PDA

View Full Version : Toronto?

angedeaile
03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I am planning a road trip to Toronto come Summer. I am just lost at what to do, see, and where to eat at once I get there.

I have been to so many sites that I am overwhelmed with information. It is nuts!

For those that have been to the Toronto area, what do you suggest doing?

Caroleh
03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
CN Tower, Centre Island, The beaches, Black Creek Pioneer Village. If you're a baseball fan, you can catch a game at the Rogers Centre, for the hockey fan, there's the hockey hall of fame. That's a few I can think of off the top of m,y mind.

scooterca42
03-27-2007, 09:59 PM
How many, how long, and how old?

For those of us who live and work here, we know that there's just a whole whack of stuff to do and see, it's best to try to narrow it down.

For a long weekend, look at the usual suspects - as mentioned, the CN Tower (if you eat up there you bypass the main lineup, which can be gawrhsawful long. It's not cheap, but it's good food and the view can't be beat. Go online to make a lunch reservation, or in the summer I could recommend making a dinner ressie that will span twilight and dusk and night - Toronto at night is amazing.).

The Royal Ontario Museum has spectacular displays.

The Ontario Science Centre is built on the side of a ravine and contains interesting stuff for all ages, excellent for a rainy day.

Walking in Chinatown is a terrific experience - the food and the atmosphere - it's like you've stepped over thousands of miles and ended up in China. Greektown has the best Greek food outside Athens.

That would be a very, very busy long weekend.

If you have a week, then definitely check out Black Creek Pioneer Village - it was a favourite of an Aussie friend of mine and I love it for the sense of history it gives us.

Ontario Place is on the lake and has a pleasent little waterpark, plus games and rides and a neat simulator. Try to come when the Chinese Lantern Festival is on, and see the most amazing lanterns, anywhere from a few inches across to thirty feet wide and twenty high. Last time there was a silk, animated Tyrannosaur lantern. It was a good fifteen feet tall. It's the best Lantern Festival outside China.

Check out the Distillery District. In the summer it has festivals and shows and functions all the time. Look for them on the web for some ideas.

The Docks is an entertainment complex at the bottom of Cherry Street. It even has a drive in during the summer, and live music.

Rogers Centre has concerts. Toronto is on the A list for artists.

The Toronto Islands are nice for a day. There's Centreville, which is another small entertainment park aimed mostly at children, but there are amazing picnic facilities and you can rent bikes.

And there's Paramount Canada's Wonderland - a thrill ride theme park, mostly, but there is an area for smaller kids too.

Weather? Think Florida in summer. The temp could be only about 32 C (about 90 F), but humidex can take it to 48 C. Humid. Oh, yeah.

I could get into the restaurants and the entertainment district downtown, and the theaters and the street festivals, but this is already long - PM me if you'd like. We love our city and we love to show it off!:number1:

mouseaddict
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks alot..now I am homesick!

DisneyDog
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
I really enjoyed touring Casa Loma. It's this beautiful castle/masion that was built by a prominent Toronto financier in 1911. He, unfortunately, went broke building the mansion, but you can still tour it today. It's a bit like walking back in time.

Belle619
03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
If you like to shop, then you have to go to the Eaton Centre. There are a lot of really nice stores there! :thumbsup:

CleveSJM
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Catch a Jays game at Skydome, see when the Tigers are in town.

Always a bunch of good plays in town. Saw Lion King there years ago and it was awesome.

For food, I've always liked "Freds Not Here" but haven't been there in a long time. Also there is a Keg in an old "mansion" that is very nice.

scooterca42
03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Heh - I work in the center office tower of the Eatons Centre...dangerous place for a paycheck...;)

Also, for food, try a place called Fran's, by the College subway - it's a diner, basically, but I think it's still open 24 hours. Not very expensive.

Any of the restaurants in the Entertainment District (along King) are good, it's highly competitive, and so anything that survives there does so because it's good food...

Lakeshore near Union Station, there's a place called Jack Astors in a group of restaurants - it's our favoured spot for nights the train is delayed.

Any Swiss Chalet is good - it's a chicken BBQ chain but with more selection. Not big bucks.

angedeaile
04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow..thanks everyone for all those tips and suggestions!

I think this will really help me get started on planning this trip out.

I can't wait!

NJGIRL
04-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Paramount's Wonderland is a very nice park. I recommand it for a fun day.:)

BRJARE3
04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
My husband and I love Toronto. We last went when we had no children. We love the Toronto Zoo. It is an amazing zoo compared to the Philadelphia one (where we live). It is huge and takes a while to really see everything. I highly recommend going. Have a great vacation.