PDA

View Full Version : Shop in WS Japan to find pearl

Disneyatic
03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I read on a thread that there is a shop in Japan at the WS that you can pick a pearl and then have a necklace or something made out of it.
Can anyone give me details on this? Is it really pricey?
Thanks!!

MsMin
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
It's not real pricey and a lot of fun. We did it last Dec. My girls really enjoyed it and want to do it again. I think it was 14.95 an oyster?? Most of the settings are about 20. Of course they have some better ones that run up in price.

TIdoubleGR
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I did this about a year ago- lots of fun. The ladies at the counter walk you through the processes, cut it open and clean it right in front of you, explain about how they are sized, and announce your new pearl by striking a mini-gong.

The oyster was right around $14. I didn't have mine set (I wanted to wait), but I believe they had a wide range of settings and prices. Some settings were definitely more expensive than others, but you had a wide selection to choose from.

tinksmom02
03-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I did this about a year ago- lots of fun. The ladies at the counter walk you through the processes, cut it open and clean it right in front of you, explain about how they are sized, and announce your new pearl by striking a mini-gong.

The oyster was right around $14. I didn't have mine set (I wanted to wait), but I believe they had a wide range of settings and prices. Some settings were definitely more expensive than others, but you had a wide selection to choose from.

all of the above is true...there are other places in the world to pick an oyster (there's a kiosk in DTD and i think there's another place, too), but I made DD wait until Japan, and I'm glad I did. They made a little fuss over it, and banged the gong, etc. DD was so excited about it, and her pearl was actually a decent size, too! We chose the cheapest setting (she's only 4, after all! :blush: ) for a pendent and picked out a chain, too (everything is seperate)...I think it was $40 all together, pearl included, sterling silver setting and chain. A little pricey, yes, but I think it was worth it.

Matter of fact, I regret that I didn't make one, too...I've already borrowed DD's more than once! :secret:

Disneyatic
03-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Thank you to everyone for the great information!
I am so excited about this and can't wait to take DD! $40 is definitely affordable, I was hoping we'd be able to get out for under $75 or $100 so this is great and maybe I can get one too!

TBY2225
03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
My DD4 did this last September and it was a highlight of her trip. They really do make a big deal out of the whole process of picking and opening an oyster. My DD picked out a butterfly necklace charm to put her oyster in. It cost about $45 for the oyster and the setting. We were very impressed. A definate must do!

angedeaile
03-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Odd question for ya....

What if you already have a pearl and just want a setting? Is that possible?

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Pick a pearl is one of my family traditions in WS! I have earings, a necklace and 2 rings, and I can't wait to get another in September! Just try to get there as close to 12:30 as you can. That is when they open and they get busy really fast! You pay for the pearl at one of the registers, then bring the reciept to the pearl women, and they help you take care of the rest! It takes about an hour to get things set, and then they give you care instructions, and ask that you don't wear the item for 24 hours so they have time to cure (they use glue in most of the settings). I love all my stuff and can't wait to add to my collection!

Wolf
04-01-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm confused, I've seen this but never done it, so there are always pearls in the oysters?

prttynpnk
04-01-2007, 07:30 AM
They really make their money on the settings, so I believe that these oysters are cultivated for production (or whatever you call that) and they just about always have at least 1 pearl.
I got an oyster with 2 last year.:mickey:

Roo Girl
04-03-2007, 01:01 PM
It is like a mini show in itself. It's approx. $14 to pick the oyster shell. I was lucky enough to pick an oyster with 2 pearls in it of exact size and color. EARINGS!! To mount into earings cost $9.99. So for $24 I have gorgeous pearl earings from WDW that I picked myself! No guarantees of course that you'll get 2 pearls in one shell but it is fun nonetheless.:mickey:

Wolf
04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Any of yall got pictures of the finished stuff or even the process?

Figgyluv03
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure if they still have it, but they one at CBR when I was working there. I was thinking about getting one, but my fiance at the time had already given me one that was a little box set that had the oyster in there and it came with a necklace and instructions.

Kristi Kay
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I honestly don't know about Japan, but I know you can do this at DTD, Marketplace. It's between Captn' Jacks Resturant and the Margarita Shack.:mickey: