PDA

View Full Version : Question for Solo Travelers

DisneyMomx2
03-28-2007, 02:26 PM
What's it like?????

I don't think I could ever do it by myself but I am so fascinated by those that do it.

My DH says it would be a dream for him to go to WDW by himself once to see what it is like but I am such a needy people person (can't even drive home without calling someone to talk to) lol that I don't know how I would handle it.

Anyway, I always wanted to ask. I'd love to here personal experiences.

Thanks!!

Goofeygal
03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I went once solo for a couple days and had an absolute blast. You can come and go and see what YOU want!!!!! You would enjoy it. I want to do it again.

Dopey's Girl
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
I just got back from a solo trip last week and had a blast! I woke up when I wanted, went to what ever park I wanted, rode when I wanted, ate when I wanted...seeing a pattern? It was so nice not having to compromise...I love my family, but every trip there is something I want to linger over (for example World Showcase in Epcot) or ride (Carousel of Progress) that no one else wants too, so we move along. When I was there alone, if I wanted to spend an hour and half in Japan I could (and did!)!

It also forced me to enjoy the company of strangers. Generally I would just talk to my traveling party, but this time, I met some really fun people in lines, on busses, while eating, that I would have never chatted with had I not been alone! It was wonderful!

I know solo trips aren't for everyone, and even I couldn't go for more than 4 or 5 nights by myself, but for a short trip, it was great, and I can't wait to do it again!

Sylvia
03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Dopey's Girl, I know exactly what you mean.

I travel solo to WDW regularly, and usually for anywhere from 7 to 14 days. Travelling solo for me means:

Being able to get a last-minute table at my favorite WDW restaurant (50's Prime Time). :eat: On my last trip (September-October 2006), I was at the Studios and decided I really didn't want CS food for dinner. So I boldly went to 50's Prime Time at dinner time and inquired about the possibility of a table for one for dinner. It was definitely my day - I waited approximately 10 minutes! I also had a server who really liked to play the part, so not only did I have a great meal, but I also had some great entertainment to go along with it.:thumbsup:

Waking up in the morning, deciding I want to sleep in :sleepin:, going back to sleep without requesting a wake-up call - the last time I did this, I didn't wake up until noon! My only regret - missing my Mickey waffle breakfast.:mickey:

I've vacationed in WDW so often, that I'm not compelled to see and do everything on every visit. A fun thing to do, at least for me, is to plan nothing in advance. When I do this, I go to the resort bus stop and take whichever bus comes along first. I've had some unexpectedly great trips doing this. This isn't for everyone, but if you're feeling adventurous, try it - you may like it. :joy:

Not always using a part map or checking the entertainment schedule. When I do this, I wander around the theme park and enjoy all the sights and sounds that I might otherwise miss if I were tied to a schedule. Again, this isn't for everyone, but for me, it's very enjoyable.:cloud9:

Being able to do what I want, when I want, and as many times as I want.:yay:

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Don't get me wrong, I love travelling with family and friends, but I also love the luxury of travelling solo. WDW is the best place to visit solo. I've met so many great people from all over the world.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I haven't gone solo yet, but it is definitely something I would be comfortable doing. I feel safe there because I know my way around.
But I would miss having family/friends to talk to, someone to share everything with. But I can see myself doing it if there isn't anyone to go with me.

DizRunner
04-01-2007, 04:16 PM
In 2004 I went with a couple to run the marathon. While I wasn't actually solo half of the trip, I did do the MK solo.

Then in 2006 I did the half-marathon solo.

Got to WDW early on Friday and left on Monday morning.

I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. I kept telling myself "you're here, enjoy and remember this." You see, I'm 40 years young, married with a two year old. And while I have a great time with my wife at Disney World...and I can't wait until we go with my son, I'm a kid at heart and it's just incredible to be able to do whatever, whenever at Disney World.

When I checked in at Pop and got to my room, I closed the door and started jumping for joy. I couldn't believe I was there with two and a half days of doing whatever I wanted. I was like a kid in a candy store.

EPCOT was fantastic after my run.

But on Sunday at the MK, I want to tell you that I spent 13 hours there and rode 20 rides and attractions. That would never happen with my wife. I just went from one to the other...boom, boom, boom. But yet took the time to leave the park, take the monorail to the Contemporary and enjoy it, especially the tile mosaic. I just love the Contemporary. I even took some down time to people watch and talk with castmembers. It was wonderful.

My wife knows how much I love Disney and running and has no problem with me going down there every other year. She's wonderful.

My next trip is in January 2008. So looking forward to it.