PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Disney in June

kageese
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Need some advice.

This could possibly be our (normally 2 adults no kids)11th trip to DW. We usually go at the beginning of May and do really well.

However, we have an opportunity to share this experience with our niece and nephews, brother, sister-in-law and mother (my husbands family). They can only go when everyone else is off in June. We've always avoided the summer because of crowds, heat etc.

Any advice? :confused:

I would really like to do this for my husband, but I am really afraid the crowds and heat will ruin the total experience for everyone.

Dates being considered are June 5 thru 13th

PS My husband & I will most likely drive from Chicago.

AuntDJ
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Having been the last two June's here is what I got:

Expect it to be HOT...therefore, plan on being up early, hit the parks, take a swim/nap break in the heat of the day, and spend the evenings at the parks again..

Invest in a water fan...you can get these at walmart or Target, but we have always bought the ones from the parks (about 15 bucks). I don't think I coulda made it without it!

Crowds....more than in May, with the proper use of fast pass, you should be fine.

Given the choice, I would go in May but the chance to experience WDW with the family and with kids, a chance I wouldn't pass up!

Also, I would suggest reading the travelling with extended family thread in the vacation planning forum. It has some very helpful tips!

One more thing, I think Star War Weekends will be going on while you are there, so if you are NOT interested in this, stay away from that area of MGM..if you ARE interested, plan a separate day for actual MGM activities. We have done this both years and really enjoyed it, but the crowds are large in the Star Tours area.

have a great trip!
DJ

kageese
03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
DJ
Thanks for those tips!:thumbsup:

slt21
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Basically, I agree with what DJ said.

As someone who lived in FL for years, I really don't find there to be too much of a difference heat-wise between May and early June. If you (or others in your party) get hot easily, I completely agree with getting a misting fan. As already said, you can buy one in the parks for (they were $18 last time I was there), or you can easily buy one for about $4-$6 at your local Wal-Mart or Target. Personally, I like to buy the cheap ones: it gives you more money to spend in the parks on the "fun stuff." If you have younger kids in your party, you can buy Disney stickers and let them decorate their fans - you'll have "Disneytized" fans at a lesser price. Also, I frequently end up breaking mine before my next trip, so that's another reason to buy the cheap ones (which reminds me: if you go for the cheap ones, buy a spare. You can leave it in the room if you'd like, but it gives you a spare if someone breaks theirs while in the park, without having to shell out 20 bucks).

You can find plenty of other cooling products as well. One idea I really like is the "cooling bandanas" (you can search Google or Amazon and find them easily). They're usually made of polymer crystals (perfectly safe) wrapped in fabric. You soak them for about a half hour, and they then stay wet for hours. Tie one around your neck and it will help cool the major blood vessels you have there, thus making your whole body cooler.

Also, as far as what to wear, I suggest wearing athletic-style clothing, especially the kinds that are specifically designed to keep you cool (just check out some of the major brands and you'll have no problem finding them). I wear the workout capri pants, a moisture-wicking tank top, and a cotton t-shirt (to give my university some free advertising, lol), and I stay very comfortable. Make sure you have comfortable footwear, as well: a lot of people suggest sneakers, but I prefer a pair of comfortable, well-worn flip-flops for the summertime - sneakers and socks can get your feet hot and sweaty very quickly, and that promotes blisters and general discomfort. If you prefer sneakers, I suggest bringing a change of socks with you for a midday change. Personally, I have the flip flops by Crocs, and I absolutely love them; I can wear them for 8 hours without blistering. Definitely bring moleskin, regardless; it's good for covering up any sore spot.

As far as crowds go: yes, it is crowded, but I find June much easier to manage than July or even early August. Make good use of the FPs. If you have someone in your party with plenty of energy you may want to designate them as a "FastPass Fetcher" - someone who carries all the tickets and runs and gets FPs for the rest of the party. This saves time and effort.

More than anything, don't be afraid to take breaks, whether it's going back to your hotel midday or just grabbing a drink at a counter service restaurant and sitting down for a few minutes. It's better to not see everything and actually enjoy your trip than to get everything done and be so tired and stressed out that you don't really enjoy it.

Disney has a reputation of being unbearable during the summer, but if you don't push yourselves too hard, make sure you stay cool, and utilize FPs then you'll have a great time.

goofiecrazy
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
As soon as u get in the parks have one person in ur group take everyones tickets and get fass passes for the rides that have it . That way not everybody in the group is trying get a fass pass at the same time.
Take a break in the afternoon to recharge.
With the crowds u might not get every thing done so just take ur time.
Drink alot of water try bringing ur own water bottle and snacks for the kids that will save u $$.
Eat ur meals early before the rest of the crowds eat.
Character meal is a must for the little kids.
Have fun and enjoy..

kageese
03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks--More great suggestions.

My biggest concern is that is will be so crowded you can't move. We were there once during a Thanksgiving holday (1994?) and there was a definite crowd difference--tempers were pretty bad at times.

Dining--that's my other concern. Normally in May we have the flexibilty of making dining arrangements the same day or the day prior while we are there. Will we have to make all our dining plans prior to arriving (with the exception of "fast food" meals, of course)?

AuntDJ
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
kageese~

I have never been in May, but 2 June's ago, we had no problems making ADR's the day we wanted. Last June, I called about 90 days out and still got Cinderella's castle...maybe it was a fluke but I got it...Also we walked into Planet Hollywood one night. There were only 2 of us, but we did not have any problems.

