PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Contemporary DVC

disneyboundagain
03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
My DW and I have been to DW 6 times since '98. Now that we have DS1 and DD3, we are planning on going every year. We went from Dec 19th to the 26th this past year, and it was absolutely incredible. We plan to go at the same time every year. We have stayed at the CR all but this past time, which was Poly. It seems that it would make sense for use to buy into DVC. Being that we love the CR, we were exited to hear they are building a DVC where one of the garden wings used to be. Does anyone know when the DVC for CR will go on sale? Being that I am only starting to understand the points system, what would be your best guess as to the number of points we would need for 7 nights starting the last day of value season, going every year? What would be your best guess as to the $$ per point?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions, but DVC is a lot of money for us.

JPL
03-25-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't think you will hear anything until they sell the AKL first. The construction is just starting over at the Contemporary and it hasn't really been officially announced yet.

WDWfanatic742
03-25-2007, 01:12 AM
From what I have seen, they only just finished wrecking the north (it is north right?) garden wing. Like JPL said, it hasn't offically been announced that they are putting DVC units in, but some rumors are point to more of a tower of lots of floors rather than a wing of couple rooms.

Maleficent's Dad
03-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Being that we love the CR, we were exited to hear they are building a DVC where one of the garden wings used to be. Does anyone know when the DVC for CR will go on sale?
Please keep in mind that the CR DVC is a rumor at this point; nothing 'official' has been announced by Disney. Yes there is major demolition going on at the CR, and yes Disney has filed building permits which list DVC accomodations for the CR - but this still doesn't make it 'official!'
Don't get me wrong - as a DVC member, I'd love to see accomodations that close to the MK! :mickey: But we're realistic - the construction at the VAKL isn't scheduled to be completed for 2 more years... And the announcement of the VAKL caught everyone by surprise - so Disney's always "got something up their sleeve."
As far as how many points you'll need, it will vary greatly. You may want to look here (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/dvc/faq/default.asp) to see some examples, but so much varies based on when you go, where you stay, size of accomodations, and length of stay. Friday and Saturday nights are much more expensive (in terms of points) at all the resorts.
For Example:

- The points for a Beach Club studio range from a weekly low of 104 points to a weekly high of 181 points.
- The points for a Beach Club 1 bedroom range from a weekly low of 200 points to a weekly high of 350 points.
- The points for a Beach Club 2 bedroom range from a weekly low of 270 points to a weekly high of 462 points

BethieTink
03-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Being that I am only starting to understand the points system, what would be your best guess as to the number of points we would need for 7 nights starting the last day of value season, going every year?

Please keep in mind that DVC seasons do not work like the Disney system for hotel reservations. With the regular hotel, if you check in on the last day of value season, your entire season is priced as such. DVC does not do that. If your first night stay is the last night of Value season, that night only will be the lower point value for the night. The other nights will be valued at the higher peak/holiday season value. Something to keep in mind when determining how many points you need.

If you can travel off season while your kids are young, you can get more back for the buck with your points. One thing to consider with this scenario, is that the lower point seasons are very busy for DVC owners for this exact reason. The 11 month reservation window can be crucial depending when and where you want to stay.

pox24
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Beware of the Kingdom Suites project. Marked to be high end suites facing the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake. I would prefer a 16 story DVC tower for members instead, but you never know.:confused:

Tinkermom
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Beware of the Kingdom Suites project. Marked to be high end suites facing the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake. I would prefer a 16 story DVC tower for members instead, but you never know.:confused:

Could you please explain what you are talking about? I have never heard about any "Kingdom Suites". Is this a rumored DVC project?:confused:

pox24
03-27-2007, 12:03 PM
This project was moth balled a number of years ago. It was planned for the area just west of the Convention Center. I saw the original concept drawings from Astorino out of Pittsburgh. Astorino was then released out of consideration from the design group. So therefore Disney being as slippery as usual, wouldn't be a surprise if they took the original idea and moved the location. Oh, by the way, the concept plans depicted a 16 story structure on the old site. Pretty coincidental don't you think? Let's just hope its DVC.

Tinkermom
03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
This project was moth balled a number of years ago. It was planned for the area just west of the Convention Center. I saw the original concept drawings from Astorino out of Pittsburgh. Astorino was then released out of consideration from the design group. So therefore Disney being as slippery as usual, wouldn't be a surprise if they took the original idea and moved the location. Oh, by the way, the concept plans depicted a 16 story structure on the old site. Pretty coincidental don't you think? Let's just hope its DVC.

