PDA

View Full Version : Rude Guests Part II

CleveSJM
03-25-2007, 11:16 AM
There was a Rude Guest thread up in Theme Parks for awhile. It was pretty interesting. I noticed two sets of complaints that seemed to contradict each other. Now I'm wondering which is more rude?

1. a) Bumping into (with stroller option) a guest or b) Blocking the pathway of other guests.

2. a) Strictly disciplining your child on vacation or b) Letting your kids "run wild"

Personally, I think 1b and 2b are more rude. First, you deserve to get "stroller-ed" if you are clueless. Next, you can't spoil them on vacation. I think the people that think that is rude behavior are probably the parents of the kids running wild. ;)

Any other rude dilemmas you noticed?

SBETigg
03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think anyone deserves to get "strollered" under any circumstances. I also don't believe children should be running wild. If someone blocks your path, a polite "excuse me" usually does the trick.

My DH, not blocking anyone's path, was run down by a 6 year old pushing his own stroller while his parents walked on, clueless. The DH trying to dodge the stroller, almost hit the kid, so maneuvered to spare the kid and ended up severely hurting his back, impacting our vacation, without so much as a wave from the kid's parents, who did see my DH knocked down flat on the Fantasyland pavement. There's no excuse for not watching your kids. For their own safety!

My own rude peeve: I don't think line-cutting is ever justified. Ever. Not even if your four year old suddenly has to go potty. The whole party should leave the line and get back in line (at the end, all over again) when the little one is done. But I would never say anything and I understand why people would try to hold their place in that situation.

luvdiznee
03-25-2007, 12:06 PM
A couple of rude peeves we've encountered: 1)Pool hogging: basically getting dirty looks from a woman who felt we were invading her daughters turf. Keeping our back to her helped a lot! :thumbsup: 2) On the bus ride back from Epcot some guy telling my dd8 that her flashing ring was bothering him. So he wanted her to turn it off! :thedolls: Had to politely remind him that he just came from a park where there were zillions of flashing lights. Ok, I feel better now. :cloud9:

PirateLover
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree with Sherri, it is never appropriate for anyone to use a stroller as a battering ram. Just because someone may have stared off into space for a minute, that doesn't give you the right to be rude. I think everyone has had those moments where they zone out. Just be polite and ask someone to move! One pet peeve I have is when people are being rowdy in line. I've seen people of all ages being loud and obnoxious. It especially gets on my nerves when it is a group of foreigners who then pretend to not understand what you are saying when you confront them. (I say pretend because it has happened to us 3 or 4 times when we've heard them speaking English with their group, then all of the sudden they are clueless when we call them out).

MNNHFLTX
03-25-2007, 01:44 PM
As with most of these types of "dilemmas", society dictates that the norm is somewhere in the middle of the extremes. And based on my past experiences, I believe most people do operate within that parameter. If there is the occasional lapse due to distractions or such, I believe a simple apology and forgiveness on each side goes a long way in keeping a Disney World vacation a positive experience.

On a side note, we have had many "rude guests" or "guest pet peeves" threads on INTERCOT and the majority of them end up being closed down due to insulting and offensive comments being made. Let's please keep this thread civil so that it doesn't suffer the same fate.

goofygirl67
03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
You do realize that a flashing light about strobelight strength can send someone who has Epilepsy into a seizure.
I have to pull my car visor down when a school bus is near me because of that. My doctor told me if I have a seizure, according to Florida law, I loose my drivers liscence for 2 years. That would also cause me to loose my job since I travel for a living.
I would first try to block the lights or turn away before asking someone to turn them off.

cfoshe
03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
My own rude peeve: I don't think line-cutting is ever justified. Ever. Not even if your four year old suddenly has to go potty. The whole party should leave the line and get back in line (at the end, all over again) when the little one is done. But I would never say anything and I understand why people would try to hold their place in that situation.

I dissagree this being rude. If these were teenages maybe, but why should the little kids be pentilized because they need a potty break in the middle of a line. They already have waited a long time, they whould not have to start over they should be able to get back in line where they left, the only time they should not is if the line is getting held up at the door, the the line holder should let people by until the littles ones return.

Now rude, people not paying attion in the lines holding everyone else up, and then get short with you when you asked them to move foward.:mad:

Here we go again...
03-25-2007, 03:26 PM
The one thing that bothers me is line cutting. I am not talking about the person who leaves the line to bring their little one to the restroom... I will offer to hold their place. I am talking about the kids that run and duck under the ropes and where ever they pop up is where they want to stay. I will say something to them.

As far as the other thing... well, I don't let them bother me. I am, after all, in Disney World! I do not let much get to me.
We usually use the rudeness of others as a way to make us laugh. We joke about the stupid things people do.

dolphinmickey9170
03-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I am, after all, in Disney World! I do not let much get to me.
We usually use the rudeness of others as a way to make us laugh. We joke about the stupid things people do.

I agree whole-heartedly. My other issue is the young couple who seem to be oblivious that they are in public. My "Get a room" comment usually doesn't help either. There is a time and a place, and DIsney World isn't it. But as stated above, I don't let it get to me. No one is going to ruin my vacation. It is what we make it. Let's have fun. 40 more days. I'm too excited to sleep......

Jerry2
03-25-2007, 06:13 PM

I have to admit that from time to time I let boorish behavior of other guests get to me a little bit. When I see that happening I take a deep breath and remind myself that I’m on vacation and everyone is there to have fun (that usually calms me down).

I have to agree with SBETigg the most annoying thing that I see on almost every trip is line cutting in some form. I would cut them some slack on the potty thing though.

I have several line cutting stories that I won’t bore you guys with but as a general rule I feel that… If a party walks up to a line and spots friends up front, and they all want to ride together, the folks up front should be polite enough drop back to ride with their friends, instead of the folks in the back moving up.

angedeaile
03-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I never encountered the stroller situations and had only one situation with unruly kids.

These parents wanted to get a picture of their kids with Emperor Zurg behind bars at the Buzz Ride. Well these kids were hanging all over the thing, one licked the jail bars, and another one spit at the statue. The parents said NOTHING.NOTHING! I still can't believe it.

That was my only incident with unruly kids, but I did have a few with unruly adults!

Fantasmic and the Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show were two fine examples where my DLB or I was shoved aside by grown adults who wanted to beat us to a seat.

Not one time, but a total of three different occasions while we were at DW. We were walking the same speed as everyone else and following the order.

I even shouted at one that did that to my DLB on our way to be seated at Fantasmic, but got no response. He just booked it. Pushing kids…tisk. :nono:

The way I see it is, there is not enough discipline at Disney World....even for the adults.

Carol
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
The thread you were referring to was closed because it got very hurtful toward many people.

We do not need to revisit this topic again. If members want to read what others said they can go here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=97838&highlight=Rude+Guests).

INTERCOT is a Disney Planning site. Let's move on to planning ......