PDA

View Full Version : Language in the Disney Parks

MGKpotc8283
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I've only ever been to the Disney Parks in the U.S. but I was wondering what languages are spoken on the attractions in Euro Disney, Tokoyo Disney and Hong Kong Disney? I wonder more about Euro Disney since many different languages are spoken in Europe. I also heard that the company that owns Tokoyo Disney wanted it to be just like DisneyLand in California so the signs are in English. Does anyone who has been to these other parks know?

ibrowse17
03-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I wonder if everything in the other parks is follwed by Spanish like at WDW.

scooterca42
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Don't know about other parks, but in France it's French - except in Small World where I heard English and French

2Epcot
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
At Hong Kong Disneyland all the signs are in English and Chinese, usually English is the most prominent language on the sign. All the CMs are required to speak Mandarin, Cantonese, and at least some English, so communication there is very easy for most Westerners. Attractions are often done in multiple languages. Hong Kong was under British rule for a long time, so many in Hong Kong speak English anyway. :mickey:

Trixie1822
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi
as you can see in my signature I know very well Disneyland Paris...
The main language is of course french (located near Paris) but a lot of attraction (specially shows) are translations in English. And all CM speak english and often spanish and german.

If you want to visit Disneyland Paris but you don't speak french, no worry CM speak better than me :D .

lindique
03-26-2007, 07:00 PM
In DL Paris, most announcements are made in French, English, and German. Some rides have translation headsets in 5 or 6 languages. Shows are sung/spoken with some sentences in French, some in English and some in German (from what I remember).

BelleBeauty
03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Disneyland Paris is actually really great in the language department. I was really impressed with how they handled so many different languages.

The main language is French. However, a lot of the rides will have pieces in English as well. For example - in Star Tours, the driver robot spoke French, but they had a part where someone in other ship tries to tell the robot to pull over, and that person spoke English. In larger shows they have translation devices. For Honey I Shrunk the Audience, you went in a specific door based on whether you wanted to experience the show in French (without headphones), English, Spanish, German, etc. with special headphone systems.

I believe most of the staff speaks English, as well as other languages.

battle beast
03-27-2007, 11:52 PM
THis is good to know... I want to go to The international parks...

Melanie
03-28-2007, 02:51 AM
All attractions are in Japanese at Tokyo Disney Resort.

ruud
03-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I have visited Disneyland Resort Paris more than 40 times so I know a lot of this resort. All CastMembers must speak French and at least one other language. Many CM's speak English.
The beautiful Legend of the Lion King show is performed a few times a day. You can choose for the French or English version.

Rodders
03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
This was my understanding of the Paris DL. I hope to go next year so hearing a confirmation is comforting. Thanks for the info.

Having said that though, If I can save up enough between now and then I will upgrade to 2 weeks in WDW :mickey:

DisneyLove
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I was at Tokyo Disney last week during my spring break, and the attractions are mostly in Japanese (with the occasional use of English) but most, if not all, of the theming was in English. For example, Pirates was in English, Small World was Japanese with a little english, and Pooh (their version is far cooler, btw), Pinnochio, etc. were all in Japanese. And unlike WDW, aside from the show in the Arabian Coast at DisneySea, we couldn't get English headsets/translators. However, it was fantastic nonetheless. Mickey was just the same as at home! :mickey:

Katie

Melanie
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
And unlike WDW, aside from the show in the Arabian Coast at DisneySea, we couldn't get English headsets/translators.

They also offer headsets at MicroAdventure (aka, Honey I Shrunk the Audience).

I'm confused about what you mean in regards to theming. The only English we really noticed were the Disney songs we know and love. We didn't ride Pirates though, as it was down for rehab.

DisneyLove
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
They also offer headsets at MicroAdventure (aka, Honey I Shrunk the Audience).

I'm confused about what you mean in regards to theming. The only English we really noticed were the Disney songs we know and love. We didn't ride Pirates though, as it was down for rehab.

I meant signs around the parks- those were in English. Signs for restaurants, the little sayings on sides of buildings, etc. And we didn't catch MicroAdventure, but good to know if I can get back there before the end of the semester

Melanie
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
I meant signs around the parks- those were in English.

Ah yes, and many (mostly the warning and instructional signs) were in English and Japanese, like here (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2948434400048685994wIXSwP). :)