PDA

View Full Version : Poly or Grand Floridian?

flying carpet
03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I notice many people taking about the Poly. would you vote Poly over Grand Floridian? We are staying at Grand Floridian our first expensive trip with the kids. We usually stay at a value resort because we wear the soals off our shoes at the parks and are not at the hotel much. Should we be going poly instead of GF? HELP :confused:

faline
03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
If you're not going to spend any, or much, time at your resort, I'd definitely save the money and stay at the Poly.

I've stayed at both resorts and both are lovely. For the most part, I'd probably choose the Poly over the Grand Floridian.

Did you mean you were going without the kids? In that case, I might splurge and pick the Grand Floridian.

SBETigg
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
My family loves both resorts. The adults prefer the Grand Floridian, the kids adore the Polynesian. But we really love them both. Both good choices.

The two resorts have very different feels. The Polynesian is lush and relaxing. The grounds are spread out and lovely. You really feel removed from everything and as if you are away on a tropical vacation-- but then, wow, there's the MK! Transportation options are fantastic at both resorts, but best from the Polynesian due to the TTC being in walking distance.

The Grand Floridian is relaxed elegance. Comfortable, but you feel pampered and spoiled. I love the pools at both resorts, but the GF has the hot tub (two actually, one at the spa). To make the decision, you really need to ask yourself what kind of vacation you really want. A more upscale, fancy resort that makes you feel comfortable and at home OR a lush tropical getaway? Both are great choices and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed at either one.

One extra note- if you're staying at either one of these resorts, you may want to take some more time to enjoy the resort. It's just not a place to rest after parks. Make it a part of your vacation. Also, the transportation options, especially to the MK and Epcot, are so easy and enjoyable that you will probably feel you are making up some of the cost right there. Enjoy!

Goofeygal
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I agree save money and stay at the poly.

WDW1985
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree save money and stay at the poly.

With a regular season garden view room costing $385/n at the GF and $425/n at the Poly (plus a 12.5% tax) I would say it's all about enjoying the resort and less about saving money. If you're willing to fork out that kind of money, you should enjoy the place your staying in to the fullest. Both resorts are wonderful, but still different. Go to the tikiman's poly website for a detailed look at the poly before you decide. The Poly has a more relaxed feel and probably suits the family more, but others may disagree. The GF is elegant and classy, but still has all the family amenities.

Remember one thing. You can't go wrong with either resort, because more than anything you are paying for location, location, location! After that long day in the park you will be sleeping long before many are even off the bus! Have a wonderful trip!

:mickey:

guiness
03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Our family fav is the gf. Don't get me wrong- we love all the resorts- but if we have some extra dough it's the gf hands down. No matter which resort you choose do try to take a day just to hang out at the resort. I think It adds to the disney magic. My kids look forward to the resort as much as they do the parks.

Brenle
03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Check out the rooms of both hotels on the WDW website. That should help you a lot. I found the Polynesian to be a more laid-back tropical hotel, the GF is more upscale. There's a pianist in the foyer for goodness sakes. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a hotel. You can't lose, whichever you choose. Have a great vacation

cinderellagrl
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Just got back from the Grand Flo about a month ago.... it was love at first sight! Ah.. what a beautiful resort... just beautiful!

Oh no... but then again the Poly, how I do love the poly... you have a great question to ponder!
I say stick with your first instinct, go to the GF. In some amount of years it might be possible to come back and stay at the Poly. The GF is just gorgeous, and the kids will feel like royalty.. not to mention yourself!

wifey5794
03-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Our family favorite is the GF. My kids love its proximity to MK and one LOVES the monorail while the other LOVES the boat. We do spend some time at the resort swimming and relaxing. We stayed at a value in Oct. 06 and won't stay there again. My DH husband used to travel a lot for his job and he likes the extra space you get at the GF. I have to say, I love the SPA and the beds! Much more comfortable than any other I have ever stayed in at Disney and that is many since we have gone at least once a year FOREVER it seems. Try it and enjoy the resort itself!
You won't be disappointed!

MNNHFLTX
03-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Both resorts are very nice, but I admit that I have a preference for the Polynesian. I enjoy it's relaxed atmosphere, the volcano pool, love the Kona Cafe, and you can walk to the TTC from there and catch a monorail directly to Epcot, if you wish. And the rooms are a little bigger. :lei:

MR.MIKE
03-31-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been to both and couldn't make up my mind so we planned a vacation to each one this summer!!

A Big Kid
03-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Poly for the better transportation options.
Poly for tonga toast.
Poly for REAL coffee.
Poly rocks the most!.

future_imagineer
04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
We love the GF; it is amazing. However, I agree that if you don't spend much time at the resort, than saving some money (Poly) would be the better. Personally, we are the type of people who spend a lot of time using what the resort has to offer.

disneygoofball
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I've stayed at both resorts, and definitely have to recommend the Polynesian over the Grand Floridian. We even got a complimentary upgrade to concierge at GF but still prefer the Poly. The remodeled rooms are very nice, and it has a wonderfully tropical feel to it. Personally, when we stayed at the Poly, I didn't always want to leave the resort for the parks. I was quite happy hanging out in my own little Hawaii. :tikki:

princessjojo
04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I am so glad you posed this question. Ever since DH has given me the go ahead to plan another trip for '08, I have been planning for us to stay at the Poly. He mentioned thought that he would like to really stay at the Grand Fl. I love the look and feel of the Poly and it makes O'hana oh so close (yum, yum), but on the other hand, Grand Fl. would be nice. I am tossing this around as well. For me I think though, if all comes down to who has what I want when I want it for the best price, and really, the prices will be so close I don't think this will matter either. Oh I can't wait!!!

LoriR
04-03-2007, 06:45 PM
I just stayed at both resorts last month-- 4 nights at the GF (concierge, Sugar Loaf) and then 4 nights at the Polynesian. We all preferred the Polynesian, hands down. The rooms are much bigger, the bathrooms are much larger (yes the sink is inside, but you have much more space and the toilet is separated from the shower by a wall). The beds are EXACTLY the same, though they are triple-sheeted at the GF, and just regular sheets at the Poly. (And very comfortable, I might add). the Poly rooms were in much nicer condition since they have been rehabbed more recently-- for example, the flatscreen TV instead of the regular kind. More drawer and closet space in the Poly. The GF offers you a minibar but you need to request an empty fridge that they will bring you if you need one-- Poly has fridge built into the new wall unit.

My kids are boys ages 7 and 4 and they loved the volcano pool. The liked the GF pool too, but it was a much further walk from our room. The beaches are pretty much the same. We prefer Kona cafe to any restaurant at the GF (with kids), and we have been to all of them, except for V & A.

If you have girly girls, go fotr the GF. It's very nice. If you have more adventuresome types in your party, and want the feel of a more faraway place, go with the Poly. the Hawaiian music, the tiki torches lit at night, the leis, all contribute to the feeling that you are somewhere else. The GF is nice, but it's a big, more impersonal hotel.

You really cannot go wrong either way-- check out all the photos you can and choose the one that feels like more fun to you! I have always wanted to stay at the GF instead of the Poly and always get outvoted by my three boys (I am including DH). But now that I have stayed there, I can honestly say I prefer the Polynesian!

poeticeclipse
04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I think both are great choices for different reasons. What you really have to figure out is what is most important to you. And what atmosphere do you want on your vacation? Just because you want it to feel "upscale" doesn't really mean that GL is the best option. The Poly is just as fancy, just in a less obvious way. With the newly remodeled rooms at the Poly, it might be a fun experience to enjoy the lush relaxation that the Poly can provide.

If you really want upscale elegance then you could easily spend a little extra and go with GL. The lobby is wonderful and the rooms are spacious. I just feel that kids wouldn't love GL as much as the Poly but adults might enjoy it a bit more.

Bruegge
04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Don't forget the Poly was recently rehabed and received it's 4 star rating again..

If it were me I'd try the poly again just to see how well they rehabed it.

Then again...

The GF IS the peach in the fruit basket ... DW would love to stay there and hit the spa for a couple of hours without having to "leave and go back to HER hotel"

I guess you girls can relate to what she means??

Sorry, tough choice.... guess I'm not much help.

Scott

LoriR
04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
From the Poly, you can take either monorail and go to the MK or to Epcot. From the GF, you'd take the monorail to the TTC and then switch. Not a big deal either way, but it's nice to have access to both if you spend time at both parks.

tnpoohbear
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM
We just came back from the GF three weeks ago and we have never stayed at the Poly but I definitely want to. It was DD 16th birthday and she wanted to stay at the GF to celebrate. It is very beautiful and they treated us all so special and especially her since it was her birthday. I am glad I stayed there one time but I do not think I would stay there again. Even with my AP discount it was just too expensive and not quite worth the money to me. I tried to convince DD to stay at the Poly but she would not budge.

I think if I were spending alot of time at the hotel then it would be worth it but we just simply did not have enough time to really enjoy all the benefits of the hotel. Just Dd and I are going in October and we are staying at ASM - the funny thing is that I like this resort as much as the more expensive ones!
:mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
04-10-2007, 07:01 AM
The GF!! Depending upon how old your kids are - they'll love the GF. I actually think the younger kids (especially girls) will love it. Teenagers might think it's boring. It was convenient for our family since there were so many character meals right in the hotel. My daughter loved the meals and loved the sudden sightings of a character wandering the grounds. Also, my preschooler loved the overall light and airy feel and thought parts of the Poly were "a little spooky". I personally am thinking of convincing my husband to try the Poly next time, but our trip in the GF was so perfect, we don't want to mess with perfection!

cinderella crazy
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
For me, (keep in mind I have not stayed at either but will be going to Poly in Sept.), if I were celebrating something special and could afford it, I would stay at GF. If I weren't celebrating, I would go to the Poly. I personally could not justify spending that much on a room if it weren't for something special. Either way, you can't lose. They're both wonderful resorts.