PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Check-In Idea!

Granny Jill A
03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Having spent many golden minutes shuffling through check-in lines at the resort, I have an idea (not original, I'm sure) for speeding up the actual check-in process.

1. Have some CM's totally dedicated to just checking people into their rooms. They will not answer questions about tickets, park hours, pizza delivery, the nearest gas station, where to get Mickey ears, or any other topics. They will just check people in.

2. Have CM's on hand to answer questions such as those listed above. They can set it up so that folks in line to check in will automatically be directed to the Q&A people if they need further information.

3. They can also set up kiosks that will answer the most frequently asked questions, in any language.

What do you think?

battle beast
03-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I never had a problem when I went in October, but then again it was only once. However, I do think that there are busy times, and ANYTHING they do would be beneficial. THe things you listed are a step in the right direction.

Seasonscraps
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't think it will work. I can't see guests being happy with waiting on a second line for sometimes "just one question" nor could I see a CM saying no to answering a simple question.

GrumpyFan
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
As much as I like the idea of having an "Express Check-In line", this idea goes against the Disney guest relations philosophy of not passing off guests to someone else to solve a problem. It's just not good business or customer service, but then neither are long lines.

One idea I think might be worth examining, would be to have computer kiosks in the hotel lobby that could print room keys/tickets. Or, if you were using DME, maybe have a basic information package with room keys/tickets available at the airport when you arrive at the DME station. Then, if you had changes or questions, you could always go to the check-in desk or information desk at the resort when you got there.

lindique
03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Actually, they do have a special line for questions - it's the lobby concierge!

TammiMcMan
03-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Actually, they do have a special line for questions - it's the lobby concierge!:thumbsup: Formerly known as the guest services desk. They'll answer any questions and also help with ADR's or even printing out boarding passes.

caryrae
03-28-2007, 07:47 PM
One idea I think might be worth examining, would be to have computer kiosks in the hotel lobby that could print room keys/tickets. Or, if you were using DME, maybe have a basic information package with room keys/tickets available at the airport when you arrive at the DME station. Then, if you had changes or questions, you could always go to the check-in desk or information desk at the resort when you got there.

I was thinking the same thing. If airlines can have computer check-in Disney should be able to come up with something. I suppose the hard part may be having the computer print out the credit card type room key. Even some movie theaters have computers were you can print out movie tickets in there lobby.

13tink13
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
What's the earliest you have ever dropped your luggage off at a resort?

And was it in your room when you finally got in?

wdwnomad
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Didn't the Polynesian run some sort of test run of an express check-in during the winter? If I remember correctly I think you could call a couple days before check-in and get your room number. Never really heard much about it except they were trying it. Anybody hear how it went?

TammiMcMan
03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
What's the earliest you have ever dropped your luggage off at a resort?We've arrived as early as 9am at the resort. Bell hops stored our luggage with no problem.

And was it in your room when you finally got in?I don't know if each resort is handled differently, but we've always had to call down for our luggage. It's never been placed in our room without us being present.

Raye3201
03-28-2007, 11:34 PM
With the DME service, we have checked in fairly early (around 11 am) and when we returned from the parks our luggage was waiting in our room...it was a very nice convenience.:mickey:

CleveSJM
03-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Self service kiosk's for the "experienced" Disney guest is what they need. Your option to speak to a human or go tech... I'd bet on seeing these within a few years.

Also, really think about traffic flow with these type of units... Maybe a special alcove or area like a FastPass area...

Granny Jill A
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't think it will work. I can't see guests being happy with waiting on a second line for sometimes "just one question" nor could I see a CM saying no to answering a simple question.

I have no problem with CM's answering a simple question. I've had them myself. But the check-in process is unnecessarily lengthened by folks who have a whole itinerary to discuss.

And GrumpyFan stated -- "As much as I like the idea of having an "Express Check-In line", this idea goes against the Disney guest relations philosophy of not passing off guests to someone else to solve a problem. It's just not good business or customer service, but then neither are long lines."

I'm not advocating passing someone off to solve a problem. What I'm suggesting is they have lines specifically for Checking In, so people who just want to get to their room can do so with a shorter wait.

DisneyDudet
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Recently, we have not had a problem at all with check in. Possibly when DME has a mass exodus of the bus, therein lies the problem. But I don't remember standing in line since we stayed at POR way back when. I did have a slight ling at ASSp Jan 06, but that was because it was early morning, in Jan, and there were more "earing my ears" staff there, so it was learning... plus.. the comps weren't connecting to the printers.

I don't know what problems you have been experiencing, but if its quite slow, you could possibly speak to someone and kindly tell them it is taking a while.

But really, maybe this is "seasoning" you with the inevitable standing in lines once you get in the parks :cool: I'm kidding.

mac badger
03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Didn't the Polynesian run some sort of test run of an express check-in during the winter? If I remember correctly I think you could call a couple days before check-in and get your room number. Never really heard much about it except they were trying it. Anybody hear how it went?

we went in december and got to use the express check in. we called and gave our credit card that we'd be using, gave our room request, then when we arrived there was a special line with a person just for checking in the pre registered folks. it took all of 1 minute to check in, it was great. i hope they will expand the program, i was very happy with it

DizneyRox
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I've also seen some management types working the check-in lines making sure people were in the correct line, etc.

This was at AKL, which I do think is better run than most of the the other resorts. Maybe something they should do at the others.

Granny Jill A
03-30-2007, 08:48 AM
we went in december and got to use the express check in. we called and gave our credit card that we'd be using, gave our room request, then when we arrived there was a special line with a person just for checking in the pre registered folks. it took all of 1 minute to check in, it was great. i hope they will expand the program, i was very happy with it

That's a great idea! Perhaps my problem is with my resort, Pop Century. No matter what time of day or day of the week I choose to arrive, there is ALWAYS a huge line, it takes a long time to process everyone. I ran into the trainee situation at Pop 2 out of the 3 times I've checked in. I'm hoping Disney looks at the whole process and figures out a way to fast-track the pros who want to get to their rooms, unpack, and THEN go stand in lines in the parks. :blush: