PDA

View Full Version : Family Style Resturants - for the lone diner?

ILoveLegos
03-27-2007, 09:37 AM
There is a big possibility that I'll be dining alone a lot during my upcoming stay at WDW. Basically it's due to the commitments of my sister's family to her inlaws. Anyway, the 180-day ADR mark is approaching and I want to experience some "new" dining options for me. I've already picked out places that are "a little less uncomfortable" for the lone diner - but now I'm looking for one "adventurous place". My question is, "What do you think diner at a family style resturant would be like for the lone diner? ". As a clarification and just so that we are on the same page, in my "neck of the woods" family style often means passing common bowls and platters of food around the table for the family to share. Is this the same case in WDW? Also I am not a big eater, so a big bowl of something is not exactly what I'm looking for when I'm dinning alone. :sick: Any experiences and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

faline
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I can't think of any place in Disney World where you'd share family style dining with folks you don't know. In places like Teppanyaki, you get served directly. In Germany, it's a buffet and you get your own food. At Liberty Tree Tavern, you'd likely get a table for one and be served your own platters.

Goofeygal
03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I would say my choices would be between Wispering Canyon at Wilderness lodge or Boma which is a buffet at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Let us know what you decide on.:mickey:

BelleBeauty
03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
The family-style place that comes to mind is LTT. They adjust the amount of food per the amount of people at your table. So you wouldn't have huge bowls of food for just yourself. There isn't a lot of people watching opportunity here though, since the sections are closed off.

I would suggest eating at California Grill while watching the fireworks or eating at Rose & Crown with a seating for Illuminations. This would be fun and allow you to watch the show and people watch while dining alone.

ILoveLegos
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I think the Liberty tree tavern is what got me thinking about "family style dining in the first place". Maybe that would be more fun on a night that my sister's family and I are together for a diner meal. The description of the LTT sounds like an opprortunity for a good turkey dinner meal with all the trimmings.
On my own and as a result of your suggestions, I think that I'd like to try Boma for one lone dinner. The California Grill at fireworks time is a great idea for another meal! Hope I can get these ADRs!
P.S. Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions, now at least I have some good ideas. :number1:

Crow
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
ive dined solo a lot. i avoid Biergarten when alone, as i dont like the family style seating...you may sit w diff people at a long table but you go to the buffet and get your own food. and it isnt my fav place anyway.
i have eaten alone at Boma and ended up w a wife lol....well ex now. the food wasnt bad. for buffets though my fav is Trails End;good value and a nice boat ride from MK to Ft Wilderness..or you can walk from WL.
Artist Pt is nice for dinner at WL
im trying CA Grill next trip alone, but not at fireworks time.
most of the places at the countries in WS ive eaten alone and dont mind. too bad the places in Japan will b closed when im there as the lounge is a great place for sushi, sake and view of Illuminations.
Kimonos in the Swan/Dolphin is good for sushi and karoake also.