than two weeks each time and were still able to get all of our first choice ADRs. So definitely try to make them!

Your DSs will love Chef Mickey's so try to get there. Liberty Tree Tavern is a good meal if you enjoy Thanksgiving type fare. Crystal Palace for breakfast with Pooh & friends is great.

SBETigg
03-28-2007, 07:29 PM
The kids will probably like Mexico's San Angel Inn, too. I also enjoy Marrakesh in World Showcase. 'Ohana at the Polynesian for dinner is a great time for families.

May524
03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I would definetly call and make ADR's ASAP!
I think your sons would enjoy:
Crystal Palace
O'Hanas
Hoop-Dee-Doo
LTT
Let us know how your ADR's worked out! Best of luck to you and have fun on your upcoming vacation! :party:

ginams
03-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much for the great suggestions. If I could bother you all with an additional question(probably a dumb one)...I notice some of your suggestions are located at resorts and not at a park. How would one get to those resorts, as we won't have a car and I understand the buses only go to parks from POFQ?

Crow
03-29-2007, 12:12 AM
:welcome:
you can try calling before you go. avoid the smaller places for walkups like Le Cellier if you dont have an ADR.
this will b my first trip w ADRs.
since you are at POFQ you can take the boat to DD.
i usually dont have a car unless a friend visits so i use the buses. just go to a park and take a bus to the resort you wish to dine at.
theres so many good places to eat so check the menus

Raye3201
03-29-2007, 12:22 AM
I would recommend Chef Mickey's, LTT, Sci- Fi Dine In Theatre at MGM (for the atmosphere not the food - my DS (5) loved eating in cars!)

At Epcot I would recommend walking to the Beach Club resort and eating at Beaches and Cream - or at least having dessert there. It is inexpensive for table service and is a very cool ice cream parlour. They don't take ADR's as far as I know and will give you a beeper. There is an arcade that you can go to next door and there is also a tv with cartoons in the lobby of the beach club or a great beach with swings and lounges that you can go to while you wait.

Also try Club Cool at Epcot - it's not a restaurant but a place where your boys can try sodas from around the world for free. It's one of my son's favourite places. He recommends the soda named Beverly to family every time, lol. :mickey:

moe513
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
I would call and get as many adrs as you can. Also, if you dont get what you want keep trying because people cancel. I would even try the same day. I think you are going during a busy time so I would get the adrs. If you were going during a slow time I would say that you might not need them. I was surprised you even got the pofq. Its our spring break.

mjaclyn
03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Definitely call ASAP for ADR's!! As for restaurants to try with two kids - here are my suggestions:

Magic Kingdom:
Crystal Palace
Liberty Tree Tavern

Epcot:
San Angel Inn
Biergarten
Marrakesh
Coral Reef

MGM:
Sci-Fi Dine In Theater
50's Prime Time Cafe

Animal Kingdom:
Tusker House (Counter Service)
Flame Tree BBQ (Counter Service)
Rainforest Cafe

There are also LOTS of great restaurants in the resorts - If you're looking to go to any of the Magic Kingdom Resorts to eat (Polynesian, Contemporary or Grand Floridian) you can take the bus from Port Orleans to Magic Kingdom, then take the monorail from tne Magic Kingdom to one of those Resorts. As for the Epcot resorts, just take the bus from your hotel to Epcot then take the back entrance (behind the United Kingdom) to the resorts (Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin). Here are some resort restaurants that I would definitely recommend:

Polynesian:
Ohana

Contemporary:
Chef Mickey's

Beach Club:
Beaches & Cream

Wilderness Lodge (Take a ferry from Magic Kingdom to get here):
Whispering Canyon Cafe

Hope this helps you!!

Natazu
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your responses. Since we're new at this, does anyone have any suggestions for where I should try to get ADR's? Anything I shold not miss or that I should not let my boys miss?

Jym's Top-7 WDW Restaurants You Don't Want Your Boys to Miss:
7. Biergarten
6. Garden Grill
5. 50s Prime Time Café
4. Chef Mickey’s
3. Coral Reef
2. 'Ohana
1. Marrakesh

Kairi_7378
04-01-2007, 10:08 AM
I also planned a last minute trip and was frightened when everyone told me that I had to make dinner reservations 180 days in advance! When you decide what park you want to visit each day, call the ADR number. The people that I spoke to were very helpful. They were able to find reservations that fit my schedule.

I haven't been to either of these, but several friends with kids recommend the Aloha dinner show , Chef Mickey's, and the Hoop de Doo Revue.

