PDA

View Full Version : buy resale after talking to disney?

goofy4wdw
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
We are thinking of buying into dvc in the next month. I have talked with disney twice and asked them about 100 questions. After doing even more research I think we will end up buying resale. My problem is that I read on another site that if you have talked to disney your name is in their system and you are less likely to pass ROFR through resale. Does this sound right? has anyone had problems because of this? Any advice would be great.:mickey:
Meg

vizsla
03-25-2007, 04:23 PM
This is the first that I have heard of such a thing. I dealt with the DVC first before buying my DVC through resale and did not have any problems. It should not matter at all if you buy through resale because DVC is still getting their money for the sale of points. As far as the ROFR, one thing the DVC looks for is that all taxes and fees are paid, and they will step in when they feel that the point value is being sold at to low of a price, and at times they randomly select resales so they can buy them back to put the points back into their own bank for sale again.

goofy4wdw
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
that makes me feel soooooo much better. I had heard not to offer too low point wise, but to negotiate the closing cost and dues. If you negotiate these is disney more likely to step in and purchase (such as if they are split)?

dlpmikki
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I initially bought through Disney so my name would have been on their system. I then bought more points through a resale and did split the closing costs. No problem from Disney at any stage.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I really think Disney's only concern is in keeping the point value up where they want it to be.
We took the tour in 2001 and bought via resale in 2003, passing ROFR with no problem even though our offer was on the low end of the market at the time.
I would make an offer based on what I was comfortable with and not be concerned about rumors involving underhanded practices.

HockeyKat
03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
We took the tour in October '06 and bought resale in January, a loaded contract at the bottom end of the scale, and passed ROFR in a week.

I think that they have a formula, that takes into account the price of buying the contract vs. the "cost" of reselling the contract. This cost is a combo of commission to seller, closing costs, potential overhead on a new member vs total pts in contract, and how much interest they would lose while they are waiting for the points to be resold. So, if there is already a waiting list for that use year and that amount of points at that resort, or if it is SSR (still actively selling), the chances of failing ROFR go up.

The person who originally thought up the idea that being in WDW's system hurt your chances was trying to buy an SSR contract. I read that thread too. ;)

xipetotec
03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
We are thinking of buying into dvc in the next month. I have talked with disney twice and asked them about 100 questions. After doing even more research I think we will end up buying resale. My problem is that I read on another site that if you have talked to disney your name is in their system and you are less likely to pass ROFR through resale. Does this sound right? has anyone had problems because of this? Any advice would be great.:mickey:
Meg

I highly doubt that this is the case. Not only were we in their system when we bought a resale, we already owned and had bought twice from our guy Nick Tamberrino. We needed additional Beach Club Villa points and wouldn't settle for anything else. He put us on his waiting list, but the perfect listing came along in resale and we bought and it passed with flying colors.

:number1:

Sharon1026
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Meg

The only thing that I would say is that you took up much time of a salesperson at disney who is paid on commission and then gave the business to someone else who didn't do the work. Maybe you can save a few bucks, but you should consider doing business with the person who actually took the time to answer your 100 questions. That's really the fair thing to do.