PDA

View Full Version : Just Back from POR!

sainter
03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Returned home from POR yesterday morning. I would be glad to answer any questions! In the meantime, a few random observations about our trip and POR in particular:
** WDW is definitely more crowded in the spring than in Oct when we have gone previously. With the use of fast pass and getting to the parks early there isn't anything we waited more than 25 min for though.
**Bus service to the parks very good at all times of day. Back at closing time, we often waited. While it is generally known that the buses pick up first at FQ and drop off last at FQ if sharing, we found that this was not always the case. In fact, it wasn't always true that the first stop at POR was the main one either! Sometimes it was the west depot!
** POR contiues to be a lovely resort overall. We saw several instances of continued upkeep -- they were painting high up near the ceiling in the lobby and entryway of the main building after 11:30 at night, some painting was being done in sections of rooms (don't know if this was touch up or full painting), our room carpet was freshly shampooed (as were others on our side of the building).
**The food court opened Friday morning March 23. Gone are the electronic pictures of the food choices. The signs are now more in keeping with the overall theme looking like signs on a store front. Many choices are different. No more nachos, no more blackened steak sandwiches. There are omlets made to order, and cereals and oatmeal with different toppings. I did not see choc chip pancakes either. For later in the day, you can order pasta with a choice of 3 kinds of pasta, 3 sauces, shrimp or chicken and a bunch of other add ins which are sauteed in a pan in front of you --makes for a great show with the flames in the pan! It was a huge portion and very good!! Also, salad made to order, sliced beef or turkey dinners, pizza, burgers, chicken sand., chicken strips. The bakery/ice cream spot is about the same.
**The bathroom at the main pool needs some lovin' . It was in bad shape 15 months ago and still is. The doors don't close and it is just showing its age.
**Housekeeping was very good. I think we had the same person about 6 of our 9 nights and we had a few towel animals and plenty of shampoo and towels. The other nights the room was clean but just no little touches, in fact no soap and only 2 washclothes for 4 people! We did leave a tip - $1 a person each night.
OK, fire away -- I will help if I can!

Disneyfirsttimer
03-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear your observation about crowds. We visited for the first time in April 06 (arrived day after Easter). We thought it was crowded, but managed well. We are now going in October so feel it must be better than spring break crowds which you pretty much confirmed.

Thanks for the report and the feedback.

Karyn

darthmacho
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
:mickey: Our family is thinking of making this our home resort for our 2008 trip, in fact it is by far the front runner, the only thing likely to change it being a large cash winfall, which would allow us to upgrade to the Wilderness Lodge.

In any case, I'd love to hear just about anything you can say about this resort, but specifically, here are a couple of questions that you might answer.

1. What type of room did you stay in, Mansion, or Bayou? Tell us about it, and what did you think about your room?
2. Did you spend any time at the resort? If so, what did you do, and how did it work out? (Anything from swimming, walking, or anythin really.)
3. Did you eat at Boatwright's? What was your experience, or impression of the place?
4. Did you take a carriage ride, or did you observe anyone doing it? If yes, how did it work?
5. I'll listen to anything else you have to say about your stay at POR! :listen:

ILoveLegos
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for taking questions, I have three questions for you as I'll be @ POR in six months. All of my questions have to do with the renovated counter service area.
1. Does the water wheel turn now? I don't think I've never seen it working - but it looks cool.
2. Do you pay before or after you get the (hot) food on your tray (it was pay after pre-renovation and pay before during-renovation). I like the second way because then you have a chance to eat it HOT!
3. Do they still have the wheat (threshing floor0 type carpet in the dinning area? I always thought that was a very nice attention to detail. Thanks again for taking questions about my favorite resort POR!

tink2006
03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
This is, by far, our favorite resort! Just reading about it makes me want to hop on a plane....We will have to wait a few more months until we are there...:cloud9:

Thanks for all the updates!

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
03-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the update. We will be staying there in the summer and were very curious about the changes to the food court.

sainter
03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
HI again! First Darthmacho:
1. We stayed in Alligator Bayou. The room is a nice size with 2 full size (not queen) beds. We also had a trundle bed under one. The area with 2 sinks has a tile floor with a privacy curtain. There is a small fridge (no freezer. Ours got plenty cold - froze some cheese we had in there. There was an iron/board, small coffee maker and small wall safe. the Mansion room are set up exactly the same but the "style" of the furniture, fixtures etc is more formal.
2. We actually did spend quite a bit of time there. We spent one day swimming at the main pool (on Old Man Island). There is a nice bar there and a hot tub. The tub was busy a lot of the time though. There is also a childs wading pool, playground and fishing hole located on the island. You can walk in a huge circle around the length of the river from POR to FQ. It was fun to watch for those little lizards while walking.There was lots of activity in the bar in the main building at night with Piano Bob (is that the right name?) esp since the evenings were cool. We also spent parts of 2 afternoons at a quiet pool just around the corner from our room. My teenage loved the game room. I enjoyed the larger general store (and yes there were full bottles of wine available there). Someone asked that recently.
3. We had breakfast twice at Boatwrights. Prices weren't bad, service was good and the sweet potato pancakes yummy! Portions of all meals large!
4. Saw many people taking carriage rides. In fact one evening there was a couple on a ride and out next to the marina (where the ride starts) was a CM waiting with a glass slipper with a ring on top of a HUGE pink flower. The young man presented it to his lady when they arrived. Pretty neat!! I know you can arrange this ahead of time or try when you get to the resort. I am sure it is probably spelled out in "Info Central" here on Intercot.
Did you have anything in particular that I did not cover??
ILoveLegos
1. The water wheel is turning. They were just finishing some painting on it the first day that we were there. It looks great right now!
2.You pay as before, food first, then pay
3. You are more observant than I. I have no idea what pattern is on the carpet! I was thinking about something else though, I don't remember seeing an Indian statue this time. There was one befoe wasn't there?

Just wanted to add, we went into the food court late the night before (after 11 pm) and workers were taking down the boards that had been up and putting up the signage. There were so many people and it was so busy it reminded us of Home Makeover!! They were ready and open at 6 or 7 am.

darthmacho
03-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks not only for the info, but just for sharing your experiences with us. It's nice to hear about WDW and the experiences of people that visit there. :mickey:

Your descriptions are making me excited to stay at POR.

Mnchknbrat1982
03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
thanks for the info and your experience. As I am looking at upgrading to POFQ if free dining comes out. As right now we are doing Pop Century.

sainter
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys! It is fun to "relive" your trip and help out others when you get back this way! :mickey:
Have a magical trip!!

ILoveLegos
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to see the wheel turning! :mickey: