PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-Dee-Doo....or Don't?

Disdad13
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
We (me, DW, DS5) will be making a trip to the World in late September. We will be on the dining plan (hopefully for free) and will be there for 7 days. My DW wants to try Hoop-Dee-Doo, but I'm not so sure, especially since it is 2TS on the dining plan. Our DS5 tends to be shy and would not want to participate in the show anyway, and I have heard that the food is just OK. Is it worth 2TS to go here, especially if it won't be enjoyed as much by DS5? Talk me into it - or my DW out of it!;)

pox24
03-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Pay for it if you have to.Don't miss this original long running favorite of so many. We've gone at least 5 times and it never gets old. Its great family fun and don't worry about a shy child. The food is very good. The fried chicken is the best I ever had and I've lived here in Florida for 27 years .:thumbsup:

DestinationWDW
03-27-2007, 04:26 PM
My family of 5 (kids 11, 9, and 3) go to Hoop-Dee-Doo every other trip and all three love it especially the youngest. Your right the food is just ok but the desert is pretty good. We go for the stage show, in my opinion its one of the best. We never use the dining plan for this meal because it not worth 2 TS meals. I did the math and it is better for us to pay for this meal by itself. This also gives us brunch on the day of departure; we usually hit Chef Mickey's . Hope this helps.

I believe
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
GO!!!! It is so much fun! It is WELL worth two credits (especially if they do end up being "free")
Our family went for the first time in Jan. It now stands in First place for our favorite dining experience at Disney. They show is so silly funny, you would have to be GRUMPY not to enjoy it...I think he might even crack up during this show!
The food is not bad at all. We are backyard dining kind of people, so it was perfect for us. I think it is better than Whispering Canyon's BBQ if that give you a measuring stick.
We also have a shy 5yr old, She said it was her favorite part of our trip, even better that dining at the castle, and she is a huge Cinderella fan. Don't worry about the audience participation thing, the actors only select a few people, and I think they are pretty good at detecting who to pick (on).
I guess this counts as a raving review in your wife's favor, I think you will have a hard time finding anyone to say,"skip it"
I hope you decide to go! You won't regret it.:mickey:

coag
03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Our favorite family event. My shy 6 year old had a great time! We used 2TS/person last Sept. with no regrets. The food is OK, but it is all about the show.

boobalk
03-27-2007, 04:42 PM
One of our must dos 12 times. food is great:cap: longest running show at WDW .Book early sells out fast. 3 shows 5pm 7pm 9pm

Clotho
03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
There are tons of reviews on this, and most every one is glowing. The worst I have ever read/heard is people who just didn't prefer the food. But everyone loves the show.

Hubby and I are foodies, and we loved the food. I am sure the consistency can vary--large banquet meals need to be timed precisely or else things can easily get overcooked--meats get tough, side dishes get icky, etc. So if you go on a night when the timing is off, I am sure it can be a let down. We happened to have a fantastic night--the food was simply delicious, and the show was fab!

My husband tends to be very shy, but this show got him clapping along and literally swaying and laughing. It was a treat for me to see him come out of his shell a little, and enjoy himself so much.

We haven't been since 2004, and the likelihood of returning anytime soon again after this year's trip is slim, and we really want to do the Spirit of Aloha show. Otherwise, Hoop De Doo was literally at the top of our list of "must do again"!

One note: the dining plan only applies to tier 2 and 3 seats. Tier 1 is of course the best seating in the house. for us, we are paying for our Spirit of Aloha tickets outside of the dining plan in order to get the prime seating. You will find a way to spend that extra Table Service credit elsewhere, I am sure.

Jasper
03-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I think this is something you should do regardless of whether or not it fits in your meal plan or not.

May524
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
This June will be my 3rd time and we LOVE it! We really enjoy the food, but most importantly the show! Also...who can pass up unlimited beer and sangria?? Not I! :beer:

caryrae
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
You have to give it a try. It is very fun. My wife and I loved it. I love the way the food is served family style and the strawberry shortcake was a good end to dinner.

Maleficent's Dad
03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey, all that :beer: :beer: :beer: can help to hide the mediocre food! ;)

Seriously - we love the show! I'd go for it, but it can be pricey so I understand your reluctance. If you can swing it, do it!!! My kids (8 & 6) have been 4 times and LOVE IT!

I will tell you this - food isn't really bad, it's okay. But people don't really go there for gourmet cuisine! :mickey:

Barb_A
03-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Our family *loves* Hoop de Doo!
If your main concern is gourmet food - this won't be the place to go, however.

When my kids were younger, one of my finicky DS didn't like the chicken and ribs, the waitress asked if they wanted something else and brought him over something else from the restaurant next door (Can't remember now if it was a hot dog, or PB and J), but it was his choice of a few items.

Corny jokes, LOTS of laughter, you don't have to join in to have fun, just be there.

This is a must do o all our trips

MickeyChick
01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
DDP Now covers category 1 seating at the 9:30 show.

jszczur5
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
You don't go to HDDR for the food (which is better than okay, but not outstanding). You go for the side-splitting laughs, and for the catchy tunes which are enough to drive "It's a Small World After All" out of your head for a little while.
Worth 2 TS credits for us every year.

d_m_n_n
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Just saw this show in December and our family (me, DH, DS10 and DS6) all loved it!!! Even DH, who doesn't appreciate WDW like myself, was clapping his hands and stomping his feet!

Oh, and the night we went, the food was excellent...I say definitely give it a try!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PeterPan
01-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Fabulous classic show. Don't miss it.

Mom2princesses
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
YES YES YES!!! Do it!

We went in August with a 3 yo, a 10 yo and me and my dh. We all had a fantastic time. The food is ok but the show is so much fun. My 3 yo still talks about it and sings the Hoop Dee Doo song!

disney100%
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
We never miss this show - I've been at least 7 times since I was a teenager (now I am thirty something). My family always makes this our last night's event at Disney. My brother has been picked for the show, which I think adds to the excitement of going for us. The first time I went, I was in the eighth grade. Now I am "thirty something" and the mom of three and I love it just as much as I did the first time. On our last trip, my son was 14 months and absolutely loved playing the washboard. Our next trip isn't until 2009, but I am looking forward to taking my son again and 2 daughters for the first time.

Vinny
01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I have been to the HDDMR twice and have enjoyed it both times (once w/ 10yr in our party) . If you are a fan of slapstick comedy you will enjoy the show also. The majority of the entertainment takes place on the stage and the audience participation takes place mostly in your seats. Only guests that volunteer to perform in the final song actually participate on stage. The food is not that bad but you have to remember it is chosen with the western theme of the show in mind. Click here (http://travel.webshots.com/album/56330118tlXDXo?start=24), I have some pictures from one of the times I was at the show. IMO, the HDDMR is a show that you should catch at least once to experience it. Enjoy whatever meal you choose.

mickey&missy
01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Definitely go! It's sooooo much fun!

DH, myself and our 2 kids went in 05. DS was 2 at the time and laughed hysterically the entire time!

DH, myself, our 2 kids, MIL and FIL went in 06. Again, it was blast. We sat right up at the stage. FIL loved it! I had made an ADR for HDDMR for our trip in March and then cancelled it because tickets for the Pirates and Princesses Party went on sale and it was the same night. FIL was very upset he wasn't going to get to go to HDDMR. I ended up rearranging the our schedule so we could go to HDMMR.

Their is a little bit of audience participation. They pull a few members of the audience to go on stage. But their are so many people in the hall no one will notice if your DS is shy.

The food isn't gourmet but it's good and it's fun. The kids love when the waiters come and drop the big metal bucket of chicken on the table!