On the days that I had ADRs, I took a change of clothes to the parks with me and rented a locker. We took park transportation to the resort with the restaurant and changed in the restroom in the lobby. (The convention restrooms in the Contemporary were perfect for this because they had large stalls and no waits!)

disneyfan1124
04-01-2007, 10:29 AM
ADR's for sure! You're heading down at a very busy time and if you don't do ADR's, you'll run a huge chance of not getting in, or waiting so long to get in that the kids will have a melt down.

The CM you speak to when making ADR's will be very helpful. Have some ideas of where and what time you want to eat, if you can be flexible with locations, you might have better chance.

Remember that Downtown Disney is an excellent place to bus hop to a resort. When going to another resort from your resort, you'll want to go to the park closest to your resort to get a bus to the resort destination of your choice.

I would caution you on Coral Reef unless the boys like sea food and fine dining. The restaurant is wonderful, but it is more fine dining than most young children care for.

Rainforest Cafe either at Downtown or AK is excellent choice-lot's to see and the service is great and interactive.

All the other suggestions are great too! You really can't go wrong, and you can't possible hit every "must eat at" place in one short trip! Relax and have fun! --but do try to make those ADR's ASAP!

Meghan
04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
If you call now you can probably get some ADR's. However if you try to just "wing it" you'll probably be stuck with quick service the whole time.

MickeyDreamer
04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
We are going the 11th thru the 17th. We have made ADR's this past week and will make another on Monday at yatchmens for dinner. There has been no problem getting what we want. We do early breakfast times and later dinner times and just usually wing it for lunches. I think this makes a diefference.

MargaretMessler
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much for the great suggestions. If I could bother you all with an additional question(probably a dumb one)...I notice some of your suggestions are located at resorts and not at a park. How would one get to those resorts, as we won't have a car and I understand the buses only go to parks from POFQ?

There are options for getting to other resorts other than driving. You can bus to DTD and then take the bus to your destination resort from there. It's a longer trip sometimes, but an option. Depending on where you're going, there are other options. If you're dining at a monorail resort, spend the day at MK, take the monorail to the resort you're dining at, then when you're done, back to the park to head back to POFQ. Some resorts are a walk from EPCOT or a boat ride from MGM, etc. They should be able to give you a transportation guide at check-in, or else I'm sure it can be found online as well.

Brian
04-02-2007, 09:28 AM

There are several ways to get from resort to resort. I think Disney's response is to take a bus to Downtown Disney and then transfer to the bus for the resort you are going to. This works, but there are some nicer (and usually more fun) ways to travel.

For example, if you're dining at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, or Contemporary, you can take a bus to the Magic Kingdom. From there, you can take the Resort monorail to any of these resorts. If you're dining at Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness, you would again take a bus to the Magic Kingdom, and then catch a boat to either of these two places.

If you're dining at Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk, or the Swan/Dolphin, you can take a bus to Disney-MGM Studios and then take a boat to these resorts. (They also have miniature golf near the Swan/Dolphin, which is fun to play after a nice meal.)

From POFQ to Downtown Disney, you can take a boat. I believe the boat starts running at 4:00 p.m., so before that, I'm assuming that they run a bus. (We haven't stayed at POFQ in a while, so I don't recall the hours of the boat. We're actually staying there again the week after your trip! :mickey: )

Anyhow, you'll find that it's pretty easy to get around. Typically, though, it will involve some type of transfer. One thing to keep in mind though is that resort-to-resort traveling can be VERY time consuming, so plan accordingly.

If you make any dining reservations and need help figuring out how to get to your destination, post back here on Intercot. There's plenty of us who can help.

ginams
04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I really appreciate all of the great suggestions. So far, I have several ADRs. Le Cellier for lunch(couldn't get dinner) San Angel Inn for a late dinner....we will be sooo stuffed that day but my mom really wanted San Angel Inn. Hollywood and Vine for Fantasmic package(couldn't get Mama Melrose but I'm gonna call back and see if there are any cancellations). Also have O'hana for character breakfast. I need one more dinner. I'm thinking Boma maybe. I also have a reservation for my boys at the Neverland Club for an evening. Sassagoula River adventure is also happening for them.

Any changes I should make?

Gina

vamaggie
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
We really love Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. The boys will have a great time! Take the boat from MK and spend some time enjoying the atmosphere at WL. You can also take the boat to Fort Wilderness--there is a lot to do there too.

Natazu
04-03-2007, 01:44 AM
How would one get to those resorts, as we won't have a car and I understand the buses only go to parks from POFQ?
I'm going to send you a link that will help with your transporation needs at WDW. If you have any questions about it, just ask.