PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Old on Scary Rides?

merlinmagic4
03-28-2007, 07:04 AM
I've read with interest how people have brought their infants on any ride without a height restriction. I am wondering about a one year old on the rides with scary parts. Do you think he would be scared? I'm just not sure about this age....not quite an infant who is oblivious to most stuff but not yet a toddler.......

Any rides you definitely wouldn't go on with a one year old?

Spaceship Tigger
03-28-2007, 07:35 AM
The scarier dark rides (HM, Snow White, Maelstrom) didn't bother our DS when we went when he was one year old or when he was almost two. He didn't realize at those times that those things were supposed to be scary. Now that he will be almost four when we go again, we're not so sure...

Strmchsr
03-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Unless there are safety/height restrictions there are no rides I would automatically say "no way." It depends upon every child. Some children are just very laid back and nothing bothers them. Others are more timid and easily frightened. Nothing in WDW is truly frightening, so just base it upon your child's personality.

mook3y
03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
On our first trip to WDW a couple years ago, my wife felt the same way. She insisted there was no way that we were taking the kids 1 and 3 at time on the Haunted Mansion or POTC. I managed to convince her that it would be ok. For me, many of my fond memories of going to DL as a kid is the attractions that I use to find a little scary. hehe used to hold on to dad very tight in Injun Joe's cave.

When we took our kids the first time, we took them on every ride and neither really had an issue with any of them. On the haunted mansion, DD clung to mommy and was wide eyed.... But then again... I took pictures of her on the Adventures of Pooh ride and she looks the exact same way in those pictures too :D.

You know your child better than anyone. But my guess is he will do just fine.

Jerry2
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree with Spaceship Tigger, don’t think a one year old will know that something is supposed to be scary. As long as the child can sit safely and securely you shouldn’t have a problem. Our first trip was when my son was 3 and on the first day he wouldn’t go into any dark building, not even for a show. We walked into the Lion King show in the MK and had to walk right out because he started crying. By the second day he got better and he went on the Maelstrom, which I thought would be pretty scary for a kid, and he loved it.

c&d
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
We took our son on "scary" rides when he was under 2 and it didn't phase him. However, by the age of 3, no way. He would walk on the other side of the "street" when going by the Haunted Mansion. The music scared him.

King Triton
03-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Its hard to predict...my two kids were totally different at that age (and now).

One didn't like anything that was dark and the other was sensitive to loud attractions/noise (didn't even like SpectroMagic).

I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and pretty much stay away from the scary stuff.