Crowds~ I have been the first week of December..nonexsistent crowds, 3 weeks ago...some crowds (wait times 20 min most rides/60 for Soarin)...in early June..fairly crowded. I have never been wall to wall people, but it was croweded. I really think the heat compounded it. Wait for Soarin was 80 min at one time. But like I have said, with Fastpasses, we managed to NOT wait in lines like that....

Now, I am from Texas and it is humid here, but as soon as I walked out the door at WDW, I felt as if I were in a sauna. However, it must not have bothered me too much, because I am planning my next trip of Aug '08...

DJ

Beast_fanatic
03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
For that many people I think you will need to make ADRs at the places that you really care about dining together. I'd suggest at least one character meal (depending on the ages of the kids).

The earlier in June that you can go, the better.

bratmaster
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
hey, we have a lot in common! We are also drving down from suburbian chicago; we leave june 1st but will actually hit the parks the 4th-13th. I have the same concerns as you, but we went last time in october becasue it would supposedly be less crowded, and boy, was i wrong! wait time in MK were usually 30 minutes, with sometimes getting up to 90minutes. It was ridiculous for the supposed "off-season". So i figured maybe reverse psychology will work here and people will avoid june! Actually i am more worried about the rain and unbearable humidity i have heard about in june. I think i can stand the heat more that i can the rain. But we haven't much option - i refused to pull my kids out of school for 2 weeks, so the summer is our only option. we leave the day they get out of school; we were trying to still go as early in june as possible.

KylesMom
03-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I would also agree that the temperature difference between May & June is negligible. Crowds will be manageable - utilize FastPass if the lines are out of control and keep hydrated. It helps that the parks are open later in June and that the parades are on a nightly schedule. I think it's a great opportunity to spend time with DH's family - enjoy!:mickey:

rsumrall
03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
These are all great suggestions. Let me add a few of my own. We were there the exact same time frame 2 Junes ago. We've also been in May. May is HUGELY better!!! But a Disney trip is a Disney trip...

Dining - Make your ADRs ahead of time. if you want to try and change "day of" you can try, but at least you'll have something to fall back on. Also, consider eating at different times to beat the crowds.

Heat - It will be hot and humid. As said before, go early and late. Skip the afternoons. I'm not sure what part of the country you are from, but the humidity along the Gulf is more than most people can bear.

Gay Pride Days - Being that you are going with nephews, be aware that this week is Gay Pride Week. We did not prepare my kids beforehand (who have been sheltered from many potentially-confusing scenarios facing our culture) and had to address some difficult questions in less than ideal discussion opportunities. Just be aware and maybe take this as an opportunity to have a healthy conversation before the trip.

You'll have a great trip!

DisneyDudet
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
We usually go the first week in June.. starting the last week in may.

You will notice the crowds getting heavier by the day, but if you plan right and utilize FP, you will minimize your wait time quite a bit.

One thing you must do is get to the parks before opening. Most people would rather get there late and so you have a head up on a few people by getting there early. This will allow you at least a few rides w/o much of a wait.

If you designate a FP getter, make sure everyone's tickets are signed or have their names on it. With the use of biometrics, you can't afford to get them mixed up.

If the wait is 20-25 min or less, do standby. You won't have to wait for 3 hours for your fastpass time to come up if you do it this way, which will allow you a FP for a longer waiting ride, or you can get a FP and ride standby and come back w/ you FP later.

Naps and breaks are essential. We don't have any kids, but when we go in the summer, we do breaks every day. This may include a swim, or a nap, or both! I get so energized taking a nap at the pool! We have a car, and tend to go off site at mc donalds or chick fil a to eat a dinner. Its cheaper and give a little break from park fare.

We bring our own waterbottles and fill up on water from the park. It doesn't taste so great, but when you're hot and waiting in line, anything wet and coolish will do.

Prepare for rain showers. If you go in May, you've probably experienced this. Don't leave the parks while its going. We usually hop into a store or covered area, wait a few min to see if it passes. If it doesn't, the panchos come on and we continue going. You may want to pack extra socks in a backpack in case the water soaks through. Your feet will thank you.

We haven't used misting fans, but we sometimes have a little fan we use. I'm pretty cheap, and those little bins filled w/ ice that they try to keep the water cool, i take some of the ice and put it on my neck as we walk by.. works for me! Same thing w/ my drinks.. once i drink everything.. i stilltake the cup to use the ice.

The crowds really aren't so bad. I mean, we have experience crowds, but if you use the FP and plan things right, you can miss the crowds. We all will help with that! You are going for quite a few days, so that helps. If you don't see everything, just try to get it again.

Most of all, enjoy your family.

slt21
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Gay Pride Days - Being that you are going with nephews, be aware that this week is Gay Pride Week. We did not prepare my kids beforehand (who have been sheltered from many potentially-confusing scenarios facing our culture) and had to address some difficult questions in less than ideal discussion opportunities. Just be aware and maybe take this as an opportunity to have a healthy conversation before the trip.

Actually, Gay Days are May 29th-June 4th this year (according to their website). The original poster said that the date of their trip is June 5th-13th.

rsumrall
03-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry, I missed the date I guess.

disneymom2000
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I went one time in June because we were taking some other kiddos who could only go in the summer. NEVER AGAIN. That was the worst trip (if there could really be such a thing at Disney) I ever had. I either go at the beginning of May or Sept or October. We tried three times to get into Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon and it was always at capacity. :crowd: