PDA

View Full Version : Disney MGM Studios To Become Disney/Pixar Studios {Rumour}

LoriMistress
03-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Moderator Note: Despite the tense in the below article, the discussed changes are just RUMOURS at this point-in-time.

DCA's Block Party Bash isn't being mothballed in the parade warehouse however. It will be boxed up and shipped out to Florida next winter where it will debut in the Disney Pixar Studios park for the spring.

Yep, the Disney/Pixar Studios. Say it again, and then yet again, and learn to love it, because as we mentioned before, that's the new working title for what used to be known as the Disney MGM Studios theme park. When the Florida version of Midway Mania opens in May, 2008 the plan is to debut Block Party Bash at the same time to clearly cement the Pixar presence in the rebranded theme park.

John
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Moving to News/Rumours...

future_imagineer
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I hope this isn't the truth...

JPL
03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
This rumour has been going around for a while. ITt stems from Disney using the Disney Studios when it refers to the park in certain types of promotional material like the planning DVDs. The fact of the matter is they don't have the rights to use the MGM name on certain types of media as per their agreement with MGM.
Before the Disney/Pixar Rumours the name was going to change to simply The Disney Studios or The Walt Disney Studios.

LouRodriGIS
03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Makes sense to me. Pixar is much more synonymous with Disney these days then MGM. My kids love the Pixar movies and this park was clearly becoming as much Pixar as Disney.

alicia524luvstw
03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
...and Disney owns Pixar.

tron80
03-28-2007, 12:21 AM
If it's true just keep the Pixar characters away from Tower of Terror,for the love of all that is decent.

I already hate what they did to the Seas pavillion,except for Crush.

Ian
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I love the Pixar films, but I hope Disney doesn't end up overusing the Pixar properties in the same way they beat Who Wants to Be a Millionaire into the ground.

There really can be too much of a good thing.

battle beast
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I too like PIXAR films, but I too don't want to see them everywhere. A liitle goes a long wayZ!

GrumpyFan
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I love the Pixar films, but I hope Disney doesn't end up overusing the Pixar properties in the same way they beat Who Wants to Be a Millionaire into the ground.

There really can be too much of a good thing.

Completely agree!

big blue and hairy
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Keep in mind that there will be more and more Pixar characters to draw from. That said, I would like to see the name either stay the same, or become "The Disney Studios" or "The Walt Disney Studios".

:sulley:

Crow
03-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Completely agree!

and i! i was afraid of the overboard w Stitch, then Nemo. i like the Pixars, but i think Disney Studios would b fine.
or Disney Hand drawn studios

BellewanaB
04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
If it's true just keep the Pixar characters away from Tower of Terror,for the love of all that is decent.

AND Stitch! I love the litte guy but I absolutely HATE what he did to my ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter!

I agree to enhancing without changing!

mttafire
04-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Makes sense to me. Pixar is much more synonymous with Disney these days then MGM. My kids love the Pixar movies and this park was clearly becoming as much Pixar as Disney.
Agreed..I hope this rumor is true. Pixar puts out GREAT movies!!:mickey:

Jeany031
04-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Agreed..I hope this rumor is true. Pixar puts out GREAT movies!!:mickey:I love Pixar because of the movies. I hope that Disney will bring the Incredibles show in the studios. And I hope this will be true.:mjump::figment::mickey2::minnie2:

Brer Goofy
04-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I know this rumor has been going around for a while, but I haven't really said thought much about it until now...

Bad idea. Re-name the park "Disney-Pixar Studios" and you immediately conjure up images of ONLY animated films. Fantastic films--films I love, and which should be represented in the parks--but still, the name only makes you think of animation...and this is a park devoted to so much more than animated features.

Yes, I know that having the name "Disney" technically leaves you open to include all the live action features the company produces, but admit it--that's not what you're thinking when you hear "Disney-Pixar". I mean, how odd will it be to enter the gates of "Disney-Pixar Studios" and walk into the meticulously re-created golden age of Hollywood? It just doesn't mesh. Knowing that the park shares a name with a distinctly 21st-century company eats away at that initial, glorious illusion that you've been transported to another era. It just strikes me as bad Imagineering...not that WDI has been anywhere near its creative peak the last few years anyway.

Again, I love Pixar and don't mind seeing a Pixar presence in the parks (the reliance on animated characters of all kinds in the parks has gotten a little out of hand, but that's another story). And at first, this name change didn't seem all that bad to me either--I would miss "MGM" for sentimental reasons, but I didn't see what was so terrible about "Pixar". But when I considered actually walking into the park under the new name...when I thought of how the theming would be all off and more misguided than it sometimes is already...well, the name doesn't sit well with me anymore. Just consider it from that point of view--I'd be interested to hear some thoughts.

I'm with big blue and hairy--if they can't keep "MGM" for whatever reason, just make it "The Disney Studios" or "The Walt Disney Studios" (in fact, since Pixar is entirely owned by Disney now, that would make more sense today anyway than it ever did before). It could signal the return to that Disney golden age that Lasseter is supposedly working to bring about on the film side of the company. Transport me back to the days when I could walk down the real Sunset Boulevard and know that Walt and his team were hard at work right over in Burbank...don't make my first impression of the park one of puzzlement at what this golden-age boulevard has at all to do with Pixar. It may seem to be a trifle, but it could end up being one more crack in the illusion that WDI tried so hard to create when they opened the park in 1989.

BrowncatP
04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
If the park is renamed, the "studios" park of the title should be left out. There is so little left of what was once a real studio!:down:

DisneyNut2005
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
AND Stitch! I love the litte guy but I absolutely HATE what he did to my ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter!

I agree to enhancing without changing!

Are you guys kidding?! "Stitch's Great Escape" and "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" are awesome!

I don't like it when new attractions like these get bashed without mercy.

Besides, Alien Encounter never really belonged in the Magic Kingdom anyway, due to its intense nature. And the Nemo-themed enhancements to The Seas actually brought new life and excitement to an otherwise boring and under-attended pavilion.

We have to realize that we're in the minority and that some things DO have to change. And these changes, IMO, were all for the better.

disneygeek18
04-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Brer Goofy I could not have put it better myself. The biggest thing that bothers me about this is that changing the name destroys any illusion of 1940's Hollywood that was set up so well 17 years ago. This is my favorite park at WDW and I know it wont be if they change the name.

I am so tired of Pixar at this point it gives me so little hope in the actual Disney Company, It seems like everything has to be Pixar and people are forgetting who Mickey Mouse, Cinderella, Belle, Goofy, and Mary Poppins are.This is just one more step in the wrong direction.

Clotho
04-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Well, I don't think it makes sense to call it "Disney Studios", considering there already is an actual, working Disney Studios in Burbank. It would be confusing to have the real, working non-theme-park one confused with a not-really-a-studio-any-more-but-definitely-a-theme-park
in Orlando. MGM could benefit from a name change in the future, but it should be something distinct, perhaps, from an already existing property in the Disney family.

BMan62
04-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Bad idea.

If the name was changed, would anything related to production companies other than Disney/Pixar be pulled? -- MGM, LucasFilms, etc.?

Maybe something like "Disney's Hollywood Park" would be more appropriate? That would allow for all studios to be included and options for expansion.

DisneyNut2005
04-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I don't think it makes sense to call it "Disney Studios", considering there already is an actual, working Disney Studios in Burbank. It would be confusing to have the real, working non-theme-park one confused with a not-really-a-studio-any-more-but-definitely-a-theme-park
in Orlando. MGM could benefit from a name change in the future, but it should be something distinct, perhaps, from an already existing property in the Disney family.

Well, they could rename the park "Walt Disney Studios, Florida". That's one way that they could prevent such confusion from occurring.

And disneygeek18, there is absolutely no reason to lose any hope in Disney, especially since Eisner is finally out of the picture. And NOBODY is forgetting about Mickey, Goofy, etc nor who they are.

Gator
04-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't worry about the name changing to PIXAR. Worry about Block Party Bash actually coming to WDW. My wife and I saw it at DL last year, and it Stinks. It is really boring, lots of animatronic characters, few real characters, and a very long wait for the parade if you're at the end. If we lose Stars and MotorCars for BBB, that will be the real trajedy.

JPL
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I have heard from very reliable sources that the Motorcars is travelling overseas and we will be getting Block Party Bash at the studios

Clotho
04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
It's all a matter of opinion. I loved Block Party Bash. Very fun. And lots of people love it. I think, however, that the Stars and Motorcars Parade is far more appropriate.

SpecJoe Magic
04-05-2007, 01:24 AM
This is yet another example of this park's identity crisis. I agree with those that say that Disney/Pixar won't fit with what the park is actually about, but neither does the MGM brand (nor the giant hat). Think about it, how many things that exist at the park actually have anything to do with MGM? There are a few scenes in the Great Movie Ride that were originally MGM properties, but those movie rights are now owned by other companies. Then there is the Lucas brand along with Jim Henson (now owned by Disney), and the thrill rides on Sunset Boulevard that have nothing to do with anything Disney. The fact is that the park is a mesh of several different brands with no cohesive identity. Maybe the idea of changing it to Disney/Pixar is to give it a clear direction in which to go in the future. Toy Story Mania could just be the beginning of the many Pixar attractions that might appear at the park in the future. I'm not saying that I like the idea. I think that Pixar is getting more than enough attention at WDW right now, but a move to fill the park with numerous Pixar attractions wouldn't surprise me when considering the current Disney management.

I think that Disney Studios, Florida is a fine name for the park because it would allow for a more diverse set of attraction themes while still keeping with the spirit of what the park was originally intended to be about.

Melanie
04-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I loved Block Party Bash. Very fun. And lots of people love it.

:here:

I'm glad it's (supposedly) coming to Florida. Stars and Motor Cars has run it's course, IMO.

big blue and hairy
04-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Forgetting for a moment where it is....how can you say the Sorcerer Hat does not fit in Disney-Mgm Studios? It represents Walt Disney's masterpiece, and by all accounts a movie he was extremely proud of. Why doesn't that fit in the Disney-MGM Studios?

Clotho
04-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Forgetting for a moment where it is....how can you say the Sorcerer Hat does not fit in Disney-Mgm Studios? It represents Walt Disney's masterpiece, and by all accounts a movie he was extremely proud of. Why doesn't that fit in the Disney-MGM Studios?

I admit I didn't like the hat at first. The entire theme of the park was great, and the "weenie" ("castle") as Mann's Chinese was great...and then they dropped this big cartoonish hat in the middle! But after thinking about it a bit, I realized that Mann's Chinese was not a "castle" they could market as a Disney image. I mean, it would be confusing, and the image doesn't "belong" to Disney, so using it in marketing wouldn't make sense or even necessarily be possible. So they had to find a Disney image that they could replace this icon with to become the new representative icon.

So now I don't hate the hat so much...it's not my favorite, but still...

Kristi Kay
04-09-2007, 01:00 AM
It will be sad to see the MGM Studios sign change...to see the passing of an era, but I think it's good direction to go it....Pixar has been fantastic for Disney....