That is interesting. I spoke with a DVC CM at one of the kiosks while there last week. I asked him about the Contemporary rumors. He said that they were told in their last meeting that there is nothing else planned at this time. He also said he would not be surprised if DVC has something in mind since they expect AKLV to sell quickly. I mentioned to him that the contruction permits for the Contemporary area had DVC listed on them. He looked very perplexed about that and said he had not heard of that. I realize that he is probably not someone in the know and even if someone at DVC does know something the rest of us will not know anything until an official announcement is made. I can hope though!:mickey:

pox24
03-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I saw the site permit for "Disney's Contemporary Suites" to be built on the site of the old north wing. I'm told that the A drawings are not completed yet. It is DVC, however when the Architectural's clear plan review, we will know what they look like for sure.

lockedoutlogic
04-03-2007, 12:08 AM
My DW and I have been to DW 6 times since '98. Now that we have DS1 and DD3, we are planning on going every year. We went from Dec 19th to the 26th this past year, and it was absolutely incredible. We plan to go at the same time every year. We have stayed at the CR all but this past time, which was Poly. It seems that it would make sense for use to buy into DVC. Being that we love the CR, we were exited to hear they are building a DVC where one of the garden wings used to be. Does anyone know when the DVC for CR will go on sale? Being that I am only starting to understand the points system, what would be your best guess as to the number of points we would need for 7 nights starting the last day of value season, going every year? What would be your best guess as to the $$ per point?

You will get the Minimum value possible out of the DVC if you go on the dates above....it is a much better value if you mix it up and try different points on the calender....

I don't know if you've been to WDW at other times...but it is pretty much a universally known fact that the experience can be much more relaxing if you don't go during the hell times.....by that I mean Christmas, March and April.....

A completely different...and better experience.

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
You will get the Minimum value possible out of the DVC if you go on the dates above....it is a much better value if you mix it up and try different points on the calender....

I don't know if you've been to WDW at other times...but it is pretty much a universally known fact that the experience can be much more relaxing if you don't go during the hell times.....by that I mean Christmas, March and April.....

A completely different...and better experience.
I must respectfully disagree with your assertion here.

To disneyboundagain - I can PM you with information re the dates you will likely travel. We have kids and we make the decision to not take them out of school - so we only travel during the so called "hell times." Believe me, they are not "hell times" at all; in fact, the busy times can be downright magical. :mickey: :thumbsup: :mickey:

rsumrall
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Last week on the WDW Radio Show podcast, they featured an interview with Shontell Crawford, owner of www.dvcbyresale.com (http://www.dvcbyresale.com). She said she had it on good authority that the Contemporary rebuild will not include dvc units. She said the next dvc construction beyond VAKL will be outside of the Kingdom. I guess it's a huge guessing game for all of us!

lockedoutlogic
04-04-2007, 12:25 AM
I must respectfully disagree with your assertion here.

To disneyboundagain - I can PM you with information re the dates you will likely travel. We have kids and we make the decision to not take them out of school - so we only travel during the so called "hell times." Believe me, they are not "hell times" at all; in fact, the busy times can be downright magical. :mickey: :thumbsup: :mickey:

I guess it's a matter of opinion as to what you want...I'm gonna take a guess that you live somewhere near New York City or the surrounding suburbs...so you're tolerance of packed crowds and lines is more than the average american joes.....

So it would be ok for some to go in the mobbed times...while it may be a complete turnoff for others.....

While I will conceed that there is something somewhat exciting about a busy park....you trade off alot of the casual charm that WDW can have and also sacrifice a good portion of time waiting for attractions during these periods....to put it more succinctly....there is more time and an opportunity to get more things done when the crowds are thinner.....
...that is a fact...not speculation.

But it is up to the individual to choose what they feel is best....

This I'll venture: If you were to compare a trip in the second week of september to the second week of april....there would be no doubt where the better, more fulfilling, and more relaxing trip would lie....

disneyboundagain
06-07-2007, 11:05 PM
We have been to DW just about every time of the year. We have found that if our first day is 12/19 the crowds aren't real bad (although not like it used to be)(not a coincidence its the last day of the cheap season). We have a couple of days of smaller crowds, and the closer it gets to Christmas, we have already ridden everything we wanted. From 12/23 to 12/26 we just take in the scenery, parades, fireworks, etc. They are very relaxing days for us, because we have already done everything we wanted.

There isn't a whole lot left from either DW or my family left (not counting the ones that don't talk to each other). Christmas around here is pretty lonely, although getting better now because of DD3 and DS1. I can't express how special DW is at Christmas time. Those that have been there know. I hope to be able to start an annual tradition to travel to DW for Christmas every year, hence the whole reason for this post. This year will be our second year in a row. We (I) REALLY love the atmosphere and convenience of CR, which is the reason I want to wait to see if there will be a DVC at CR in the near future.

So, now that it is 2 1/2 months later, has anyone heard anything new about a DVC at CR?

PS. MK holds how many thousands of people on Christmas day? Last year we ran into my Godmother and her family on the busiest day of the year! We had no idea they would be there. We were 1000 miles from home, they were 1100 miles from home! We came to find out that they are DVC members and go to DW almost every Christmas. I didn't know it, but their son moved to Florida and is a conductor for the WDWRR on the weekends!

cindymouse6
06-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Prior to our Beach club purchase, the guy at the kiosk back in 2003 had told us that rumor was there would be a DVC on the monorail, and the highest probablity would be CR.... tearing down the garden wings and building DVC towers.... interestingly that seems to be happening 4 years later.... we are not adding any more points until this happens! We have added 3 times to our original contract and are happy with our points --- but would buy more to get CR DVC as a home base... I sure hope it is DVC --- would make all the difference to my 3 toddlers!:marg: Cheers to a monorail DVC!